The whole process has been a shambles.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ashamedmum

Hi all.
firstly I’d just like to say how amazing this forum is, it has got me through some very hard times during this very long drawn out and draining process.
I got 23 month Ban back in July 2019 - a horrifying shameful mistake I made which has totally ruined my life.
I was offered and completed the awareness course (it was cancelled 3 times due to covid but luckily I completed it just just in time) which reduced my ban to 18 months - 23rd December 2020 was when my Ban would be lifted. So here’s the timescale.
I sent off my application on 20th October with the £90 fee and my completion certificate. I rang them 2 weeks later so see if the application had arrived and they said they’d sent it back as I didn’t tick a box. Very frustrated with myself but I thought ah well I’ll have to just amend it and send it back. A week later I see a letter from a dvla had arrived. I opened it to see that someone else’s driving licence application and doctors records had been sent to me instead! Absolutely livid because I then knew mine had been sent to someone else. I phoned them for them to just say we will have to put in an investigation as we won’t know where yours has gone! After another 3 phone call and plenty of tears of frustration I got to speak to a manager. She suggested the quickest way to deal with it was to send it ANOTHER application with ANOTHER £90 fee and my last copy of my completion certificate. Baring in mind my application had been sent to someone with all my personal details on it, passport number the lot. So went through the process again early November. I received another letter from them middle of November to say my ban wasn’t due to end until June 18th 2021 so I wasn’t eligible to apply for my licence. Another frustrating phone call to the dvla resulted in them saying they hadn’t received confirmation from the court that I had completed any course. So basically my certificate from TTC sent to the courts was lost. 4 days worth of phone calls to TTC and the courts resulted in me eventually getting TTC to email the courts my confirmation I’d completed the course. DVLA updated my ban on the 3rd week of November. They put it through as priority because of the mess about. I received a letter to book my medical (as I’m a HRO) on December the 3rd I think. Booked medical for 20th Jan. Received a letter 8th Feb to say they’d write to my GP for more info. I phoned my GP and asked him to go through the form with me on the 9th Feb and he said he had no concerns with my drinking (I’m not a regular drinker anyway) and he would fax it through the same day so it speeds things up. So today is the 13th Feb. I’ve rang DVLA everyday since the 10th asking if they’ve received the fax from my doctor but they said it can take 6 working days for it to show on the system. Then it’s got to go to the decision making team. There’s no reason why I shouldn’t get my licence back, it’s just so frustrating all the waiting around especially since my ban ended on the 23rd December. Can’t even get my insurance until I get my license back, and the fact I will probably have to insure it for the day after is making the insurance quotes even higher.
I just wanted to share my experience with you all as I know it helped me reading other people’s experiences, and it gave me a bit of a warning as to not expect it to be an easy quick process. The Ban itself went pretty quick to be honest, but these last 3 months have drained the life out of me! I will keep you all updated once I hear from them but I’m not expecting it to be anytime soon 😢 Good luck to everyone who’s going through this process, I sincerely hope yours goes smoother than mine has 🤞

I think I can beat that one pal, I was banned in September 2016 for 3 years, sent application some time in october 2019 and done my medical November 2019. I then had a letter in January 2020 telling me they was contacting my GP. Pointless really cause I can't remember going to see my GP for years and years. I called and called and called... I won't keep writing but you can imagine how many times I called. I was told there was a delay and the earliest I would hear from them would be June 2020. Eventually I got a letter November 2020 telling me they require a urine sample and that they would pay for it so I phoned up to book one and the doctors receptionist told me the earliest was February 27th 2021earliest as they was "extremely busy". I got bored of waiting and called them mid January 2021 and asked for an earlier appointment and they gave me one on the 6th Feb 2021. Off I went to the appointment, on arrival I was told to use the hand sanitizer so I did, to my SURPRISE the waiting room was empty (yeh right busy I thought) I waited 30 minutes nearly falling asleep then was called in. On my way to the consultation room I used the hand sanitizer again, I was then asked to remove my jacket and pee into a beaker, right in front of the GP in his office so I whopped it out and started to urinate. While doing so I lifted my head to see what he was doing (he was watching the whole process) I accidentally peed on my hand, that pee went into the beaker and a bit on his carpet. As far as I'm aware, hand sanitizer contains alcohol doesn't it?? Personally I think the process is a total joke. I have been waiting almost 18 months after my ban for a decision and to be honest am totally p****d off. I have done my time and more and feel like I have been banned again. I have managed to pay my mortgage and keep my house by the skin of my teeth but need my license now to work as I was laid off due to Covid and also would like to take my father back and forth to his hospital appointments as paying for his taxis have ruined me. I called today and the bloke told me they would "notify me by letter of the outcome, its with the medical team now", when I asked how long he replied " I don't know sometimes there's a delay with the lab processing the test" ?? I'm confused.. They either have it or the lab does!! Does anyone know how much longer the process will take or should I just accept I won't get a reply till 2028 ?? What do you all think about the hand sanitizer thing as I'm thinking of making a complaint or will that not affect a urine sample ? Cheers all

Last edited:
I think I can beat that one pal, I was banned in September 2016 for 3 years, sent application some time in october 2019 and done my medical November 2019. I then had a letter telling me in January 2020 telling me they was contacting my GP. Pointless really cause I can't remember going to see my GP for years and years. I called and called and called... I won't keep writing but you can imagine how many times I called. I was told there was a delay and the earliest I would hear from them would be June 2020. Eventually I got a letter November 2020 telling me they require a urine sample and that they would pay for it so I phoned up to book one and the doctors receptionist told me the earliest was February 27th 2021earliest as they was "extremely busy". I got bored of waiting and called them mid January 2021 and asked for an earlier appointment and they gave me one on the 6th Feb 2021. Off I went to the appointment, on arrival I was told to use the hand sanitizer so I did, to my SURPRISE the waiting room was empty (yeh right busy I thought) I waited 30 minutes nearly falling asleep then was called in. On my way to the consultation room I used the hand sanitizer again, I was then asked to remove my jacket and pee into a beaker, right in front of the GP in his office so I whopped it out and started to urinate. While doing so I lifted my head to see what he was doing (he was watching the whole process) I accidentally peed on my hand, that pee went into the beaker and a bit on his carpet. As far as I'm aware, hand sanitizer contains alcohol doesn't it?? Personally I think the process is a total joke. I have been waiting almost 18 months after my ban for a decision and to be honest am totally p****d off. I have done my time and more and feel like I have been banned again. I have managed to pay my mortgage and keep my house by the skin of my teeth but need my license now to work as I was laid off due to Covid and also would like to take my father back and forth to his hospital appointments as paying for his taxis have ruined me. I called today and the bloke told me they would "notify me by letter of the outcome, its with the medical team now", when I asked how long he replied " I don't know sometimes there's a delay with the lab processing the test" ?? I'm confused.. They either have it or the lab does!! Does anyone know how much longer the process will take or should I just accept I won't get a reply till 2028 ?? What do you all think about the hand sanitizer thing as I'm thinking of making a complaint or will that not affect a urine sample ? Cheers all
The only reason they have asked for a urine sample is to test for drugs. It doesn't matter if the sample is contaminated with alcohol from the hand gel as they won't be checking it for alcohol. Obviously what has happened is that when they wrote to your GP, it was mentioned something to do with drugs in the past. You not seeing the GP in a long period has meant that they have had to report on their last notes, which won't be up to date if you haven't seen them for years...

DVLA are struggling with Covid at the moment, apparently there have been well over 500 cases in the Swansea offices and therefore people are working from home where possible. This is causing delays, as is getting the medicals in the first place because medical staff are prioritising covid.

As the medical team have your results now, it shouldn't be much longer - hopefully within the next week or so. Just hang in there and be patient. Call them a few times a week to chase progress.

This just goes to show why people should keep in contact with their GP to help with a speedy reissuing of licence as GP's are only able to reply with what they know, or what they think they know based on their notes.

Well it’s been a week since the doctor faxed my questionnaire to the DVLA, I’ve rang every day since and still no fax. I rang my doctors today and the receptionist told me he’d sent it by letter not by fax even though he told me he would fax it as he knows my business is dependent on it 😩 does anyone know how long it roughly takes once the info has been sent by post? The DVLA are getting fed up with me ringing up everyday, I keep getting told to leave it a week at a time. What I’m wondering is if there is anyway I can email them the form the doctor has sent, as I can see it on my medical records! It’s so frustrating I’m getting so fed up now 😥

Well it’s been a week since the doctor faxed my questionnaire to the DVLA, I’ve rang every day since and still no fax. I rang my doctors today and the receptionist told me he’d sent it by letter not by fax even though he told me he would fax it as he knows my business is dependent on it 😩 does anyone know how long it roughly takes once the info has been sent by post? The DVLA are getting fed up with me ringing up everyday, I keep getting told to leave it a week at a time. What I’m wondering is if there is anyway I can email them the form the doctor has sent, as I can see it on my medical records! It’s so frustrating I’m getting so fed up now 😥
It can take a couple of weeks from the GP sending the report to them scanning it on their system, and then another 1 - 2 weeks for them to review the report. Doesn't matter what they say, just call every day for an update. You sending an email will not help, they only accept emails from an NHS email account, and even then still takes time to 'scan' onto their system....

It can take a couple of weeks from the GP sending the report to them scanning it on their system, and then another 1 - 2 weeks for them to review the report. Doesn't matter what they say, just call every day for an update. You sending an email will not help, they only accept emails from an NHS email account, and even then still takes time to 'scan' onto their system....
Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Yes I’m still going to continue to ring, once I’ve given my details to them they don’t even give me chance to talk they just say “sorry no update as yet”. I’ve emailed Tim burton as suggested on here 4 times but no response from him either. So frustrating when you know there is literally nothing stopping me to receive it back. I know there’s a huge back log but doesn’t stop me from being very impatient.

The only reason they have asked for a urine sample is to test for drugs. It doesn't matter if the sample is contaminated with alcohol from the hand gel as they won't be checking it for alcohol. Obviously what has happened is that when they wrote to your GP, it was mentioned something to do with drugs in the past. You not seeing the GP in a long period has meant that they have had to report on their last notes, which won't be up to date if you haven't seen them for years...

DVLA are struggling with Covid at the moment, apparently there have been well over 500 cases in the Swansea offices and therefore people are working from home where possible. This is causing delays, as is getting the medicals in the first place because medical staff are prioritising covid.

As the medical team have your results now, it shouldn't be much longer - hopefully within the next week or so. Just hang in there and be patient. Call them a few times a week to chase progress.

This just goes to show why people should keep in contact with their GP to help with a speedy reissuing of licence as GP's are only able to reply with what they know, or what they think they know based on their notes.
Oh ok, so the hand gel won't be a problem then. I don't think I've ever spoke to my doctor about any kind of drugs, I don't take medication either but back when I had my blood test I was with my ex partner who smoked cannabis and so did my eldest son but I have not been around them for prolonged periods for a year now. I did have a case of someone spiking a drink some years ago, it totally messed me up and I woke up in hospital 2 days later on a mattress on the floor thinking I was in a mental hospital. The doctor said I had all sorts in my system including the date rape drug. I can't remember what it was specifically, suppose that would have been on my medical records although I never went to the GP. Oh well, I don't take drugs so should be fine.

Thanks for the reply I appreciate it. Yes I’m still going to continue to ring, once I’ve given my details to them they don’t even give me chance to talk they just say “sorry no update as yet”. I’ve emailed Tim burton as suggested on here 4 times but no response from him either. So frustrating when you know there is literally nothing stopping me to receive it back. I know there’s a huge back log but doesn’t stop me from being very impatient.

Keep checking the "Check license" status online. You need to put name, address, DOB and national insurance number. It will show up on that days before your license comes through. I think you will get yours on or around the 24th Feb

Keep checking the "Check license" status online. You need to put name, address, DOB and national insurance number. It will show up on that days before your license comes through. I think you will get yours on or around the 24th Feb
I’ve been doing that everyday since my medical 🤣 oh I really do hope so. Will update once I do, thankyou very much 👍

Any news yet, Did you get yours back ?
Hey, yes Licence issued last Saturday happy days! So the doctor posted my questionnaire out in the Wednesday, dvla received it 8 days later on the Thursday, I rang them on the Friday to be told I had a full 10 year licence 😄 got my cdt results back yesterday and they were 0.7, I’d been quite lucky really as I did stupidly drink 2 bottles of wine 12 days prior to the medical but I’m not e regular drinker so I think that may of evened it out. I’m soooo happy to be back on the road! Insurance was a joke but it was to be expected really. Any news on yours?

Hey, yes Licence issued last Saturday happy days! So the doctor posted my questionnaire out in the Wednesday, dvla received it 8 days later on the Thursday, I rang them on the Friday to be told I had a full 10 year licence 😄 got my cdt results back yesterday and they were 0.7, I’d been quite lucky really as I did stupidly drink 2 bottles of wine 12 days prior to the medical but I’m not e regular drinker so I think that may of evened it out. I’m soooo happy to be back on the road! Insurance was a joke but it was to be expected really. Any news on yours?
Congrats! Been waiting aswell haha done my medical on 23rd of January still waiting 🤬 got the test result 1.3 no license yet

Congrats! Been waiting aswell haha done my medical on 23rd of January still waiting 🤬 got the test result 1.3 no license yet
Wow that’s strange, everyone I know got their cdt results after they receive the licence, have you checked online or rang them?

Ahh I see. Shouldn’t be too much longer then if I had mine 20th Jan. Keep pestering them, they put me on priority after putting in a complaint.
Please share the email you put the complaint to. I'm gonna complain tomorrow. My ban ended 4/1/21

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off