The DVLA just rang me!!

Convicted Driver Insurance
Had a medical and blood test to try and get my licence back following a drink driving conviction 5 years ago. I have been sent a letter say that they are writing to my gp for further information. Do this mean that I have passes the medical part. Would they really go to the trouble of writing to my gp if I hadn't?
Depends on whether your GP classes your drinking as misuse or dependence as the markers for acceptable CDT are different depending on the classification. Think they look for anything under 1%. Some people on this forum have reported that they still contacted their GP even with CDT as low as 0.2%

I wouldn’t read to much into it. It comes down to what information your GP has on you.

Had a medical and blood test to try and get my licence back following a drink driving conviction 5 years ago. I have been sent a letter say that they are writing to my gp for further information. Do this mean that I have passes the medical part. Would they really go to the trouble of writing to my gp if I hadn't?
Also important to note that a low CDT reading is not the only thing they are looking for in regards to giving your license back. The answers on the questionnaire and what the GP says will have an impact on the final decision.

Depends on whether your GP classes your drinking as misuse or dependence as the markers for acceptable CDT are different depending on the classification. Think they look for anything under 1%. Some people on this forum have reported that they still contacted their GP even with CDT as low as 0.2%

I wouldn’t read to much into it. It comes down to what information your GP has on you.
Not alot I haven't seen them for 2 years. Never seen them with anything alcohol related

Probably can't remember what questions they were though
Oh well it’s probably important you do know which ones as my GP called me to assist them in answering the questions (the GP will get a very similar questionnaire to fill out). You would want to make sure they match up with what you have already told the DVLA.

Oh well it’s probably important you do know which ones as my GP called me to assist them in answering the questions (the GP will get a very similar questionnaire to fill out). You would want to make sure they match up with what you have already told the DVLA.
I was honest and didn't answer to anything that would affect negatively in getting my licence back. I am concerned that I have not seen my gp for 2 years and how he would be able to answer any questionnaire

I was honest and didn't answer to anything that would affect negatively in getting my licence back. I am concerned that I have not seen my gp for 2 years and how he would be able to answer any questionnaire
Fair enough. I had changed GP surgery’s recently and therefore had never met my GP. So they rang me to go through the questionnaire. So I wouldn’t worry about it. If you have never discussed alcohol with any GP and nothing is on your record then I wouldn’t be concerned in any way.

I think that they frequently write to GP as part of the procedure . I hope that this doesn’t dishearten you : I feel that it is just process . Having said this , I’m sure that you will have done everything necessary to prepare for the medical so there will br every reason to feel positive.

How have you dealt with your addiction Pane? (Sorry, noticed after I'd posted this that you have been sober for 18 months - well done.)

You sound a bit like me just before my 2nd ban.

I joined AA and have now been sober for 27 months.

After I attended the drink driving awareness course, I realised that everyone who drink heavily on a Saturday night then pops out for the paper and a bacon roll at 10.00am on a Sunday morning is driving while legally drunk in Scotland.
I'm 35 now and got sober when I was 26 and stayed sober for 6 years, but didn't do anything and just stayed in all the time.

I relapsed and after sobering up I dealt with anxiety and depression that had been with me for years, and during my 6 sober years.

I tried AA but I can't get past the religious part and, even if I could, I'm not sure it's for me.

All I know is that I'm much more active now, have a girlfriend that I'll marry, a dog, and just seem to be able to cope with stressful situations without even contemplating a drink.

There's no doubt that AA helped at the start and for that I'll be forever in it's debt.

I'm 35 now and got sober when I was 26 and stayed sober for 6 years, but didn't do anything and just stayed in all the time.

I relapsed and after sobering up I dealt with anxiety and depression that had been with me for years, and during my 6 sober years.

I tried AA but I can't get past the religious part and, even if I could, I'm not sure it's for me.

All I know is that I'm much more active now, have a girlfriend that I'll marry, a dog, and just seem to be able to cope with stressful situations without even contemplating a drink.

There's no doubt that AA helped at the start and for that I'll be forever in it's debt.
That's great. I'm sorry you felt hiding away for 6 years was the only way to stay sober but that you have now found that getting out and about and doing things helps you cope.

I know what you mean about the religious side of AA, but personally I have never found this to be something that is rammed down your throat as a pre-requisite for being a member.

I haven't done the programme and I don't think I will. Probably to scared to discover all my faults anyway. What I enjoy (if that's that's the right word,) is hearing about other peoples lives and about the things I haven't done but could do if I went back on the sauce.

What also surprised me was the number of people that use AA as a social club. All their friends are in AA and all their activities are based around AA. This is fine if it works for them but it is not for me.

Good luck with the future and let's hope we all get our licences back without too much drama.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off