The Drink Driving Rehabilitation Course

Convicted Driver Insurance
Morning

I was convicted of drink driving on the 27th February this year and banned for 28 months. Therefore if I served the full term of my ban I wouldn't be eligible to drive until midnight on the 27th June 2021.

However, the court offered me the drink driving reduction course that would reduce my ban by 28 weeks. I think there are some slight misconceptions about the 25% reduction because courts NEVER give you 25% time off your ban after completing the course. For example, 25% of my own ban is actually 30 weeks (7 months exactly) and NOT 28 weeks. People that get a standard 12 month ban get 12 weeks reduction from the court when 25% is actually 13 weeks!

When I was given the leaflet in court the TTC company had published the 25% number on the cover which I find very misleading. When I did my own calculations about my own ban I worked out originally that I should be eligible for the return of my licence by the end of November 2020 (before I learned I get 28 weeks and not 30) when in fact I won't get it back until around the 13th December once I had worked out the maths. I actually raised this with the lady from TTC who I spoke to when booking my course over the telephone.

The course itself was pretty straight forward and relaxed. The course is 18 hours long and is run over three days. Day one is only four hours, while day two and three are seven hours (this is taking out your coffee and lunch breaks). When providing feedback I suggested that I would much prefer to have done just two longer days rather than doing a shorter day. The main reason for this was because of travelling and paying for bus or train fares. One lady on my course had to catch two buses to the venue which was in a community centre.

The availability of courses provided by the TTC is limited and unfortunately the town where I live only ran one course at the time that had already been booked up. I them plumped for a course in a neighbouring town which took half an hour on the bus so I didn't have any great difficulty getting there.

There were 16 of us on the course and we were divided into four tables of four people. The three people at my table were all at different stages of their bans and again the bans varied in length. As I've said in another post on another thread, my conviction cost me my job but my three table companions had not suffered the same fate and were all gainfully employed. One had her own marketing business, the second was a nurse and the third was an accountant. The nurse did say she had been subject to a hearing in front of her supervisors at work because of the implications of any potential alcohol problems which are a massive discipline issue for people in the medical profession. She did say as the drink driving was committed on her rest day, her line manager had decided to put her on an action plan and she was potentially faced with regular drug/alcohol testing at in the work place.

The course trainer was a very humble bloke approaching the end of his working life. He had worked in the brewery industry most of his career and saw first hand what alcohol did to people in the hundreds of pubs he traded with and work colleagues who developed drinking problems because of the environment they worked in. He had worked for TTC for about fifteen years and was retiring by the end of the year as he had recently turned 70.

Like, I said the course was pretty chilled out and was quite interesting in parts such as the exercises you do about multiple alcohol units and how long they stay in your blood stream. Other parts of the course were quite mundane and I didn't really learn anything I didn't know already about the law and the impact on people's lives through drink driving.

One thing I will raise is that the course trainer did mention he could breathalise people on the course and anyone found to be turning up on the day with alcohol in their system would be dismissed from course (even though they have not driven a car or committed any new offences). Course dismissals will see people losing their entitlement to get their ban reduction and they will lose the course fee that is non refundable in these circumstances. What TTC want is to see that course candidates have at least addressed any alcohol issues and are making positive changes to get their licences back.

One lady was removed from the course because she clearly had severe alcohol problems and had tried to self detox herself so she could pass the breathaliser if she was asked. Sadly, the lady in question turned up for the second day of the course and was clearly shaking and sweating from alcohol withdrawal. The course trainer became aware that she was struggling with alcohol addiction and had to halt the course while he took her into another room and contacted her daughter to come and collect her from the venue. Sadly, in that case she never came back and the trainer was very upfront in saying she needed to address her addiction before even considering getting her licence back.

I hope what I have published on here will come in useful. The course is enjoyable and you are not judged on your mistakes. Also the course will not push you to talk about your own circumstances surrounding your ban if you feel you do not want to discuss it so again there is respect shown to people's privacy and the is no pressure to open up to others about your problems.

C J

What is likely to happen after BJ said people should start to go back to work will the DDR course likely start again

Advice to all. If you are charged and it is your first offence, in most circumstances you will be offered the course. Research providers locally before you attend court so you can request to be referred to a provider you like the look of.

I didn't do this and just decided to go with the "cheapest" of the 2 or 3 leaflets I was handed. There was no time for me to properly make the decision in court!

I initially went with a provider who was very happy to take my payment, but then proceeded to not confirm the course details to me in writing as they promised. After several calls and emails with no response they said I would be called a few days before the course to confirm arrangements and the first course they had was 7 months away.

I found this to be completely unacceptable so despite losing my money I decided to re-book with another provider and the experience was like chalk and cheese. The new provider booked me onto a course quickly (weekend course too) informed the court put everything in writing and sent text message reminders. Having this proper communication is essential if like me you suffer with anxiety. When eventually took the course I was very pleased with how it was organised and presented.

I'm sorry to say I think some providers are running this as a racket and have no skills in dealing with people sensitively and properly.

Thankfully the magistrates allowed me to take course at first I thought great it gets time off the ban but after reading about the course I thought oh no it’s going to be judgemental and boring etc. The course started in January this year for 3 weeks via zoom due to lockdown after completing the course my views have completely changed I felt it was very worthwhile getting to know things like units how to work them out how long it takes to leave the body but more importantly the effect alcohol has on you in general, it’s made me reduce my intake quite a lot. The instructor made everyone feel welcome only asking them to talk about their situation if they wanted to and by the end everyone was involved. I really have learnt a huge amount from the rehabilitation course it’s not just there for a reduction in your ban it’s there for you to learn about your actions and changing your relationship with alcohol before/if you get your license back.

Thankfully the magistrates allowed me to take course at first I thought great it gets time off the ban but after reading about the course I thought oh no it’s going to be judgemental and boring etc. The course started in January this year for 3 weeks via zoom due to lockdown after completing the course my views have completely changed I felt it was very worthwhile getting to know things like units how to work them out how long it takes to leave the body but more importantly the effect alcohol has on you in general, it’s made me reduce my intake quite a lot. The instructor made everyone feel welcome only asking them to talk about their situation if they wanted to and by the end everyone was involved. I really have learnt a huge amount from the rehabilitation course it’s not just there for a reduction in your ban it’s there for you to learn about your actions and changing your relationship with alcohol before/if you get your license back.
Forgot to add that in doing the zoom course you don’t get the certificate on the day not sure if you did before. So you have to wait for it in the post been waiting 9 days now which is slowing me wanting to have the medical as DVLA won’t recognise that my band is up within 90 days.

the certificate has always been sent after the end of the course, not issued on the last day.
The standard for running DDRS courses is that the certificate is to be issued within 14 days so you should get it soon.
Have you got the D1 ready to submit when the certificate arrives? The usual advice is to wait 7 days from the certificate arriving before you apply, to allow for the court to have informed DVLA of the reduction.... and just in case, sent a copy of the certificate with the application.

the certificate has always been sent after the end of the course, not issued on the last day.
The standard for running DDRS courses is that the certificate is to be issued within 14 days so you should get it soon.
Have you got the D1 ready to submit when the certificate arrives? The usual advice is to wait 7 days from the certificate arriving before you apply, to allow for the court to have informed DVLA of the reduction.... and just in case, sent a copy of the certificate with the application.
I wasn’t sure if that was the case thought It might be, I’m all ready to go have the d1 filled in and thank you for letting me know to wait as soon as get this certificate I’d have sent it off. I’ll wait the 7 days and send a copy thank you.

I just want to warn others about Aspire Driver Training.

Today I have attended a zoom call as the third part of the drink driving course. The first two parts I attended in person but due to train strikes I was allowed to switch to online for the cost of £60. I was told by my previous trainer 'Pete' that this cost was to set up a course especially for those switching to online. This also seemed very dubious to me as actually I was put with an existing course, so where that £60 went I have no idea.
The privacy rules are strictly that only course participants can be in the room as the course is dealing with sensitive and very private information. This was breached more than once and nothing was done. One course member told the group his mum was listening to the course through the door, the course leader said 'she can only hear you can't she?' but how can that be the case with all of our voices audible on zoom? Nothing was done. Later in the day the same course members children came into the room.
Another incident was another member's translator appeared on screen next to him. This had not been communicated to us as a possibility and all I knew was this woman appeared on screen and was listening to my personal stuff. Considering that my personal history of the incident concerned is to do with very sensitive mental health issues pertaining to a suicide attempt, the element of privacy is PARAMOUNT to me.
I was sufficiently alarmed by this woman's appearance that I broke the rule of not using phones to discreetly text my husband to tell him what happened as I knew he could contact the emergency number to get it sorted. Yes I breached a rule but with good reason.
At lunch I spoke to the MD of aspire Jo Chapman and I'm sorry to say that this is the rudest and least professional person I have ever ever spoken to. She is just plain nasty.
Basically she borderline accused me of being a liar about the woman/ translator appearing on screen. When I re-joined the course in the afternoon the first thing that happened was this other guys kids came in the room! It was a total joke! Privacy was still being completely disrespected! So yes I texted my husband again to see if he could contact Aspire again. I also texted the Aspire number to point out what was happening. I was then kicked off the course!
Myself and my husband then had the most bizarre phone conversations with this woman in charge Jo. She is very unpleasant and doesn't listen or show any sympathy or understanding to the fact someone with mental health problems who is even on the course due to a suicide attempt, might want privacy. Yes I am writing about this personal stuff on here because I am willing to out myself to show up this unethical company and save other people with mental health issues from dealing with them. I just don't know how she has the job that she has.
Eventually she told my husband I could re join a further online course for ANOTHER £60!! It's just plain immoral money grabbing. When you speak to this woman on the phone if you very slightly raise your voice because you are upset she hangs up on you, if you talk in a calm voice as my husband did she accuses you of treating her like a child. Communication with this woman is impossible.
I am going to take this further and try to get all my money back. This whole experience has upset me more than I can say. AVOID

Hi, I was wondering why CDT levels are not explained on the course as its a great way to stop people drinking.

Hi, I was wondering why CDT levels are not explained on the course as its a great way to stop people drinking.

A large number of course participants don’t fall into the HRO category, so it would potentially waste valuable course time discussing the CDT DVLA medical process. The TTC focus their course content on the dangers of drink driving and how everyone can learn from their experience of the breathalyser.

CJ

I just want to warn others about Aspire Driver Training.

Today I have attended a zoom call as the third part of the drink driving course. The first two parts I attended in person but due to train strikes I was allowed to switch to online for the cost of £60. I was told by my previous trainer 'Pete' that this cost was to set up a course especially for those switching to online. This also seemed very dubious to me as actually I was put with an existing course, so where that £60 went I have no idea.
The privacy rules are strictly that only course participants can be in the room as the course is dealing with sensitive and very private information. This was breached more than once and nothing was done. One course member told the group his mum was listening to the course through the door, the course leader said 'she can only hear you can't she?' but how can that be the case with all of our voices audible on zoom? Nothing was done. Later in the day the same course members children came into the room.
Another incident was another member's translator appeared on screen next to him. This had not been communicated to us as a possibility and all I knew was this woman appeared on screen and was listening to my personal stuff. Considering that my personal history of the incident concerned is to do with very sensitive mental health issues pertaining to a suicide attempt, the element of privacy is PARAMOUNT to me.
I was sufficiently alarmed by this woman's appearance that I broke the rule of not using phones to discreetly text my husband to tell him what happened as I knew he could contact the emergency number to get it sorted. Yes I breached a rule but with good reason.
At lunch I spoke to the MD of aspire Jo Chapman and I'm sorry to say that this is the rudest and least professional person I have ever ever spoken to. She is just plain nasty.
Basically she borderline accused me of being a liar about the woman/ translator appearing on screen. When I re-joined the course in the afternoon the first thing that happened was this other guys kids came in the room! It was a total joke! Privacy was still being completely disrespected! So yes I texted my husband again to see if he could contact Aspire again. I also texted the Aspire number to point out what was happening. I was then kicked off the course!
Myself and my husband then had the most bizarre phone conversations with this woman in charge Jo. She is very unpleasant and doesn't listen or show any sympathy or understanding to the fact someone with mental health problems who is even on the course due to a suicide attempt, might want privacy. Yes I am writing about this personal stuff on here because I am willing to out myself to show up this unethical company and save other people with mental health issues from dealing with them. I just don't know how she has the job that she has.
Eventually she told my husband I could re join a further online course for ANOTHER £60!! It's just plain immoral money grabbing. When you speak to this woman on the phone if you very slightly raise your voice because you are upset she hangs up on you, if you talk in a calm voice as my husband did she accuses you of treating her like a child. Communication with this woman is impossible.
I am going to take this further and try to get all my money back. This whole experience has upset me more than I can say. AVOID
When i did my course, there were 2 people who used a translator. We were told during the first session. But it wasn't mentioned again. Perhaps as you joined late on due to your circumstances this is why you weren't aware.

Also I had to have my children home one day due to the schools being closed when it was 40c heat. They popped in a couple of times to grab a drink, you can't help these things. Also they are children so don't listen to what's being said on the course.

Using your phone is completely different to a translator or children walking in. So I'm sorry, but I think you're actually lucky they are giving you a chance to retake the last session again

My solicitor at court told me to agree to the course and 'whether you actually do it or not' it would reduce the ban. I found that rather an interesting comment. I'll do it anyway, but still...

My solicitor at court told me to agree to the course and 'whether you actually do it or not' it would reduce the ban. I found that rather an interesting comment. I'll do it anyway, but still...
He is completely and utterly wrong. If you don't do it (and complete it in full by contributing during the meetings), the course provider won't write to say you have completed it and therefore your licence won't be released early. If your solicitor is saying that, I'd ask for your money back! Seems like he graduated from the same law school as Saul Goodman..................................

Big Tom is correct, you won’t get a reduction unless you do the course. If you look at your licence details on the government website it will only show your reduced ban when they receive the course completion certificate ! Can’t believe a solicitor would say that!!

You will have to complete the course in full to get a reduced ban . Once I completed the course they informed the court and DVLA I also got a copy of completion . I did my course asap it really wasn’t bad at all and actually quite informative. I’ve recently contacted the DVLA to check my ban end date and they confirmed my ban had been reduced roll on April. Hope this helps

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off