The beginning of being caught drink driving

Convicted Driver Insurance
Evening all

I honestly don’t know what to get from this but I have read through some of the forums and I’m just looking for some guidance, support and light.
I was charged yesterday for driving under the influence and my breath test was 42.02. They have said I have to wait on my court date which could be from now to well over a year -2 years due to Covid and the courts being so behind and stacked. I don’t remember them reading me the charges or even it all only parts and this evening is the only time I’ve moved from the same spot since I got released and brought home because I’m still in shock at my stupidity. The officers were brilliant with me, really calming, reassuring and they said they will be putting in the report about how well mannered, cooperative, polite and apologetic & distressed regarding it. They handed my keys back to me late last night and said not to worry and put it at the back or my mind as I can still drive as I have not been convicted and it could be a long time till this happens. I have spoken to a criminal lawyer and he says I will get 12 month ban (9 if do the course, which I will) and a fine, do you get points on your license too? He didn’t specify this? I accept full liability and I will accept the punishment to come for my stupidity but why can’t I stop crying and feel like I’ll never get through this? I’ve never been in trouble with the law, no previous driving incidents not even a parking ticket, I was terrified being in the process room and the whole process of it all and I still am I’m traumatised. I won’t be touching drink ever again, it's ruined my life. I work in childcare as a teaching assistant and I’m terrified I lose my job now because I will have a criminal record (I am sssc & pvg checked, I’m in Scotland). I think I’m just looking for reassurance that there is life after this, you can work in childcare still and my whole career I’ve had for 18 years is not going to taken from me because I made the biggest mistake of my life and I will suffer for the rest of my life. My mental health isn’t the best at times and I’m on medication for it especially anxiety, I want the court to be quick but it’s not looking likely as the officers said. If it’s in a year or over then I could have “done my time” by then but instead I could be having to wait over the ban time to then be convicted later than the actual incident if that makes sense. Does the embarrassment end? Does the tears end? Any advice anyone 😢

Hi there,

Don't worry, when I went on the drink drive course there was a woman on it from child social services!!! She kept her job no problem, but had to commute a different way (Public transport). You can get points, fine and obviously the ban. I just got the ban and a fine but they can put points on yes.

Just enjoy driving whilst you still can, I am not sure how your career will take it since it's with children they may run a random CRB check and will see it anyway. The embarrassment will typically never end, it will not be spent for 5 years, even after this it will still appear on your licence for a while 11 years, after this its on your criminal record for 100 years.

It's always going to be there unfortunately, but 12 months absolutely fly by! So please don't worry.

Hi there,

Don't worry, when I went on the drink drive course there was a woman on it from child social services!!! She kept her job no problem, but had to commute a different way (Public transport). You can get points, fine and obviously the ban. I just got the ban and a fine but they can put points on yes.

Just enjoy driving whilst you still can, I am not sure how your career will take it since it's with children they may run a random CRB check and will see it anyway. The embarrassment will typically never end, it will not be spent for 5 years, even after this it will still appear on your licence for a while 11 years, after this its on your criminal record for 100 years.

It's always going to be there unfortunately, but 12 months absolutely fly by! So please don't worry.
Thank you so much for replying, my fear is the length of time it takes for me to get to court, the whole process of it all also scares me, I’ve not eaten or drank anything I can because I keep being sick and crying so hard. I’m trying not to worry and I’m going to speak with my mental health nurse tomorrow for maybe something to help me sleep and calm me. With the course will they be able to do it with Covid? What does the course entitle? Like group therapy or one to ones? I would rather know what to expect than have my mind over think it more. I was going to be honest with my work but I am leaving at the end of April so I don’t know if it’s worth telling them? I am in a job already out with that one but I am still pvg checked so I might just update the actual authority first? Do people look at you differently? My close family and 1 friend have been really supportive as it’s not my natural character and out of character 100% for me to even risk it but I did and got caught, I’m not telling anyone outwith who would notice I am not driving anywhere.

Thank you so much for replying, my fear is the length of time it takes for me to get to court, the whole process of it all also scares me, I’ve not eaten or drank anything I can because I keep being sick and crying so hard. I’m trying not to worry and I’m going to speak with my mental health nurse tomorrow for maybe something to help me sleep and calm me. With the course will they be able to do it with Covid? What does the course entitle? Like group therapy or one to ones? I would rather know what to expect than have my mind over think it more. I was going to be honest with my work but I am leaving at the end of April so I don’t know if it’s worth telling them? I am in a job already out with that one but I am still pvg checked so I might just update the actual authority first? Do people look at you differently? My close family and 1 friend have been really supportive as it’s not my natural character and out of character 100% for me to even risk it but I did and got caught, I’m not telling anyone outwith who would notice I am not driving anywhere.
First thing you need to do a calm down. Things are still very fresh and the experience has shaken your confidence. We get quite a few new members who come on the forum looking for advise and support and you have found a really friendly place with some great knowledge will help you through the process. Most of us have been in your position so know how you are feeling.

First thing you need to do a calm down. Things are still very fresh and the experience has shaken your confidence. We get quite a few new members who come on the forum looking for advise and support and you have found a really friendly place with some great knowledge will help you through the process. Most of us have been in your position so know how you are feeling.
Thank you for your reply, I’m glad I came across the forum i think it’s going to help me, It is so raw and fresh and I know I’ll process it eventually, I’ve not slept properly but I’m exhausted tonight so I know I’ll sleep and tomorrow will be a different day.

Hi again,

Yes I am pretty sure Covid will be fine to do it in, they have re-opened theory tests the past few days too, so I'm assuming they will open the courses. The course is basically videos and quizzes designed to think before driving after a drink, you will see videos of those who have been affected by drink driving such as losses etc. It's really nothing to worry about since there will be such a wide range of people there. No need to tell them, if you signed a contract specifically about criminal convictions, then you must.

The only people that will look at you differently I have personally found are employers with driving jobs, the chances of getting that job have just been sliced by 90%, thought there is a 10% willing to give you a chance, this is driving jobs by the way.

Please do not worry, have something to eat and relax. Your sentence will pass by very quickly.

Evening all

I honestly don’t know what to get from this but I have read through some of the forums and I’m just looking for some guidance, support and light.
I was charged yesterday for driving under the influence and my breath test was 42.02. They have said I have to wait on my court date which could be from now to well over a year -2 years due to Covid and the courts being so behind and stacked. I don’t remember them reading me the charges or even it all only parts and this evening is the only time I’ve moved from the same spot since I got released and brought home because I’m still in shock at my stupidity. The officers were brilliant with me, really calming, reassuring and they said they will be putting in the report about how well mannered, cooperative, polite and apologetic & distressed regarding it. They handed my keys back to me late last night and said not to worry and put it at the back or my mind as I can still drive as I have not been convicted and it could be a long time till this happens. I have spoken to a criminal lawyer and he says I will get 12 month ban (9 if do the course, which I will) and a fine, do you get points on your license too? He didn’t specify this? I accept full liability and I will accept the punishment to come for my stupidity but why can’t I stop crying and feel like I’ll never get through this? I’ve never been in trouble with the law, no previous driving incidents not even a parking ticket, I was terrified being in the process room and the whole process of it all and I still am I’m traumatised. I won’t be touching drink ever again, it's ruined my life. I work in childcare as a teaching assistant and I’m terrified I lose my job now because I will have a criminal record (I am sssc & pvg checked, I’m in Scotland). I think I’m just looking for reassurance that there is life after this, you can work in childcare still and my whole career I’ve had for 18 years is not going to taken from me because I made the biggest mistake of my life and I will suffer for the rest of my life. My mental health isn’t the best at times and I’m on medication for it especially anxiety, I want the court to be quick but it’s not looking likely as the officers said. If it’s in a year or over then I could have “done my time” by then but instead I could be having to wait over the ban time to then be convicted later than the actual incident if that makes sense. Does the embarrassment end? Does the tears end? Any advice anyone 😢
As you are in Scotland, most drink drivers get 12 months, the ‘sliding scale’ on disqualification in the rest of the UK does not apply there. You can get a reduction of 25% by accepting a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course, but Scotland Sheriffs do not always offer one, so make sure you ask before your case is closed on the day, as it cannot be offered afterwards.
The courses are running online at the moment, but by the time you are ddue to attend one, unless we are in lockdown 27, there should be actual classes available.
You get a DR10 endorsement on your licence, but there are no actual points for drink driving.
When you go to court, dress smartly and take a couple of written character references with you to hand in.
It will show up on your PVG, in fact Scottish rules mean that they automatically inform your employer of the conviction, unlike the English system where it only comes up when a check is done after perhaps 2 or 3 years.

As you are in Scotland, most drink drivers get 12 months, the ‘sliding scale’ on disqualification in the rest of the UK does not apply there. You can get a reduction of 25% by accepting a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course, but Scotland Sheriffs do not always offer one, so make sure you ask before your case is closed on the day, as it cannot be offered afterwards.
The courses are running online at the moment, but by the time you are ddue to attend one, unless we are in lockdown 27, there should be actual classes available.
You get a DR10 endorsement on your licence, but there are no actual points for drink driving.
When you go to court, dress smartly and take a couple of written character references with you to hand in.
It will show up on your PVG, in fact Scottish rules mean that they automatically inform your employer of the conviction, unlike the English system where it only comes up when a check is done after perhaps 2 or 3 years.
Thank you for your reply, my lawyer has instructed he will put it forward that I wish to attend the course on the day of court. I spoke with my GP this morning and mental health nurse and they are going to put forward references for me also. Thank you that’s really helpful and I’m glad I can still attend one. I have attended court before as a witness but never on the opposing side but I always dress smartly but I will ensure that I do then too thank you, do they inform your employer as of date of arrest of the day you are convicted? I asked the police and they said there’s no need just now as I have not been convicted yet. The place of permanent employment ends in April but I will still remain on a pvg and the sssc due to me working in and around schools still. The doctor assured me that they can not sack me due to it but may be a little tougher to receive a new job. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on date of charge to date of conviction with DD? I know there is for some other cases but it doesn’t specifically explain what. Sorry for all the questions. And thank you for all your support though <3

Thank you for your reply, my lawyer has instructed he will put it forward that I wish to attend the course on the day of court. I spoke with my GP this morning and mental health nurse and they are going to put forward references for me also. Thank you that’s really helpful and I’m glad I can still attend one. I have attended court before as a witness but never on the opposing side but I always dress smartly but I will ensure that I do then too thank you, do they inform your employer as of date of arrest of the day you are convicted? I asked the police and they said there’s no need just now as I have not been convicted yet. The place of permanent employment ends in April but I will still remain on a pvg and the sssc due to me working in and around schools still. The doctor assured me that they can not sack me due to it but may be a little tougher to receive a new job. Does anyone know if there is a time limit on date of charge to date of conviction with DD? I know there is for some other cases but it doesn’t specifically explain what. Sorry for all the questions. And thank you for all your support though <3
Just out of interest. When you were released you are normally given an "undertaking" to appear in court on a set date, along with your 2 breath readings......Did the police not do this ?.....Glad you got a lift home, I was tossed out of the police station, 15 miles from home at 5 o clock in the morning....🤢

Just out of interest. When you were released you are normally given an "undertaking" to appear in court on a set date, along with your 2 breath readings......Did the police not do this ?.....Glad you got a lift home, I was tossed out of the police station, 15 miles from home at 5 o clock in the morning....🤢
No I was only given a receipt of my reading and a leaflet of what to expect while being processed to read while I waited and a cup of water and then brought home. I didn’t show id, give finger prints or anything. I was taken in at 450am and home by 6am, I asked the police when they dropped my keys off later that evening about my charge sheet copy (lawyer asked for it) and he said to forget about the whole thing as it could be a year to 2 years till it goes to court because of Covid, rather it was over now not hanging over my head and punished mentally for longer than the repercussion

No I was only given a receipt of my reading and a leaflet of what to expect while being processed to read while I waited and a cup of water and then brought home. I didn’t show id, give finger prints or anything. I was taken in at 450am and home by 6am, I asked the police when they dropped my keys off later that evening about my charge sheet copy (lawyer asked for it) and he said to forget about the whole thing as it could be a year to 2 years till it goes to court because of Covid, rather it was over now not hanging over my head and punished mentally for longer than the repercussion
I was arrested in my house at 6pm....ferried to Govan police station (despite a traffic sub division less than a mile away) breathalised at 7.30 pm. no legal representation despite repeated requests, no phone call despite repeated requests as i was a carer for my elderly mother and needed care cover....I was charged on April 6th 2020, released on an "undertaking" at 5am April 7th 2020 to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on July 7th 2020......seems they operate in a different way if your face doesnt fit...(I had no Previous convictions or parking tickets either)..

I was arrested in my house at 6pm....ferried to Govan police station (despite a traffic sub division less than a mile away) breathalised at 7.30 pm. no legal representation despite repeated requests, no phone call despite repeated requests as i was a carer for my elderly mother and needed care cover....I was charged on April 6th 2020, released on an "undertaking" at 5am April 7th 2020 to appear at Glasgow Sheriff Court on July 7th 2020......seems they operate in a different way if your face doesnt fit...(I had no Previous convictions or parking tickets either)..
That’s shocking! What a way to be treated. I can hand on heart say the officers were brilliant with me and I’ve had a call to check how I am this morning and confirm I had my keys back, as from what I can remember I was a bubbling mess, in a haze from complete shock of the cells and process of it all and visibly still shaking later At night when they returned my keys. What did you blow at? I don’t think it’s if your face fits I think it’s more the officers you have dealing with it and how you are with them also.

That’s shocking! What a way to be treated. I can hand on heart say the officers were brilliant with me and I’ve had a call to check how I am this morning and confirm I had my keys back, as from what I can remember I was a bubbling mess, in a haze from complete shock of the cells and process of it all and visibly still shaking later At night when they returned my keys. What did you blow at? I don’t think it’s if your face fits I think it’s more the officers you have dealing with it and how you are with them also.
Sorry....ive not really made myself clear....im not criticising the way
i was dealt with (ok i am ).....but am just wondering if the police followed correct procedure. I can only go on what ive read here,and how i was dealt with.....but for the Police to say dont worry about it, you will not be in court for a year or two is just plain wrong....a high court case, yes.....but you will be dealt with at a ten minute sheriff court case....plus you werent fingerprinted or charged....a point your lawyer has obviously noted.....im not trying to give you hope......but why didnt they charge you ? were you bailed ?....if you were,as ive said previously,you should of received an "undertaking" to appear in court on a set date....there is a lot more people on here that know better than me and will advise you.

Sorry....ive not really made myself clear....im not criticising the way
i was dealt with (ok i am ).....but am just wondering if the police followed correct procedure. I can only go on what ive read here,and how i was dealt with.....but for the Police to say dont worry about it, you will not be in court for a year or two is just plain wrong....a high court case, yes.....but you will be dealt with at a ten minute sheriff court case....plus you werent fingerprinted or charged....a point your lawyer has obviously noted.....im not trying to give you hope......but why didnt they charge you ? were you bailed ?....if you were,as ive said previously,you should of received an "undertaking" to appear in court on a set date....there is a lot more people on here that know better than me and will advise you.
No it’s okay think things can be taken in the wrong way over a message don’t worry I understand. I was also given water before my breath test which shouldn’t have been given till after it says in their leaflet. I’m not sure what the protocol is as I’ve never been through it or have family to ask. They read out a statement to me saying anything I say will and can be used in court and I only remember saying I’m sorry after he said that but can’t remember what they actually read out? Maybe it was the charge? I signed it what ever it was, I wasn’t cuffed either, had my phone on me the whole time too, I did ask him when he handed my keys over is it drink driving under the influence I have been charged with and he didn’t answer me he just asked me to sign to get my keys back and that’s when he said look please don’t worry and put this to the back of you mind it could be from now to 1-2 years by time it gets to court due to the back log of cases in front of me due to Covid but for now you can drive so please don’t worry. No court date or anything? My lawyer said it would come through the post and when it did then he could take on my case but until then he can’t prepare only advise? And they didn’t mention bail once through it all

It’s still early days & you are just processing all it means & sadly the implications with a criminal record
But we have all been through it all with our own experience & we try to support people - whatever you think it’s a new chapter of life & one you know who your friends are & you will develop resilience ( plus a good knowledge of local public transport) .
One day at a time - good you have support & as you will not be going to court for months it’s now trying “ to carry on” , I had to wait from May until October to see if blood tests were positive which was awful as I kept stupidly thinking I had “ got away with it” don’t do that to yourself
Couple of points
A) Check your job description as you may need to inform employer immediately due to post even if leaving.
Better to be honest as mine were fantastic including when I hit the press & it named my job post court
B) there are things to be aware off & this site covers posts including house insurance, travel, prep for court
But they are in the future so don’t worry now
I don’t know how long the backlog in Scottish courts are perhaps someone on here knows I’m sure that would help

I am sure your head is all over the place so find a way of dealing with that to allow you to function such as a journal, physical exercise etc
At the end of the day - one error that’s all

Reactions: RSC
It’s still early days & you are just processing all it means & sadly the implications with a criminal record
But we have all been through it all with our own experience & we try to support people - whatever you think it’s a new chapter of life & one you know who your friends are & you will develop resilience ( plus a good knowledge of local public transport) .
One day at a time - good you have support & as you will not be going to court for months it’s now trying “ to carry on” , I had to wait from May until October to see if blood tests were positive which was awful as I kept stupidly thinking I had “ got away with it” don’t do that to yourself
Couple of points
A) Check your job description as you may need to inform employer immediately due to post even if leaving.
Better to be honest as mine were fantastic including when I hit the press & it named my job post court
B) there are things to be aware off & this site covers posts including house insurance, travel, prep for court
But they are in the future so don’t worry now
I don’t know how long the backlog in Scottish courts are perhaps someone on here knows I’m sure that would help

I am sure your head is all over the place so find a way of dealing with that to allow you to function such as a journal, physical exercise etc
At the end of the day - one error that’s all
Thank you for your reply, I wasn’t offered the option of blood which my lawyer says he will enquire about, but he says he will deal with that when it occurs. I will check my job description thank you, they are a good company so I hope they understand although it’s not them I’m overly phased about it’s my sssc. I have checked up on things like that the only travel it affects is myself flying to America the only other place I travel is Spain to my dad and he has checked and ensured me I am okay to go there but if I was to drive my insurance would be extremely high which I don’t need anyways as my dad is my driver. It was the police officer who said the back log in cases is around 40,000 and that’s just an estimate but it’s there or higher just now and there are cases still pending from last year that haven’t reached court yet also. I know I won’t get away with it and I am fully understanding, my mistake comes with massive consequences. Think the hardest parts I’m trying to come to terms with is it was my own sibling who called them on me and the wait of it all. The months without my licence I will adapt like you say to public transport as I will need to travel to work on it, I might actually appreciate the scenery as when your driver we don’t get to see it (thinking positive)

There is no option of blood in your circumstances. You blew 42, which under the old system in England would have made you eligible for an alternative blood sample.... BUT you are in Scotland and the legal limit is 22!

I had bloods as breath machine was faulty.
Travel - Canada is a no go, on the forum USA some people posted it seems to take longer to get visa
Don’t know re China etc
Spain & Europe is fine - we can’t hire cars in uk so I guess Spain the same.

I’m England so long as paperwork gets to court within 6 months that’s within limits, but you then don’t have to go to court within 6 months !!

Re prof register- do take advice before you contact them, read everything I had a free chat with a specialist lawyer
But act fast as that is in your favour its The bit putting profession as disrepute etc is what they will explore etc
Do address this as time is important
Otherwise get ready for the long haul,& try to live a life

I had bloods as breath machine was faulty.
Travel - Canada is a no go, on the forum USA some people posted it seems to take longer to get visa
Don’t know re China etc
Spain & Europe is fine - we can’t hire cars in uk so I guess Spain the same.

I’m England so long as paperwork gets to court within 6 months that’s within limits, but you then don’t have to go to court within 6 months !!

Re prof register- do take advice before you contact them, read everything I had a free chat with a specialist lawyer
But act fast as that is in your favour its The bit putting profession as disrepute etc is what they will explore etc
Do address this as time is important
Otherwise get ready for the long haul,& try to live a life
Thank you for your reply, so are we not allowed to hire cars even after our ban is up? I’m not looking to hire one I’m just worried for instance if I needed a courtesy car through insurance or garage work in the future? I don’t understand the end part of your message Sorry? Advice before I contact my work or? My lawyer said I don’t need to contact them as I haven’t been convicted but I’m an honest person and feel I should be telling them especially as they will notice I’m travelling by bus and not car to work. I checked my SSSC and pvg and it states they send me to a health professional to ensure I am fit to work with children. I may call them tomorrow and get that done before I’m convicted do you think I should?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off