Temporary licence

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hardlessontolearn

Established Member
Morning all,
Under what circumstances is a temporary licence granted? Am I right in thinking it’s if you have misuse or dependence on your records somewhere along the line (could be years and years ago), but your medical and blood test results were ok?
Thanks in advance.

Morning all,
Under what circumstances is a temporary licence granted? Am I right in thinking it’s if you have misuse or dependence on your records somewhere along the line (could be years and years ago), but your medical and blood test results were ok?
Thanks in advance.
Yes, temporary license or medical review licence will be granted once Dvla have finished their medical enquiries, and therefore each year after …

Morning all,
Thanks in advance.

Suzy

I am currently on my second 12 month temporary driving licence. If you are unlucky enough to fall into the alcohol misuser or dependant category, you can sail through your medical, get support from your GP and still get a temporary licence.

The DVLA look into the last 7 years of your medical background. As I have documented issues with alcohol on my medical notes up to 2019, I am likely to go through the DVLA medical process every year until 2026.

Sadly, that means I am potentially faced with doing at least three further annual medicals and just making do with a 12 month driving licence each time, before I finally get my hands on a full substantive ‘longer’ driving licence.

I hope that answers your question.

CJ

Yes, temporary license or medical review licence will be granted once Dvla have finished their medical enquiries, and therefore each year after …
Thank you. I’ve just rung the dvla AGAIN and apparently, my case is still with the medical review team. I asked if they’ve contacted my gp or if they intend to and she told me there’s nothing to indicate that. That in itself seems odd as I was under the impression they correspond with all HROs gps but we shall see.
Will they definitely inform me if they do write to my doctor?

Suzy

I am currently on my second 12 month temporary driving licence. If you are unlucky enough to fall into the alcohol misuser or dependant category, you can sail through your medical, get support from your GP and still get a temporary licence.

The DVLA look into the last 7 years of your medical background. As I have documented issues with alcohol on my medical notes up to 2019, I am likely to go through the DVLA medical process every year until 2026.

Sadly, that means I am potentially faced with doing at least three further annual medicals and just making do with a 12 month driving licence each time, before I finally get my hands on a full substantive ‘longer’ driving licence.

CJ
Hi CJ,

Thank you so much. This whole thing is a bit of a nightmare, albeit totally my own fault and I accept the fact that I have to suffer the consequences of my stupid action 2.5 years ago.
If only we could turn back time, hey! But we can’t, so I’m trying to stay positive and be grateful for the things I do have in my life (not a car yet though!!)
I don’t have much mentioned about alcohol on my records but I did have to take diazepam for a very short period once in 2011 for alcohol withdrawal.
I went to see my gp before I sent my renewal form off and he went through my records with me. That was the only mention of ‘possible dependency issues’ and nothing since then.
Anyway, I’ll be over the moon even if I just get a one year licence. Not just for me, but for my poor parents who have had to ferry me around for the past couple of years as I live in the middle of nowhere.
Thanks again.

Thank you. I’ve just rung the dvla AGAIN and apparently, my case is still with the medical review team. I asked if they’ve contacted my gp or if they intend to and she told me there’s nothing to indicate that. That in itself seems odd as I was under the impression they correspond with all HROs gps but we shall see.
Will they definitely inform me if they do write to my
Will they definitely inform me if they do write to my doctor?
Yes whatever course of action Dvla will take they will keep you informed

Hi Suzy

I was granted a 1-yr temporary after passing second medical. My first I failed due to complications I’d rather not elaborate on too much (feel free to PM though, but wasn’t alcohol related). There was also misuse on my file, however by the time the second came about it was firmly embedded in my notes that I had stopped drinking alcohol.

So when I did my third medical (almost a whole year after 1-yr temp expired, the same driving about happily under Section 88), I passed again, but this time was granted the full 10-year license. 😃

In my case, I can only assume it was because of either misuse being a factor (but subsequently mitigated due to my GP’s stipulation that I had indeed quit), or perhaps even due to that failed first medical. It could even be due to (quite accidental) inconsistencies - it is quite easy to forget what you state on the DR1 form when reapplying, and then fail to recollect it verbatim when filling in the similar (but not identical) forms when arriving for said medical.

Who knows. The most important thing for me, of course, was that the temporary was only temporary! :)

HTH.

So when I did my third medical (almost a whole year after 1-yr temp expired, the same driving about happily under Section 88), I passed again, but this time was granted the full 10-year license. 😃

Sundog

When you recieved your full 10 year licence - had there been 7 years of clean living recorded on your medical file at the time it was issued?

CJ

Hi Suzy

I was granted a 1-yr temporary after passing second medical. My first I failed due to complications I’d rather not elaborate on too much (feel free to PM though, but wasn’t alcohol related). There was also misuse on my file, however by the time the second came about it was firmly embedded in my notes that I had stopped drinking alcohol.

In my case, I can only assume it was because of either misuse being a factor (but subsequently mitigated due to my GP’s stipulation that I had indeed quit), or perhaps even due to that failed first medical. It could even be due to (quite accidental) inconsistencies - it is quite easy to forget what you state on the DR1 form when reapplying, and then fail to recollect it verbatim when filling in the similar (but not identical) forms when arriving for said medical.

Who knows. The most important thing for me, of course, was that the temporary was only temporary! :)

HTH.
Thanks for your message, Sundog.

Congratulations on getting a full 10 year licence! That feeling must be incredible!

I’m not going to be intrusive and ask any more about why you failed your first medical. That’s your business and nobody else’s.

I don’t actually know how to send you a pm but it would be good to do that, as I have some personal circumstances that I don’t particularly want to talk about on this public forum!

Anyway, it’s been 10 days since they said they have everything from the dr who carried out my medical, so I guess I have to just wait now and hope I have an answer soon!

Suzy

Congratulations on getting a full 10 year licence! That feeling must be incredible!

I’m not going to be intrusive and ask any more about why you failed your first medical. That’s your business and nobody else’s.

I don’t actually know how to send you a pm but it would be good to do that, as I have some personal circumstances that I don’t particularly want to talk about on this public forum!

Anyway, it’s been 10 days since they said they have everything from the dr who carried out my medical, so I guess I have to just wait now and hope I have an answer soon!

Suzy
Hi Suzy just to reiterate usually after your medical your driving licence can take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to arrive, you can check online Dvla licence check as this update’s first, and you will need your drivers licence number national insurance number and your postcode, …..

Hi Suzy just to reiterate usually after your medical your driving licence can take 10 days to 2 weeks for it to arrive, you can check online Dvla licence check as this update’s first, and you will need your drivers licence number national insurance number and your postcode, …..
Thanks Honestman. My medical was on 15.2.23, they had my blood test results a couple of days later but they hadn’t scanned the paperwork onto their system until 1.3.23.
I rang yesterday and apparently they have everything they need. She said there was no mention of them contacting my gp on the system.
Now I’m worried I’m going to be refused, but wouldn’t they have told me that by now if that was the case?

Suzy
Hi Suzy, yeah to say it was a relief is the mother of all understatements!

I hope the wait doesn’t take too long for you. I can try and send a PM and see if you can figure it out from there. :)

Thanks Honestman. My medical was on 15.2.23, they had my blood test results a couple of days later but they hadn’t scanned the paperwork onto their system until 1.3.23.
I rang yesterday and apparently they have everything they need. She said there was no mention of them contacting my gp on the system.
Now I’m worried I’m going to be refused, but wouldn’t they have told me that by now if that was the case?
Usually with a refusal it can take time as Dvla will want all information gathered including input from your Gp weather to grant a license or not and with all information this justifies their decision, with the call handlers I wouldn’t trust them too much as they can only tell you where your case is by, not what’s coming next, so they probably know as much as you until the medical team have made a decision….the longer it goes on the likelihood of them investigating further is possible….

I know for a fact that the Dvla medical staff were on strike the week 20/25 February and maybe this has added to everyone’s delay, however I had my medical on the 2/2/23 and my license was issued out on the 28/2/23 …

Suzy

CJ
Did you get a one year licence the first time you applied after your ban or did you have to prove abstinence for 6 months/a year?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off