Temporary licemse

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ryande41

Hi there I'm just looking for some advice
I've recently been issued my license back BUT it has only been issued for 1 year and my question is long does this happen for? Is it just for one year as a precaution or does this continue for 6 years?

I read somewhere before that this had happened to someone else

I posted here before previous to getting my license back,

So any advice on this subject would be appreciated

I had also read (on forums) that this was 3 years. I then read this was 6 years.
In December 2020 I spoke to a staff member from the DVLA medical line about how long this was likely to last and was informed there was no definitive answer or set period.
I too have a one year licence which is currently up for renewal at this very time.

I had also read (on forums) that this was 3 years. I then read this was 6 years.
In December 2020 I spoke to a staff member from the DVLA medical line about how long this was likely to last and was informed there was no definitive answer or set period.
I too have a one year licence which is currently up for renewal at this very time.
I hope its shorter than necessarily ive just just got mine back there In April but now I'm reading this I'm worried to be honest, I hope everything goes well with you getting your next one back, as long as there's no alcohol in my case then I should be fine, maybe same as yours aswell

I did not mean to concern you or anyone. From what I remember from the conversation the guy from DVLA did not mean this as a hard or negative thing but as a positive in terms of they may well decide to issue it for longer. I just wanted a bit of clarity on the 3 or 6 year thing. It all depends on what your GP and ultimately their doctor decides.
Last year they wrote to my GP with a form asking about fitness etc then I had to have passed a medical before they again wrote to my GP about my fitness to drive (I've already been told by him I am and currently driving under section 88).
A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from DVLA saying they have written to my GP before assessing / making a decision about it.
So I'm hoping / it appears as though they may have decided I do not require a medical and went straight to the GP this time.I hope so. Either that or I will have to go through the whole wait for a medical etc etc
Last time the DVLA doctor forgot to record on my notes that he had spoke to my GP regarding the whole "abstinence for 6 months" and as a direct result I had to reapply again which took another six whole months - 361 days in total, two DVLA medicals, four "fit to drive" from own GP and four DVLA drug tests just because DVLA doctor "forgot". Nightmare.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. As I said I did not wish to worry you. I too hope I don't have to go through this every goddam year. 🙏😭

I did not mean to concern you or anyone. From what I remember from the conversation the guy from DVLA did not mean this as a hard or negative thing but as a positive in terms of they may well decide to issue it for longer. I just wanted a bit of clarity on the 3 or 6 year thing. It all depends on what your GP and ultimately their doctor decides.
Last year they wrote to my GP with a form asking about fitness etc then I had to have passed a medical before they again wrote to my GP about my fitness to drive (I've already been told by him I am and currently driving under section 88).
A couple of weeks ago I received a letter from DVLA saying they have written to my GP before assessing / making a decision about it.
So I'm hoping / it appears as though they may have decided I do not require a medical and went straight to the GP this time.I hope so. Either that or I will have to go through the whole wait for a medical etc etc
Last time the DVLA doctor forgot to record on my notes that he had spoke to my GP regarding the whole "abstinence for 6 months" and as a direct result I had to reapply again which took another six whole months - 361 days in total, two DVLA medicals, four "fit to drive" from own GP and four DVLA drug tests just because DVLA doctor "forgot". Nightmare.
Anyway, sorry for the rant. As I said I did not wish to worry you. I too hope I don't have to go through this every goddam year. 🙏😭
Its fine i was hoping this would be a once off myself
I hope they don't write to me doctor in the future as we don't really see eye to eye so to speak so me being a bit paranoid and thinking what if they gave me a bad report etc
As regards to the drink that's not a issue but say something else was brought up just to be swines

Yeah, I hope so. I found DVLA to be an absolute nightmare overall to deal with.

Last edited:
Yeah there not easiest people in the world to deal with a hope everything goes well for you,
Thanks. And to you too.
If you are concerned about what your GP has written in your notes you can always request to access your files. The same applies regarding to DVLA.
I'm lucky I think I have a great GP although he has to do / say what he has to do.
Good luck🙏
Yeah there not easiest people in the world to deal with a hope everything goes well for you,

Thanks. And to you too.
If you are concerned about what your GP has written in your notes you can always request to access your files. The same applies regarding to DVLA.
I'm lucky I think I have a great GP although he has to do / say what he has to do.
Good luck🙏
Thank you very and same too you too, I wish all the best of luck,

Its fine i was hoping this would be a once off myself
I hope they don't write to me doctor in the future as we don't really see eye to eye so to speak so me being a bit paranoid and thinking what if they gave me a bad report etc
As regards to the drink that's not a issue but say something else was brought up just to be swines
Change doctor ?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off