Stop checked & breathalyser clocked 96ml

Convicted Driver Insurance

Victor89

Good morning,

On Friday evening I was stopped and blew 96ml. I was alone, fully insured, no accident etc. I do have court on 21st December, but I just wanted a little advice on if I need representation or if I can do this alone? I do have a child who lives 30 min drive from myself I have regularly and a job which requires me to drive. any advice on this would be massively helpful. my first time dealing with anything like this and it's horrific!

I literally just use my car for work and childcare.

thank you

If you are in England or Wales, you are looking at a 24-month ban (reduced to 18 months with the DD course if offered, accepted and completed) and possibly/probably (is in the guidelines for such a reading) a period or community service.

Due to the high reading, you will be classed as a High Risk Offender and have to take a medical to satisfy the DVLA you should ever be allowed to drive again towards the end of your ban.

My own suggestion would be to save the money you would spend on a solicitor to put towards future public transport and taxi fares.

thanks for the advice James. much appreciated. is there any leeway given for working/child responsibilities? also what does a period mean? apologies for the questions, mortifying experience....

thanks for the advice James. much appreciated. is there any leeway given for working/child responsibilities? also what does a period mean? apologies for the questions, mortifying experience....
I think he means a period of community service :)

It probably won't make a difference. You could mention how it is going to affect your life regarding this in your statement but I wouldn't ask them to lessen your ban for it.

I lost my job due to losing my licence so I would be making plans and thinking whether this might be the case so you can look ahead. X

I know it's horrible, I've been going through a really rough time following it as well - like many people did on here - so understand but the members on here all have been through the same or similar thing so are really helpful in getting you through things without judgement.

People on here are always happy to talk about things x

Good morning,

On Friday evening I was stopped and blew 96ml. I was alone, fully insured, no accident etc. I do have court on 21st December, but I just wanted a little advice on if I need representation or if I can do this alone? I do have a child who lives 30 min drive from myself I have regularly and a job which requires me to drive. any advice on this would be massively helpful. my first time dealing with anything like this and it's horrific!

thank you
Hi, I blew the same as you but i had an accident when i was arrested. You can go to court alone if you feel confident enough or maybe use the duty solicitor on the day. Take some reference letters, dress smart and be polite. I'm afraid there isn't much leeway as the courts have fixed guidelines on what punishments will be given. I paid for a local solicitor (£400 if i remember correctly) and received a 24 month ban and 60 hours community service. It was reduced to 18 month ban with the drink drive course that was offered.

Sorry, yes, meant a "...period of..."

No leeway given.

Why were you stopped, by the way? I ask because if it was because your driving gave police reason to suspect you'd been drink driving, it may extend the ban.

thanks for all the info guys. very nervy and lonely period.....there was random traffic stops as USA v England football was on and to be honest - I'm quite happy I did get stopped! it was a long way home and was pulled at the beginning of my journey, could have been much much worse. recently I have abruptly come off anti depressants and therapy for mental health, so gathering medical records along with references from employer. I know it won't do much, but Its important for me to show (like most of us) that this was a bad decision made on a low state of mental judgment, which isn't something I find acceptable. but may offer reason to some extent of my bad decision making.

They Dont give leeway for anything not kids not mental health anti depressants or your employment. I mentioned the above and was told I should have thought of all I would loose before getting in my car after having a drink. (They were correct). The higher the reading is the harder they go on you I’m afraid it sucks. I hope you have a supportive family and friends they will get you through

Weird how with some crimes mental health problems helps your case, and in others it just goes against you and makes things harder.

thanks for all the info guys. very nervy and lonely period.....there was random traffic stops as USA v England football was on and to be honest - I'm quite happy I did get stopped! it was a long way home and was pulled at the beginning of my journey, could have been much much worse. recently I have abruptly come off anti depressants and therapy for mental health, so gathering medical records along with references from employer. I know it won't do much, but Its important for me to show (like most of us) that this was a bad decision made on a low state of mental judgment, which isn't something I find acceptable. but may offer reason to some extent of my bad decision making.

Would just be careful what you say in court (although you've probably already said all of this to the police).

Being at the start of a long journey could lengthen your sentence.

Coming off antidepressants - if without medical advice - could also lengthen your sentence.

Not wishing to make things worse, but have a real think about what you wish to offer up in court.

Good morning,

thank you
I blew 97 in Dec 21. I have 3 children, a job and doing a degree at the time too, I tried to plee with them as I was also caring for my mum. But they basically said tough! 2 years reduced to 18 months by doing the drink drive course and I had to do 18 months of probation instead of community service. I got a 50 pound fine and court costs of 200.

I'd also add another 4 months to ban as going through the HRO is long winded and very time consuming!

thanks for the input missbee. good to hear other stories who've had similar experiences. does a community order stop you going abroad? I have family I'm booked to see who dont live in uk this Christmas. oh god....

thanks for the input missbee. good to hear other stories who've had similar experiences. does a community order stop you going abroad? I have family I'm booked to see who dont live in uk this Christmas. oh god....
It can do. Best check the entry requirements

You probably won't have anything this year, given when your court date is. Hopefully you aren't intending to go to a country that doesn't allow convincted drink drivers to enter.

Hi Victor

Sorry to hear of your news. Have to say that - from how it reads - you sound remarkably pragmatic about it all, so fair play. It’s a shit situation; and although this sounds like bollocks, it’s not. This WILL pass.

I think personally that you may be unlucky to get a CO, if you play this well. I blew 102, crashed, and still walked away with 24mos (less 25% with course) and a whopping four figure fine; but no community order. Reason - I too was estranged, going through living personal hell etc…. and the judge listened. He actually said CS would be too much punishment and would punish my children also, and not just me, and that was not fair.

So be optimistic. They are reasonable… within their code of course, but my aggravating factors were worse than yours yet no hard-shoulder litter picking or charity shop tea-making for me.

Naturally you’re HRO, so be sure to be aware of what that entails. May be worth laying the groundwork for that with your GP now, save worrying for when the medical comes along.

Good luck. You’ll come to like this place a lot. :)

thanks for the info sundog. I do have a few not so pleasant things going on on my life and also child responsibilities on weekends, but thought maybe it'd be best to keep quiet as it'd look like i'm trying to snake out of punishment if i raise them?

I don't even know what to expect from the courts, so alien to me.... is there any advice on things to be aware of hat caught anyone off guard? i have decided against a solicitor, as i will be pleading guilty and genuinely hold so much regret!

I also have to go see family this Christmas outside of uk and a 3 week holiday booked in jan. do you think they consider such commitments?

sorry again guys, Its a fearsome time, so many questions and outcomes playing out in my head! even nightmares of having car crashes....the biggest mistake ive made drinking and getting in a car!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off