Son wants to drive again, 10 years after DD conviction

Convicted Driver Insurance

Depressed Dad

Established Member
My son's tussle with Admiral is well documented in the Insurance section.
He was banned for 18 months over ten years ago.
He hasn't driven since but now wants to be able to drive again.

How does he get his licence back?
Does the length of time make a difference?
Does he need to retake his test? - He plans to take an intensive driving course to refresh his 'skills'
The DR10 endorsement lasts 11 years as I understand it. Is he better off waiting a few months?
I assume he still needs a medical?
I read elsewhere that the process of getting the licence back is taking months - mainly getting the the results of the medical.

My son's tussle with Admiral is well documented in the Insurance section.
He was banned for 18 months over ten years ago.
He hasn't driven since but now wants to be able to drive again.

How does he get his licence back?
Does the length of time make a difference?
Does he need to retake his test? - He plans to take an intensive driving course to refresh his 'skills'
The DR10 endorsement lasts 11 years as I understand it. Is he better off waiting a few months?
I assume he still needs a medical?
I read elsewhere that the process of getting the licence back is taking months - mainly getting the the results of the medical.
Hi Depressed Dad

Go to a main post office and get a D1 form. Send that off with the required fee, as it has been so long a new passport style photo will be needed also. It doesn't make any difference the amount of time he has waited, still the same procedure. He will only have to retake a test if this was imposed by the magistrates at the time of disqualification, however this is generally only required for those who were also charged with dangerous driving type offences at the same time as the drink drive or age related issues such as new drivers or those over 70.

Yes the DR10 will be on the licence for 11 years, however it is not disclosable for insurance purposes as after 5 years it is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA). It won't make a difference it still being there as will only be visible for the full 11 years on his licence view online. This cannot be seen by anyone else unless he gives them access to his online view, even getting a check code to hire a car etc. will not show up, so I wouldn't bother waiting for the full 11 years.

He will need a medical if he was classed as an HRO, otherwise this will not be needed. Look at the HRO threads that will explain this fully. The licence is taking a while to return in most instances at the moment, whether a medical is needed or not. Get him to check out the Section 88 requirements however, he MAY be able to drive under this if he fulfils all the criteria once his application has been received.

I have no idea if this is still the case….but I didn’t drive for five years after my ban ended, I also tried to do what ur son wants to do i.e a few lessons to get back into the swing of things.
I was told that driving schools wont/ don’t have insurance for drivers who have “passed” there test…..I also remember not being able to drive home after my driving test for a similar reason….In the end I got my partner to drive somewhere quiet and just jumped in and was like a duck to water.
(That may have changed now but it’s worth checking)
We are all ten years older and wiser. All the best to him
As far as the dvla record…..that is 100% 11 years from date of conviction……it won’t show up any longer for insurance purposes but unless you ask for it to be removed after 11 years it will still show up when you search the dvla website yourself

Hmmm he thinks he might have been told to retake his test. He hadn't been driving long and was a HRO because of alcohol level.

Now need to hunt around the house for his paperwork.

I hadn’t driven for about 13yrs, mine was a weird one thou as I got my licence back and had done so for couple of years then out of nowhere they changed the laws and I was told I had to go for a medical to decide if I was fit to drive (guessing this was the hro new laws) , anyway I never bothered as didn’t need nor could afford to drive , now forward 13 yrs and I do need, I’m 53 got elderly parent who needs me and can’t do this without driving, I phoned DVLA as also in this time I had remarried,moved, so quite a few changes, now I’m told by DVLA that I’m NOT HRO and it’s not documented anywhere, I didn’t have to pay for my medical either and I just had it Friday, they’d already contacted my gp weeks back , I first started this process back in February, everything is taking a very long time right now

What part of the U.K. are you from depressed dad??
I’m more of less certain that in England retaking your test is not a sentence for drunk driving.
I’m aware for 6 points in your first two years of driving it is a retake of test…..but I was led to believe that with drink driving your license is suspended for the duration of your ban, You haven’t actually lost it.
In my case i drank drove within the two year probationary period of passing my test as a 18 year old so if anyone would of had to of done a retest it I rekon it woulda been me.

We are in London.

Can't find the paperwork. Had bit of a clear out a few months ago and chucked out all the
My son (and his Mum) are sure he needed to retake his test.

I guess he needs to apply and find out.

Haven't even got a copy of his licence to check online.

News Update:

He passed his medical a couple of weeks ago and yesterday the DVLA have sent him a clean full licence.
He still won't be driving again until he buys a place outside London. At least a year I guess.

Fingers crossed his driving will be better than it was in 2010.

News Update:

He passed his medical a couple of weeks ago and yesterday the DVLA have sent him a clean full licence.
He still won't be driving again until he buys a place outside London. At least a year I guess.

Fingers crossed his driving will be better than it was in 2010.

A positive outcome and one that emphasises how much the passage of time does improve more and more for anyone unlucky to fall foul of a breathalyser who learns from their mistakes.

CJ

Hi Depressed Dad

Go to a main post office and get a D1 form. Send that off with the required fee, as it has been so long a new passport style photo will be needed also. It doesn't make any difference the amount of time he has waited, still the same procedure. He will only have to retake a test if this was imposed by the magistrates at the time of disqualification, however this is generally only required for those who were also charged with dangerous driving type offences at the same time as the drink drive or age related issues such as new drivers or those over 70.

Yes the DR10 will be on the licence for 11 years, however it is not disclosable for insurance purposes as after 5 years it is spent under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act (ROA). It won't make a difference it still being there as will only be visible for the full 11 years on his licence view online. This cannot be seen by anyone else unless he gives them access to his online view, even getting a check code to hire a car etc. will not show up, so I wouldn't bother waiting for the full 11 years.

He will need a medical if he was classed as an HRO, otherwise this will not be needed. Look at the HRO threads that will explain this fully. The licence is taking a while to return in most instances at the moment, whether a medical is needed or not. Get him to check out the Section 88 requirements however, he MAY be able to drive under this if he fulfils all the criteria once his application has been received.Hi,
Hi,

Well said BigTom!

I hope everyone is doing well.

Kind regards,

Stu

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off