Should the DVLA have asked for my licence to be sent back?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi there,
I was convicted on 1st March 2010 and given 24mth ban, appealed and had the ban suspended pending the appeal. DVLA wrote to me a few days later and asked me to send my licence off, which I did, and they returned it a few days later with nothing on it? I continued to drive until my appeal date on 24th June 2010. I lost the appeal and therefore the ban came into place from that date. I have 2 questions:

1) Does the 24 mth ban go from the date of conviction on 1st March or the date the ban actually came into effect on 24th June

2) The court did not ask for my licence, nor has the DVLA written to me to ask for it. Therefore I still have my licence in my posession - is this normal?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Hi there,
I was convicted on 1st March 2010 and given 24mth ban, appealed and had the ban suspended pending the appeal. DVLA wrote to me a few days later and asked me to send my licence off, which I did, and they returned it a few days later with nothing on it? I continued to drive until my appeal date on 24th June 2010. I lost the appeal and therefore the ban came into place from that date. I have 2 questions:

1) Does the 24 mth ban go from the date of conviction on 1st March or the date the ban actually came into effect on 24th June

The driving ban will run from the date it came into effect.

2) The court did not ask for my licence, nor has the DVLA written to me to ask for it. Therefore I still have my licence in my posession - is this normal?

No this is not normal, you are usually required to surrender your driving licence to the DVLA upon disqualification. However, driving licence in your possession or not, it does not change the fact you are a disqualified driver.

Thanks for the response. I fully understand I have been disqualified and would not dream of driving, I just can't understand why I have not been asked for my licence back. There were so many cock ups with the info around my case being passed from court to court, where I should attend probation, who I should pay court costs to etc... that I wouldn't be surprised if the DVLA haven't even been informed! Sods law will be if I apply for my 'licence back' after the ban and they never even new about it! Thank you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off