Should I tell my employer?

Convicted Driver Insurance

reality

Hi all,

I was convicted of driving with excess alcohol about 4 weeks ago. Got an 18 month ban for it.

I work as part of a team of maintenance managers for a School and the company I work for conduct regular CRB checks. I don't drive as part of my job, don't have a company car and otherwise can continue getting to work without a car so will I risk loosing my job? Is it possible they carry out these checks just for reasons of being around children? I've got an otherwise clean record and the offence isn't violent, sexual, dishonest etc..

I'm bricking it for obvious reasons and to continue with my current employment would be preferable to searching for a new job whilst having to declare this on any application forms.. Its hard enough finding a job as it is!

I want to be honest to the guy who employed me but if it means getting the sack straight away I may aswell leave it till the next round of CRB checks which could be any time within the next 12 months.

Anyone have any similar experiences or advice? I'd greatly appreciate it!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I was convicted of driving with excess alcohol about 4 weeks ago. Got an 18 month ban for it.

I work as part of a team of maintenance managers for a School and the company I work for conduct regular CRB checks. I don't drive as part of my job, don't have a company car and otherwise can continue getting to work without a car so will I risk loosing my job? Is it possible they carry out these checks just for reasons of being around children? I've got an otherwise clean record and the offence isn't violent, sexual, dishonest etc..

I'm bricking it for obvious reasons and to continue with my current employment would be preferable to searching for a new job whilst having to declare this on any application forms.. Its hard enough finding a job as it is!

I want to be honest to the guy who employed me but if it means getting the sack straight away I may aswell leave it till the next round of CRB checks which could be any time within the next 12 months.

Honesty is the best policy. How this conviction will affect your current employment will depend on your employer and any employment contracts in place between you and your employer. As you state, your job does not involve driving, you dont have a company car and being disqualified from driving will not affect your ability to travel to work. Many teachers continue to teach after being convicted of driving with excess alcohol.

Let us know how you get on, it may help people in a similar position in the future.

Hi Reality,

I agree with the moderator that telling the truth is the best way.

Have you got a company policy/employee guidelines? I referred to these and found it did say I had to tell them (although I used the fact that it said "Not for motoring offenses" as the reason for my delay in telling them). This should really be your guide as to whether or not you need to tell them.

By coming clean, you are being mature & honest - good things for an employee to be. By not saying & waiting for the CRB you are almost definitely lining yourself up for the firing line as showing yourself as hiding things from them.

Teachers have been allowed to stay working with a DD conviction, so why not a maintenance manager? They key to this is showing you made a mistake, you're sorry & are owning up for your actions.

Just my opinion - I was fired (well, paid off) from my job as I did have to drive as part of mine. I think my pay-out etc was handled better due to my honesty though. Have to admit I'm now in a better job.

Good luck :)

Hi all,

I am in exactly same position , did u disclose? what was the outcome?

I told my employer immediately which went in my favour as being honest. If a slow news day when you are in court it could end up with your name in the paper. My solicitor did not name my job etc but it got picked up by the local paper who I had done a press release several years ago for so the published my job, employer a photo & 1/2 page of court proceedings - it was awful but as employer knew they were ok

I told my employer immediately which went in my favour as being honest. If a slow news day when you are in court it could end up with your name in the paper. My solicitor did not name my job etc but it got picked up by the local paper who I had done a press release several years ago for so the published my job, employer a photo & 1/2 page of court proceedings - it was awful but as employer knew they were ok
Tks so u told the employer before going to court then ?

Yes & kept them posted as I had to wait over 5 months for a date. Then told them the outcome etc. Then week later hit local press
Tks mine isn’t far away just 1 week to go I am not a local and my company is far away from my place so I intend to tell them the very next day . I guess it should be ok ? Any tips on how to approach the employer in explaninig circumstances and the likely questions they are bound to ask ?

In my contract I have to tell them & doing so ASAP got looked upon well.
You could craft an email stating facts
Stating how ashamed & remorse etc or send copy of the letter you will write to give to the bench
Speak to your line manager or email first & ask if they want you to inform HR
Are you not getting a character statement from work - I had them & they were noted by solicitor as glowing
We think it helped me get lower end of banding
Be honest

In my contract I have to tell them & doing so ASAP got looked upon well.
You could craft an email stating facts
Stating how ashamed & remorse etc or send copy of the letter you will write to give to the bench
Speak to your line manager or email first & ask if they want you to inform HR
Are you not getting a character statement from work - I had them & they were noted by solicitor as glowing
We think it helped me get lower end of banding
Be honest
Sorry in mine as well but after I get the conviction
Will contact my line manager as suggested
Will draft an email and send it through
I am getting a character Referenence from the company employees not the company though - could I request this ?

Employees could just be your friends. A reference will carry Much More weight coming from the company.

It needs to talk about your conduct, sobriety and being a valued employee. The magistrates need to be shown that this offence is out of character, not that they should offer you a job!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off