Should I be classed as high risk offender

Convicted Driver Insurance
Not yet been 9 months now phoned my doctors and they are sending my 6 months of medical evidence i.e. lLFTs next week so I'm hoping for an answer soon

Not yet been 9 months now phoned my doctors and they are sending my 6 months of medical evidence i.e. lLFTs next week so I'm hoping for an answer soon
Good luck hope u get sorted soon. I’ve had a licence since 4 months after they revoked it as I got my doc to send a liver scan and tests, but have been on a one year at a time licensee since, cdt was 0.8 at my medical

Did they issue you a temporary licence to begin with(1year) trying to work out what they got in store for me and if so do you attend a medical on each renewal, not sure whether to chase up the hgv hard enough trying to get the D1 back?

If your chasing up HGV it's back to your original question should it be 2 instances?
If yes the traffic commission frown on more than 1 instance it's not impossible to regain your HGV but you will most certainly need your GP's approval plus possibly blood results in line with your abstinence time scale which is 3 yrs HGV but am still unsure if your HRO through dependency or not my post relates to dependency

But back to your HGV you will most certainly have to go in front of traffic commissioner if you are 2 DUI

Was revoked for alcohol misuse no drink drive involved have been told 12 months of controlled drinking for hgv but I've chosen to abstain not sure how this sits with the Traffic commissioner, never been revoked before,first time

Was revoked for alcohol misuse no drink drive involved have been told 12 months of controlled drinking for hgv but I've chosen to abstain not sure how this sits with the Traffic commissioner, never been revoked before,first time
Yes Misuse definitely sits better than dependancy regarding DVLA!
ordinary licence they prefer your abstinence to be backed up with GP report don't make mistake saying you only had a sherry on X occasion the dvla are very strict now with abstinence where they formerly allowed occasions with Alcohol.

You will not hear anything from commissioner until your ordinary licence is due my letter went something like this.

Your Ordinary licence is due to be granted, your HGV will further be revoked a further 3 months so to assure a timeframe of stability, because this is your first offence you will not be required to face the commissioners board

How much alcohol did you consume for misuse to be applied?

How much alcohol did you consume for misuse to be applied?
I was drinking 60-70 units per week had a red wine habit at meal times ! Funny enough I never thought this was excess at the time 5 btls a week.(was classed mildly dependant I wasn't impressed tbh I never had any symptoms relating to dependandcy that's listed on dvla website.
Was told by the dvla via letter HGV drivers are expected to be less than the government guidelines as professional drivers , so beware for future reference

Yes they stamped me alcohol dependent first but I challenged this with the help of my gp and got it over turned to misuse that's why my case is taking a bit longer as we all know what the delay times are like

I was drinking 60-70 units per week had a red wine habit at meal times ! Funny enough I never thought this was excess at the time 5 btls a week.(was classed mildly dependant I wasn't impressed tbh I never had any symptoms relating to dependandcy that's listed on dvla website.
Was told by the dvla via letter HGV drivers are expected to be less than the government guidelines as professional drivers , so beware for future reference

Thanks for your prompt and interesting reply.
I therefore conclude from this thread that being a zero risk non offender is equally as serious as being a high risk offender who
drinks and drives with a high level of alcohol in the blood.
How on earth not drinking and driving is considered equally as serious as actually drinking and driving is beyond me.
The law is complete and utter madness.

Nah m8t disagree Zero risk non offender only once I thought it through
and I fought hard same as you from category of dependence at least you landed with misuse,

The dvla are pretty strict but it was pointed out to me in another letter they have the safest record at least with HGV in Europe,
I suddenly understood what they stated in another letter! Yes we had a ding ding!
HGV drivers are regarded as Professional drivers there rest time is regarded to be rest(this was my free drinking time not there time)
But the more I thought about my Carriage and responsibilities it dawned on me ??I was wrong that simple BTL of wine was much more it was habitual enjoyment and possible mest with my sleep patterns, I never felt dependency but realised an Alcoholic very rarely accepts alcoholism , in the end I set goals and my goal was to prove I wasn't dependancy the licence was given for all the right reasons and despite the issues I now stand employed

Last edited:
I agree Craig(as a former hgv king of the road) but I think Jim was responding to your thoughts lol ...but yes I was quite happy to take misuse...

I agree Craig(as a former hgv king of the road) but I think Jim was responding to your thoughts lol ...but yes I was quite happy to take misuse...
Yes Sorry John
But you will be fine done all the right things
But I hope I answered Jim

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off