Shotgun license

Convicted Driver Insurance

Alldaybreakfastin

Well Known Member
Hello, me again.

Has anyone had any experience of obtaining a shotgun license with a DD offence? Or knows how likely it is to be able to obtain one in the future?

My dad passed away recently leaving several shotguns. My uncle is trying for a license to keep them (I think he will definitely get it), but one day I’d love to be able to inherit his guns and get my own license.

I have a totally clean record apart from a drunk drive (42). I co-operated with police and have no listed mental health issues apart from anxiety which has been dormant for years and unmedicated, until this charge of course!

Thank you

It varies from police force to police force.
In some areas, as soon as you have a drink drive conviction they tell you your shotgun certificate is revoked.
In others you get a written warning about your future involvement with alcohol.
It will certainly be a factor in their decision making to see if you are suitable for holding a shotgun certificate, as they will checks with your GP about your medical history. This is standard for all applications.
They would also want to be shown the security around the storage of the weapons and what use you have for them (clay lodge on shooting club, permission from a landowner to shoot on their land etc)

It varies from police force to police force.
In some areas, as soon as you have a drink drive conviction they tell you your shotgun certificate is revoked.
In others you get a written warning about your future involvement with alcohol.
It will certainly be a factor in their decision making to see if you are suitable for holding a shotgun certificate, as they will checks with your GP about your medical history. This is standard for all applications.
They would also want to be shown the security around the storage of the weapons and what use you have for them (clay lodge on shooting club, permission from a landowner to shoot on their land etc)
Thanks for this. I was certainly not thinking about applying any time soon - I’m thinking years. I will almost certainly have kept a clean record since this event. I would be wanting to go to the local clay range, also have land but don’t shoot live.

They have actually been out today to check the cabinet - surprisingly didn’t remove guns (4 shotguns and an air rifle). Just locked cabinet and took keys, and my dads license. Took application for license off uncle. This is not my home address. Uncle has completely clean record and the guns have been at his address for a very long time.

Maybe I should wave bye to inheriting the guns. Would you say even after the 11 years have elapsed a singular drink drive of a low limit would be enough to refuse application?

Thanks for your time, once again

Contact the shooting association I can’t remember the name but they have a monthly magazine
It’s well known
I think if you arrange to store guns at a club they will be ok
Worth exploring when you consider all the people with gun licences
Good luck

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off