seizure

Convicted Driver Insurance

Ginge78

Hi all....
Not sure if anyone has had this issue.. but back in april last year i had 2 seizures in the space of 10 min due to cutting right down on alcohol.. got taken to hospital and spent 9 days in there.. very lucky for me the hospital gave me a detox and have'nt drank since.. and never will again.. my question is will i need to be seizure free for 12 months before the dvla will issue my lisence? is was due to get it back on the 9th january this year.. had my medical back in november.. recived a letter last sat from the dvla saying there getting touch with my doctor and they will be in touch after that. Not sure how much longer this is going to take...!!! I've got no history of seizures or any other health problems... but will the 2 seizures i had cause me a problem..?
many thanks
jamie

Hi all....
Not sure if anyone has had this issue.. but back in april last year i had 2 seizures in the space of 10 min due to cutting right down on alcohol.. got taken to hospital and spent 9 days in there.. very lucky for me the hospital gave me a detox and have'nt drank since.. and never will again.. my question is will i need to be seizure free for 12 months before the dvla will issue my lisence? is was due to get it back on the 9th january this year.. had my medical back in november.. recived a letter last sat from the dvla saying there getting touch with my doctor and they will be in touch after that. Not sure how much longer this is going to take...!!! I've got no history of seizures or any other health problems... but will the 2 seizures i had cause me a problem..?
many thanks
jamie
I think DVLA will (rightly so) be concerned about the seizures as they don't want somebody behind the wheel who is prone to them, and they will request more information from your medical practitioners that the reason behind them is under control before they will consider returning your licence.

Are you classed as an HRO and were you due a medical prior to receiving your licence back? As you will now more than likely be classed as alcohol dependent (because you have undertaken a detox and been in hospital for alcohol withdrawal), they will require proof of abstinence from alcohol for at least 12 months, and even if you are not HRO they may now require a medical. You will need your GP on board to help with this, have you had any LFT's taken by your GP over the last 12 months?

The emphasis is on you being able to prove that you have had 12 months free of alcohol, they will not just take your word for it so LFT's from your GP, along with them confirming that you recorded your last drink, coupled with a CDT test from a DVLA medical that corroborates no alcohol intake will be needed.

I think DVLA will (rightly so) be concerned about the seizures as they don't want somebody behind the wheel who is prone to them, and they will request more information from your medical practitioners that the reason behind them is under control before they will consider returning your licence.

Are you classed as an HRO and were you due a medical prior to receiving your licence back? As you will now more than likely be classed as alcohol dependent (because you have undertaken a detox and been in hospital for alcohol withdrawal), they will require proof of abstinence from alcohol for at least 12 months, and even if you are not HRO they may now require a medical. You will need your GP on board to help with this, have you had any LFT's taken by your GP over the last 12 months?

The emphasis is on you being able to prove that you have had 12 months free of alcohol, they will not just take your word for it so LFT's from your GP, along with them confirming that you recorded your last drink, coupled with a CDT test from a DVLA medical that corroborates no alcohol intake will be needed.
yeah.. i am in the HRO bracket.. in got a 28 month ban community service and a fine.. The medical i had was with the dvla.. i'm assuming my bloods were ok as i have'nt heard anything about the results.. so no news is good news i suppose.. I have had LFT's last year 2x bloods and a liver scan at the hospital which all came back normal ( Apart from a bit of fatty tissue which we all have with or without alcohol ) and no more seizures since last april.. which i only had due to withdrawell as never suffered with any thing like that in my life so far, and hopefully won't again..
thanks for your reply...

yeah.. i am in the HRO bracket.. in got a 28 month ban community service and a fine.. The medical i had was with the dvla.. i'm assuming my bloods were ok as i have'nt heard anything about the results.. so no news is good news i suppose.. I have had LFT's last year 2x bloods and a liver scan at the hospital which all came back normal ( Apart from a bit of fatty tissue which we all have with or without alcohol ) and no more seizures since last april.. which i only had due to withdrawell as never suffered with any thing like that in my life so far, and hopefully won't again..
thanks for your reply...

With withdrawal, an alcohol related siezure and a Detox the DVLA will put you into the dependence category. They will expect a minimum of 12 months alcohol free with evidence to back that in order for your to be re-licenced. That evidence will be the date you last consumed alcohol recorded with your doctor and LFT's throughout the year returning normal results. This is not what the DVLA officially ask for, however it's the fastest most effective way to provide evidence, going by experience on this forum it is accepted every time.

When you are re-licenced you will be issued a 1 year licence and will have a medical at renewal every year for up to 6 years. If you admit to drinking within this time your licence will be revoked for 12 months. Also any doctors or hospital visits pertaining to alcohol will also be a revoke. You now need your GP on your side for the next few years. Once deemed dependent by the DVLA it's pretty much the choice between alcohol and driving, as if you ever have a blip with alcohol again they'll revoke you.

With withdrawal, an alcohol related siezure and a Detox the DVLA will put you into the dependence category. They will expect a minimum of 12 months alcohol free with evidence to back that in order for your to be re-licenced. That evidence will be the date you last consumed alcohol recorded with your doctor and LFT's throughout the year returning normal results. This is not what the DVLA officially ask for, however it's the fastest most effective way to provide evidence, going by experience on this forum it is accepted every time.

When you are re-licenced you will be issued a 1 year licence and will have a medical at renewal every year for up to 6 years. If you admit to drinking within this time your licence will be revoked for 12 months. Also any doctors or hospital visits pertaining to alcohol will also be a revoke. You now need your GP on your side for the next few years. Once deemed dependent by the DVLA it's pretty much the choice between alcohol and driving, as if you ever have a blip with alcohol again they'll revoke you.
Ok.. Well my last drink was on the 8th of April 2020 and like i said i've had liver tests through out last year.. so that should cover that i've had no alcohol since the 8th.. i must admit i have'nt seen my GP since last year march time i think.. but have spoken to him over the phone a couple of times.. i can completely understand the concernes that the dvla would have.. so would i to be honest.. but getting it back for a year at a time is better than not having a licence at all...
thanks again for advice.. very helpfull..
cheers...

Licence Back.. at last..!!! :) Been issued a 1 year license, then a medical to have in January 2022 and go from there.. But there should be no issues with passing that as i've not touched a drop of drink for nearly a year now.. and will to continue to do so.. i was lucky and very greatfull for the detox i received in hospital back in april last year. really sorted my life out..! Now ive got my licence back ill never let it go again. Just would like to say thank you to grice96 who's advice was spot on.. he or she definitely know there stuff..!!! So THANK YOU for your advice...:)(y). Anyone who receive's advice from grice96... take it... he/she got mine spot on...!!!!!
GOOD LUCK TO EVERYBODY Hope you all get sorted really soon...

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off