Section88 again!!

Convicted Driver Insurance

chrism2800

Established Member
I'm at my wit's end,been to see a go at my practice,who then went to consult with the senior go,who refused to confirm my fitness to drive,to speak with the practice manager you must first submit a letter,so my last hope is to try and book an appointment with the senior gp as he is still claiming it's not something they do without a request from dvla!!!
Help!!
My one year licence is about to expire...

It is all about semantics. You don't need the GP to confirm that you ARE fit to drive, you just need them to confirm that in their professional opinion based on the evidence they have, you are NOT unfit to drive.

If they think that you ARE unfit to drive, ask them why and what evidence they have that them think this. If they have no reason other than they are covering their own arses, then you have a valid reason to complain, firstly to the practice manager (ask the surgery for a copy of their complaints procedure), then if you get nowhere to the health service ombudsman.

It is all about semantics. You don't need the GP to confirm that you ARE fit to drive, you just need them to confirm that in their professional opinion based on the evidence they have, you are NOT unfit to drive.

If they think that you ARE unfit to drive, ask them why and what evidence they have that them think this. If they have no reason other than they are covering their own arses, then you have a valid reason to complain, firstly to the practice manager (ask the surgery for a copy of their complaints procedure), then if you get nowhere to the health service ombudsman.

Thanks for that ,all I got from a dvla medical receptionist was that if the doctor wouldn't confirm fitness to drive then I couldn't drive

Chrism

I've created a thread of my own about this same issue. The admin lady in my surgery states my GP won't just do a 'health check' at my own request.

She states the DVLA usually write to the GP - which we all know should happen!!!! The whole purpose of the health check is to allow us to drive in the interim until the DVLA write to the GP!!!!

I kind of feel like I'm going round in circles just dealing with red tape and idiots.

CJ

Chrism

I've created a thread of my own about this same issue. The admin lady in my surgery states my GP won't just do a 'health check' at my own request.

She states the DVLA usually write to the GP - which we all know should happen!!!! The whole purpose of the health check is to allow us to drive in the interim until the DVLA write to the GP!!!!

I kind of feel like I'm going round in circles just dealing with red tape and idiots.

CJ
Hi pal,after speaking with the head GP today,he said he is not allowed by law to make that decision,if dvla write to him his words"Chris it will take me 5 seconds" but they never write!!
So back onto the dvla medical team straight after,told the advisor it has to be a dvla appointed doctor,or a request letter,she explained the backlog as we all know too well,and also it's a grey area so the onus is on me to see regarding section 88,and should they feel the need to contact my gp they will...
So the section 88 rules are out of date,as he also said a few years ago it wouldn't have been an issue....
Would like to hear from others going through this...
Good luck pal

No mate,thinking of changing GPs,tried finding a private one local today but no joy,the thing is my medical notes,including his refusal will no doubt go to the next surgery....
I really would be taking the approach big tom has said. You seem to want a fitness to drive which your Gp is unwilling to do. Ask the question do they see any medical reason you cannot drive and if they say no then record that on your notes then its down to you to decide if you make the criteria.

I really would be taking the approach big tom has said. You seem to want a fitness to drive which your Gp is unwilling to do. Ask the question do they see any medical reason you cannot drive and if they say no then record that on your notes then its down to you to decide if you make the criteria.
He said he cannot say if I'm fit to drive or not mate,and does what the DVLA advisor carry any weight??

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off