Section 88

Convicted Driver Insurance

catbells

Can someone please advise. I was banned as a HRO in Jan 2012. My disqualification ended 2015. I have reapplied for my license and sent my application 2 weeks ago. I also have a medical issue which the dvla know about. They issued my previous licence on a 2 yr basis.
I understand I will have to pass a cdt test and also a medical about my condition. I have no doubts about either and my doctor is ok with me reapplying.
My question is, on this basis can I drive under section 88 until all dvla enquiries have been completed and a decision made. As soon as the £90 cheque has been cleared I assume the process is underway. I am understanding that I can then drive?
Also what are the current timescales?
Solid advise would be appreciated.

As your conviction was before 1st June 2013, you are allowed to drive under S88 pending the medical enquiries.
The only criteria is that you are sure that DVLA have received your application and it is correct, plus your doctor has no concerns about you driving again.
You have done your research well!

As your conviction was before 1st June 2013, you are allowed to drive under S88 pending the medical enquiries.
The only criteria is that you are sure that DVLA have received your application and it is correct, plus your doctor has no concerns about you driving again.
You have done your research well!
Thankyou. What do you mean correct?

I mean that you Have put your full details in the application, signed it and sent the correct money to the correct address

Hi - not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but just to ensure no-one gets caught out - Please check with your insurance company that they are happy for you to drive under section 88. Where possible also obtain a letter from your GP (or a copy they have sent the DVLA) that you are fit to drive. Most insurer's will accept Section 88 licencing especially given the last 12 months covid and DVLA delays, But better safe than sorry.

Whilst awaiting my medical i keep a copy of my doctors letter, my motor certificate, a screen shot of the DVLA website showing section 88 cover and details of the date i sent my application to the DVLA. You should also check with the DVLA they have received your application and the date of receipt as this is when your 12 months section 88 cover commences. (I almost got caught out and had to re-submit a D1 as my section 88 expires 2 days after my medical and I wanted absolute belt and braces to make sure I am not breaking the law awaiting reissue - and yes i have been waiting 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days for my medical!)

Should go without saying that:-
1) notify your insurer
2) Section 88 does not apply to drivers coming off a ban period and awaiting a medical - only those that are renewing a medical licence
3) carry as much documentation as you can with you to prove any matters at the roadside

Hi - not wishing to be the bearer of bad news but just to ensure no-one gets caught out - Please check with your insurance company that they are happy for you to drive under section 88. Where possible also obtain a letter from your GP (or a copy they have sent the DVLA) that you are fit to drive. Most insurer's will accept Section 88 licencing especially given the last 12 months covid and DVLA delays, But better safe than sorry.

Whilst awaiting my medical i keep a copy of my doctors letter, my motor certificate, a screen shot of the DVLA website showing section 88 cover and details of the date i sent my application to the DVLA. You should also check with the DVLA they have received your application and the date of receipt as this is when your 12 months section 88 cover commences. (I almost got caught out and had to re-submit a D1 as my section 88 expires 2 days after my medical and I wanted absolute belt and braces to make sure I am not breaking the law awaiting reissue - and yes i have been waiting 11 months, 3 weeks and 4 days for my medical!)

1) notify your insurer
2) Section 88 does not apply to drivers coming off a ban period and awaiting a medical - only those that are renewing a medical licence
3) carry as much documentation as you can with you to prove any matters at the roadside
Thank you for the update. I was disqualified in 2012 until 2015 as HRO. I know I will have to have blood test. I also know I will have enquires into medical condition.
I did reapply for my license back in 2018 and while waiting for blood test was told by DVLA I was entitled to drive under section 88 as my medical was fine. Unfortunately finances were a problem for me at that time. I therefore didn't proceed further.
Are you now saying this has changed?

Thank you for the update. I was disqualified in 2012 until 2015 as HRO. I know I will have to have blood test. I also know I will have enquires into medical condition.
I did reapply for my license back in 2018 and while waiting for blood test was told by DVLA I was entitled to drive under section 88 as my medical was fine. Unfortunately finances were a problem for me at that time. I therefore didn't proceed further.
Are you now saying this has changed?
If a conviction is before

1) notify your insurer
I think your info re section 88 isn’t all correct. Disqualification before 1st June 2013 allows you to drive.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off