Returning licence to DVLA

Convicted Driver Insurance

AndyJG

Well Known Member
What are the legal ramifications, of not returning your licence to the DVLA......as its the only photographic ID i have...?

Hi ace there isn't any,it got lost in the post,or at the dvla.
Who is ace?

The ramifications of not returning your licence are not as straightforward as bob says. Legally the licence is not your property (not sure if technically property of the DVLA??), if you use it when it has been revoked for any reason is a criminal offence. Obviously if you use it to collect post from the sorting office etc., this would never cause an issue. However if you attempt to use the licence for proof of ability to drive, you are committing fraud and the consequences are quite frightening.

Who is ace?

The ramifications of not returning your licence are not as straightforward as bob says. Legally the licence is not your property (not sure if technically property of the DVLA??), if you use it when it has been revoked for any reason is a criminal offence. Obviously if you use it to collect post from the sorting office etc., this would never cause an issue. However if you attempt to use the licence for proof of ability to drive, you are committing fraud and the consequences are quite frightening.
Hi I call everybody ace.am only guessing he has been banned or has had the licence revoked for whatever reason,he has not stated.i never handed mine to the court or returned it to the dvla and nobody asked why.

It would obviously not be used for proof of my ability to drive....its just for proof of identity........as i have a car to sell...and they require photographic proof im who i say i am...! ...banned for 18 months, incidently....plus as stated..its my only photographic proof of my ID

It would obviously not be used for proof of my ability to drive....its just for proof of identity........as i have a car to sell...and they require photographic proof im who i say i am...! ...banned for 18 months, incidently....plus as stated..its my only photographic proof of my ID
I really think you should be fine.

Like I said, showing at post office etc. to collect a parcel would not cause any queries. If you used as legal ID however (e.g. applying for something that asks for proof of ID such as opening bank account, applying for mortgage etc.) they may check against the DVLA database. In this case, you will have intentionally used an fake document (which is fraud) and if reported, could potentially be arrested and charged. Probably won't happen, but just be aware that it could!

Thanks for the replies,guys...im still undecided what to do, as i have two cars and need to sell at least one of them, and i need photo id to do that... as for not owning my licence...I disagree...i paid for the photograph, I paid for that bit of plastic...i paid for that postage...and as long as im not using it to drive....im not commiting fraud...DVLA only own my right to drive....not my identity

Thanks for the replies,guys...im still undecided what to do, as i have two cars and need to sell at least one of them, and i need photo id to do that... as for not owning my licence...I disagree...i paid for the photograph, I paid for that bit of plastic...i paid for that postage...and as long as im not using it to drive....im not commiting fraud...DVLA only own my right to drive....not my identity
You've already made your mind up so good luck! You think because you paid for the licence that you own it? LOL :p If you own it, why have the DVLA asked for it back? They won't refund you, they have revoked it (they are confiscating it as it is no longer a valid document)

If you use a fake document (and a licence that has been revoked and not returned/destroyed IS fake) then you are committing fraud by using it. It doesn't matter what you use it for, the licence is not valid therefore you cannot use it legally. If you use it for anything, this is illegal - It is fraud by misrepresentation. You knowingly use that the document that is not valid. Even if you use it to prove ID you may as well be using a hooky licence you bought off t'internet - same law.

You initially asked what the ramifications of using the licence was, 99% of the time you will probably be lucky, but 1% of the time you may not. I don't know if the 99/1 ratio is correct but by using it you will be breaking the law in one way or another.

And by the way, you don't need photo ID to sell a car usually. Yes you may have to prove ID, but there are other ways to do this.

"im still undecided what to do" guess you missed this part...right at the beginning...as for "you dont need photo ID"....well the dealer has asked for it...thanks for your input..

I don't have any photographic ID (paper driving licence and expired passport), and have not had any issues (apart from trying to join an online GP service).

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off