Return of Lisence in August 2020

Convicted Driver Insurance

driver87

Hello,

I am a little concerned about DVLA re-issuing my licence because of Covid-19. I was convicted back in July 2019 after failing to provide, which put me in the HRO category. It was my first offence. I was disqualified for 17 months but was offered to go on a drink driving awareness course. I completed this in October 2019 and my ban was reduced by 4 months. Officially my ban ends on the 18th August 2020. The last letter I got from DVLA was that they would write to me 90 days before my ban ends. Apparently the normal process of reapplying takes months. However from what I've been reading on here, because of the Covid-19, DVLA won't write to me and is not accepting paper applications to renew licences (which is the only way to re-apply after being disqualified). Also being a HRO I will need to pass a medical with one of their doctors - which have been suspended.

However key workers who needed medicals for other conditions not related to alcohol have had their medicals suspended and a temporary licence issued so they can continue driving. They have also extended the privileges to everyone allowing an extension of 6 months on the MOT, cars which could have failed their MOT. In my eyes those people who are still allowed to drive under those circumstances can equally be just a danger on the road right now no more than someone who just needs to pass his medical so show I am not abusing alcohol anymore.

It's a little bit frustrating because by completing and paying to go on the awareness course I reduced my ban and by no fault of my own DVLA are not accepting paper applications to renew licences at the moment, so it seems highly unfair that I may have to serve out my original period of disqualification. They also are not answering any emails or calls unless you are a front line worker.

Is there any legal advice someone can offer me or how I can get in contact with DVLA to get around this?

Kind regards,

Bradley

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off