Refused license but disqualification over - driving without license or whilst disqualified

Convicted Driver Insurance

TheDrunkMunchkin

Theoretical question and this does not apply to me. I’m about 2 years into a 3 and a half year ban for a DR10 where nobody else was involved, so still a long way to go yet

Once the disqualification period ends, if after the medical examination for a High Risk Offender, the DVLA refuse to give your license back and you decide to drive anyway, what would be the offence - driving without a license or driving whilst disqualified?

As the former, which is typically a small fine and 6 points, is far less serious than the latter which is at the boundary between a community order and custodial sentence

I’m not condoning anyone doing this, though I could certainly see why, after serving an (overly) long ban and still being refused your license back, it would certainly be understandable to stick two fingers up to the system

DD offenders would be regarded as disqualified until they have completed their ban, submitted their application to have their license restored, undergone a DVLA Medical, and had their application approved by the DVLA who consider all the facts including the results of the medical, and the information provided about current drinking habits. If these do not reflect Government safe guidelines red flags may be raised. For HROs the DVLA also generally write to GPs after the DVLA medical. There is a standard questionnaire that GPs are asked to complete. It helps to have an established relationship with your GP, so that the form doesn’t land up with a GP that you don’t know.
I imagine the DVLA a would take a very dim view of anyone driving before this process is complete.

Theoretical question and this does not apply to me. I’m about 2 years into a 3 and a half year ban for a DR10 where nobody else was involved, so still a long way to go yet

Once the disqualification period ends, if after the medical examination for a High Risk Offender, the DVLA refuse to give your license back and you decide to drive anyway, what would be the offence - driving without a license or driving whilst disqualified?

As the former, which is typically a small fine and 6 points, is far less serious than the latter which is at the boundary between a community order and custodial sentence

I’m not condoning anyone doing this, though I could certainly see why, after serving an (overly) long ban and still being refused your license back, it would certainly be understandable to stick two fingers up to the system
Key worker makes excellent points. It would be highly inadvisable as one would also be driving without insurance and the whole episode would further complicate everything. The whole HRO process is tortuous but in my case I was entirely responsible for getting myself embroiled in it .

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off