Reapplying for license after 1st temp one runs out

Convicted Driver Insurance

R25644

Well Known Member
Hey, I’m wondering if anyone in this thread could help me. My 1st 1 year temp license will expire in November and they haven’t contacted me about another medical.
I plan to send of a D1 form myself as I don’t trust the timescales of DVLA. But do I tick the box for renewing for medical reasons or because I was disqualified?

Yes it’s the medical box you tick.

But sit tight - they’ll send the paperwork soon; mine ran out last year end of Sep and letter came through early-July. So it’s usually 8-12 weeks before. D1 and everything will come with that. Because it’s a medical application, you may not need to send a cheque (I didn’t - they paid for medical after 1-year temp).

The DVLA do seem to be making headway with their backlog, so hopefully yours is a smooth process.

Good luck!! :D

Yes it’s the medical box you tick.

But sit tight - they’ll send the paperwork soon; mine ran out last year end of Sep and letter came through early-July. So it’s usually 8-12 weeks before. D1 and everything will come with that. Because it’s a medical application, you may not need to send a cheque (I didn’t - they paid for medical after 1-year temp).

The DVLA do seem to be making headway with their backlog, so hopefully yours is a smooth process.

Good luck!! :D
Ah thank you! Maybe I’m just being over cautious after the terrible I had the first time. I might hang in and wait.
Beginning to stress as I’m about to start my teacher training and could do without the DVLA delays again 😂
Thank you

Ah thank you! Maybe I’m just being over cautious after the terrible I had the first time. I might hang in and wait.
Beginning to stress as I’m about to start my teacher training and could do without the DVLA delays again 😂
Thank you
Sent it recorded definitely as when they have your application and your license expires, which it may,you can drive on section 88,as long as DVLA have received the application!

Sent it recorded definitely as when they have your application and your license expires, which it may,you can drive on section 88,as long as DVLA have received the application!
Yeah that’s definitely a good idea! My license expires in just over 8 weeks.
I’m more concerned with the time it takes as my car insurance runs out in January and could do without trying to get reinsured under section 88.
Such a nightmare having to go through all this again. Maybe I’m just stressing over nothing though, as long as DVLA have got their act together.

Yes, I had this as my license expired when it came to renewal. Been locked into the same insurer until recently, when full license finally came back. 😎

Does anyone have a picture of what it says online when you have been given a temp 1 year license please?

Hey, I’m wondering if anyone in this thread could help me. My 1st 1 year temp license will expire in November and they haven’t contacted me about another medical.
I plan to send of a D1 form myself as I don’t trust the timescales of DVLA. But do I tick the box for renewing for medical reasons or because I was disqualified?

If it expires in November, then get the D1 sent off now. Please send everything via recorded delivery to the DVLA.

Just to give you the heads up - my 12 month temporary licence expired on the 21st January this year, and despite sending off my D1 last October, I am still waiting for my next medical I kid you not!!!!!!

CJ

Hey CJ, when did you last call them? Mine mystically progressed and issued within 48 hours of me calling, a mere 4 months after the medical! Funnily enough the medical also took a telephone ‘cajoling’.

I swear some of us are queued until we chase.

Hey CJ, when did you last call them? Mine mystically progressed and issued within 48 hours of me calling, a mere 4 months after the medical! Funnily enough the medical also took a telephone ‘cajoling’.

I swear some of us are queued until we chase.

To be honest, I've not rung them at all. I've had quite alot on my plate at present with work related stuff. I did receive a letter at the end of May saying they were writing to my GP, but nothing since then. I've not rung the DVLA purely because I haven't got the patience to sit and wait forever on their phone system while someone answers.

CJ

Was very much the same sentiment here, but it was my last resort before I got in touch with the local Member of Perjury Parliament again. So just decided to do it and leave the phone on speaker until I got through. On the two/three occasions I’ve done that the case has magically progressed a few days later.

Was very much the same sentiment here, but it was my last resort before I got in touch with the local Member of Perjury Parliament again. So just decided to do it and leave the phone on speaker until I got through. On the two/three occasions I’ve done that the case has magically progressed a few days later.

How long where you on hold for trying to get through? Heard stories on here of people waiting up to 2 hours in a queue waiting for someone at Swansea to pick up.

CJ

Does anyone have a picture of what it says online when you have been given a temp 1 year license please?
It just shows exactly the same as it would if you had been given a 10 year licence, except the expiry date will be in 1 year instead of 10 years...

How long where you on hold for trying to get through? Heard stories on here of people waiting up to 2 hours in a queue waiting for someone at Swansea to pick up.

CJ
Last time they said in excess of 30 minutes, it took 35.

Most recent it said same but 20, took 25.

The switchboard sequence has changed recently, it seems better. If you call at the right time and are patient (I just stick phone on loudspeaker and do something else) you’ll get through.

Just a little update. I sent of a D1 form on the 12th. Today I received my medical questionnaire and application form which I will send off tomorrow morning (recorded of course).
Although I have remained sober since I got arrested in November 2019 I still have to tick yes to a lot of boxes. I would be very surprised to get a full 10 year license. But hopefully I can get a medical and a renewed license before my insurance expires in January. Could do without the stress 😂

I reported myself as a problem drinker and received a one year ban.

I'll be sending my renewal papers in tomorrow.

At my first medical, I had my stomach prodded a few times and they asked if it hurt (it didn't), then blood was taken.

I was in and out in 15 minutes.

I've lost track of the exact time but I've been teetotal for over 2 years now.

Will I definitely need to to a medical again?

And does anyone know how long my new licence is likely to last?

Thanks in advance.

I reported myself as a problem drinker and received a one year ban.

I'll be sending my renewal papers in tomorrow.

At my first medical, I had my stomach prodded a few times and they asked if it hurt (it didn't), then blood was taken.

I was in and out in 15 minutes.

I've lost track of the exact time but I've been teetotal for over 2 years now.

Will I definitely need to to a medical again?

And does anyone know how long my new licence is likely to last?

Thanks in advance.
So you lost your license for one year after you surrendered it due to alcohol misuse. Then I guess you did a medical and received a one year temp license which is now about to expire?
You will definitely need to do a medical again.
As far as I can tell the DVLA can give you one year licenses for 6 years if they see fit.
But I’m hoping another blood test and questionnaire might be enough for you to get a full 10 year back!

Just a little update. I sent of a D1 form on the 12th. Today I received my medical questionnaire and application form which I will send off tomorrow morning (recorded of course).
Although I have remained sober since I got arrested in November 2019 I still have to tick yes to a lot of boxes. I would be very surprised to get a full 10 year license. But hopefully I can get a medical and a renewed license before my insurance expires in January. Could do without the stress 😂

I received my medical form a fortnight after sending my D1 in which was early November last year (2021). Like your good self, I stopped drinking alcohol in mid 2019.

As per my previous posts, I have been using section 88 for the last eight months, and the last I heard, my GP had received the DVLA medical form and it was still in his pigeon hole awaiting his attention.

I will be very p**sed off, no seriously p**sed off, if at the end of this farce, the DVLA award me another 12 month driving licence. I am hoping for a three year licence at least. Like you, I can't see myself getting my hands on a ten year licence just yet.

CJ

I received my medical form a fortnight after sending my D1 in which was early November last year (2021). Like your good self, I stopped drinking alcohol in mid 2019.

As per my previous posts, I have been using section 88 for the last eight months, and the last I heard, my GP had received the DVLA medical form and it was still in his pigeon hole awaiting his attention.

I will be very p**sed off, no seriously p**sed off, if at the end of this farce, the DVLA award me another 12 month driving licence. I am hoping for a three year licence at least. Like you, I can't see myself getting my hands on a ten year licence just yet.

CJ
I'm here as we speak at Southport medical centre,bring change for the parking machines!
Will report back after I've been seen

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off