Reading of 59- court date looms struggling to afford solicitor.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dickhead11

Hi- I thought I was ok to drive home after a night out. Had car accident, no other cars/people involved. Car may be written off. Was arrested at scene and spent night in custody. Declined solicitor and admitted liability in interview. I cooperated and don’t have previous. Haven’t told job yet.

You are looking at a ban of 12-16 months. The upper level for that range is 59, so with the accident as well, you could get 16 months.
There are 2 ways of reducing that.
One is mitigation - which can include remorse, no previous convictions and character references (2 or 3, in writing, which could include employer, to submit to the court) You can do this yourself. If you use a solicitor then you could expect to pay at least £300. There may be the option of the duty solicitor free at court but if it is a busy day they their focus will be on the more serious cases and they will decline to deal with you as there is no risk of custody in your case.

The other is to be offered, and accept, to do a Drink Drive Rehabilitation Course. This has to be offered in court during your hearing. It cannot be offered after that. This will get you a minimum of 3 months off your ban at 12 months, and up to 25% of a ban above that. It takes place over 3 days and you have to pay for it - costs £150-250 depending on the provider that you chose. The magistrates will probably offer you the course, but make a note to ask them if they do not.

You can of course do both, submit mitigation to try to keep the length of the ban down, then benefit from the reduction offered by the course.
Telling your employer depends on what your contract of employment says, and if you need to drive for work. They may take a dim view if you do not tell them, then your name and occupation appears in the newspaper the following week.....

Hi there, was in a similar situation to you. I was caught the first time and blew 69, crashed, arrested and spent the night in the nick. Firstly always ask for a duty solicitor before being questioned this way they will represent you in court and help you prepare your mitigation. Just as a reference I got 16 month ban, did the dd course reduced to 12 months, £180 fine £80 costs and £60 victom surcharge. Hope this helps.

Hi Drew, yes have for a solicitor although I’m wondering what’s the pony as ban is so inevitable. Things aren’t so food, the whole thing has been like a grenade to my marriage ?

Hi there, was in a similar situation to you. I was caught the first time and blew 69, crashed, arrested and spent the night in the nick. Firstly always ask for a duty solicitor before being questioned this way they will represent you in court and help you prepare your mitigation. Just as a reference I got 16 month ban, did the dd course reduced to 12 months, £180 fine £80 costs and £60 victom surcharge. Hope this helps.
Thanks for this. Yes It was definitely a mistake refusing the solicitor at the station. I just wasn’t thinking straight.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off