Reactions to DR10 Conviction(s) when applying for a job

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Just a general query, but I would be grateful for some first hand experiences.

I have been out of the job market for a few years now, (I'm 63,) but have been thinking about trying to get a part time, office based job in the near future.

I would imagine that when you apply for a job it will ask about criminal convictions and as Drink Driving is such a conviction, then you would need to declare it.

What has been your experience of the reactions of potential employers when you have declared that you have a conviction?

It very much depends - on the job area, attitude of people recruiting and so on (and on). Key thing is - be upfront and honest. DBS checks will establish the truth. Most jobs will state if a DBS check is required and at what level.

Luna

Drink driving is a unique offence in that it doesn't reflect on the integrity of the job applicant. Although a criminal offence, it is a high end traffic offence - it is one of a few criminal convictions were there is no degree of malice on the part of the defendant.

The offence of theft involves an act of dishonesty that is malicious, the offence of assault involves causing harm to the victim which is malicious (or certainly reckless), while even public order and breach of the peace offences show an element of aggressive conduct which could be perceived to be malicious.

From what I have established in the competitive world of job seeking, drinking driving is generally a no-no in professional driving jobs like becoming a HGV driver or bus driver. I believe these jobs are out of bounds as long as there is a DR10 on the driving licence. I recently had an interesting conversation with a Transport Manager who stated he was advised against employing a convicted drink driver for a 'desk bound' administration role because the unspent conviction wasn't in best keeping with the professional image of the business he worked for. I thought this was crazy!!!!

As well as professional driving I suspect roles with alcohol licencing may be tricky. If say you wanted to become a publican or a council person working in their licencing team, I believe drink driving would be detrimental because the licencing industry is built around professionals enforcing common sense and responsibility surrounding the sale and consumption of alcohol. Unfortunately, drink driving displays a lack of responsibility in safe drinking.

Outside of this - most other jobs are not necessarily off limits, even those working with children or vulnerable adults are not out of the equation (they involve a enhanced DBS check). A lot of potential employers sometimes question how the candidate will commute to work if they do not have a driving licence. Once you are re-instated on the road, this isn't even a problem!!!!

CJ

Last edited:
Hi Luna,

I am a Civil Servant and was completely honest with my employer about my stupidity and they were very understanding and allowed me to stay employed as the conviction had no bearing on the work I do. I also discovered an employee of mine had a DUI conviction before applying, which was not spent and they still employed him. Like C J 1980 has mentioned, unless it were a position where you were required to drive or high authority i.e. the Police Force, most employers will be fine about it :)

Hi Luna,

I am a Civil Servant and was completely honest with my employer about my stupidity and they were very understanding and allowed me to stay employed as the conviction had no bearing on the work I do. I also discovered an employee of mine had a DUI conviction before applying, which was not spent and they still employed him. Like C J 1980 has mentioned, unless it were a position where you were required to drive or high authority i.e. the Police Force, most employers will be fine about it :)

Yes, I to worked for a Local Authority when I got my first DUI. I did tell them and offered to resign, but HR said that just because I couldn't drive didn't mean I couldn't do the job (even though some travel was required,) plus it would also be discriminatory against non drivers.

As I said I am retired and don't want to back to doing what I did previously as although I enjoyed the work, it was incredibly stressful and confrontational on an almost daily basis.

I'll probably wait until I have my licence back (who knows when,) and then begin looking.

Just a general query, but I would be grateful for some first hand experiences.

I have been out of the job market for a few years now, (I'm 63,) but have been thinking about trying to get a part time, office based job in the near future.

I would imagine that when you apply for a job it will ask about criminal convictions and as Drink Driving is such a conviction, then you would need to declare it.

What has been your experience of the reactions of potential employers when you have declared that you have a conviction?
Like yourself I found myself looking for work, and I took an office based sales job (never asked about my driving licence status at the time of interview). All went well (as I could walk to the office ) until I was asked to collect someone from the airport!
I declined this request with an excuse, but things came to a head and I had to inform the company that I didn’t have a current driving license. I was immediately sacked.
Took company to court and won the unfair dismissal case.
With hindsight I would always declare my driving status with prospective employers.
If they really want to employ you for you’re relevant talents/experience this should be of more importance, than the ability to drive which won’t be in your job description.

Like yourself I found myself looking for work, and I took an office based sales job (never asked about my driving licence status at the time of interview). All went well (as I could walk to the office ) until I was asked to collect someone from the airport!
I declined this request with an excuse, but things came to a head and I had to inform the company that I didn’t have a current driving license. I was immediately sacked.
Took company to court and won the unfair dismissal case.
With hindsight I would always declare my driving status with prospective employers.
If they really want to employ you for you’re relevant talents/experience this should be of more importance, than the ability to drive which won’t be in your job description.

Rayson

I find this quite odd - surely you would have had to disclose the unspent drink driving conviction on the application form when you applied for the sales job?

CJ

Rayson

I find this quite odd - surely you would have had to disclose the unspent drink driving conviction on the application form when you applied for the sales job?

CJ
No it was for an internal sales job, supporting the field sales staff, so no travel involved.

No it was for an internal sales job, supporting the field sales staff, so no travel involved.

Rayson

Sorry mate - I'm still struggling to grasp how the company would not know of your conviction? If it is a small company with a close knit team of staff, then your conviction would be common knowledge anyway before you got the sales job.

If it was for a larger company, with a dedicated HR, they keep personnel records and even if the role is internal, surely you would still have to complete a necessary application form just like an external applicant where you have to declare unspent convictions?

CJ

Rayson

Sorry mate - I'm still struggling to grasp how the company would not know of your conviction? If it is a small company with a close knit team of staff, then your conviction would be common knowledge anyway before you got the sales job.

If it was for a larger company, with a dedicated HR, they keep personnel records and even if the role is internal, surely you would still have to complete a necessary application form just like an external applicant where you have to declare unspent convictions?

CJ
Im sorry you’re having difficulty in understanding my story/situation. Due to my loss of licence and job and relationship and home, I moved to a new area to start a ‘new life’, I was never asked to confirm my driving licence status and keeping a low profile had been my best option.
Unlike some people I have met who have lost their licence, I have never advertised this fact as I still feel embarrassment and stupidity in drinking and driving.

Im sorry you’re having difficulty in understanding my story/situation. Due to my loss of licence and job and relationship and home, I moved to a new area to start a ‘new life’, I was never asked to confirm my driving licence status and keeping a low profile had been my best option.
Unlike some people I have met who have lost their licence, I have never advertised this fact as I still feel embarrassment and stupidity in drinking and driving.
Rayson, I think what CJ 1980 was saying is that you should really disclose any unspent criminal convictions as either part of your job application or part of your CV.

Yes it is embarrassing, but an employer has a right to know if any person they employ could potentially have an adverse affect on the company.

Even though it may not impact your job, a Drink Driving Conviction could be embarrassing depending on what the company does. It can also be construed as slightly 'dishonest.'

I suppose an argument could be made that the company should have asked the question and I would imagine that now they probably will.

Rayson, I think what CJ 1980 was saying is that you should really disclose any unspent criminal convictions as either part of your job application or part of your CV.

Yes it is embarrassing, but an employer has a right to know if any person they employ could potentially have an adverse affect on the company.

Even though it may not impact your job, a Drink Driving Conviction could be embarrassing depending on what the company does. It can also be construed as slightly 'dishonest.'

I suppose an argument could be made that the company should have asked the question and I would imagine that now they probably will.
Luna, I must disagree that you should put a drink drive conviction on your CV?? Yes, if you are asked at interview or as part of an application form, but to put on a CV would see EVERYBODY rejected from a job. A drink drive conviction is disclosable for job applications for 5 years IF ASKED (and 5 years for insurance whether asked or not)

Luna, I must disagree that you should put a drink drive conviction on your CV?? Yes, if you are asked at interview or as part of an application form, but to put on a CV would see EVERYBODY rejected from a job. A drink drive conviction is disclosable for job applications for 5 years IF ASKED (and 5 years for insurance whether asked or not)
I can see both sides of the argument. I have read lot's of CV's and interviewed people in the past and in my righteous indignation (?) if I had later discovered that someone had a DUI, I wouldn't have been happy.

Still, I suppose buyer beware might apply in this case.

Luna / Big Tom

I would never disclose any conviction on a CV or a cover letter. There is a time and place for disclosing convictions - they should be disclosed in the appropriate field on the application form.

I appreciate some employers only accept CV and cover letters, but if say you were invited to an interview, the topic of the DUI might come up if the potential employer asks about gaps in employment (if you ended up unemployed or dismissed as a result of the DUI).

This is the perfect opportunity to come clean and discuss your background. If they don't like what they hear - then that's just something you have to take on the chin.

From my own experience of job hunting post my conviction - the DUI usually has to be disclosed somewhere. Most responsible employers will conduct a basic DBS.

I was offered a six month FTC role in 2019 when I couldn't drive. It wasn't a problem - because I was commuting to the workplace via public transport.

However, I rsised the DUI at the conclusion of my interview because I had only provided a CV and cover letter at that stage.

I then had to sign a contract of employment and additional forms that included my next of kin, bank details (for my wages) and of course the good old section about previous cautions or convictions!!!!

Even temporary agency based jobs on minimum wage involve a declaration form about cautions and convictions. I should know because I was unfortunate to end up working in a dreay warehouse role on a zero hour contract for four weeks just after my conviction.

My previous comments on this thread weren't intended to ruffle any feathers. I just found it odd that Rayson, secured the sales job without the DUI coming to light.

CJ

Luna / Big Tom

I would never disclose any conviction on a CV or a cover letter. There is a time and place for disclosing convictions - they should be disclosed in the appropriate field on the application form.

I appreciate some employers only accept CV and cover letters, but if say you were invited to an interview, the topic of the DUI might come up if the potential employer asks about gaps in employment (if you ended up unemployed or dismissed as a result of the DUI).

This is the perfect opportunity to come clean and discuss your background. If they don't like what they hear - then that's just something you have to take on the chin.

From my own experience of job hunting post my conviction - the DUI usually has to be disclosed somewhere. Most responsible employers will conduct a basic DBS.

I was offered a six month FTC role in 2019 when I couldn't drive. It wasn't a problem - because I was commuting to the workplace via public transport.

However, I rsised the DUI at the conclusion of my interview because I had only provided a CV and cover letter at that stage.

I then had to sign a contract of employment and additional forms that included my next of kin, bank details (for my wages) and of course the good old section about previous cautions or convictions!!!!

Even temporary agency based jobs on minimum wage involve a declaration form about cautions and convictions. I should know because I was unfortunate to end up working in a dreay warehouse role on a zero hour contract for four weeks just after my conviction.

My previous comments on this thread weren't intended to ruffle any feathers. I just found it odd that Rayson, secured the sales job without the DUI coming

At the time I remember that every job that asked for spent/unspent convictions on the application form, I was never ever called for an interview. As many people who have found themselves in dire financial straits after losing their license, the self survival mode kicks in and you do what you have to do.Sadly, most employers still see a DD conviction as some social stigma and in most cases the person convicted made at the time a stupid error of judgement and thankfully in my case involved no one else.

Back in the mid 90s after my conviction I didn't tell anyone (apart from my parents) - not my friends, employers or anyone else. I went by train to the office.

Whereas nowadays I would tell my employers, at the time it never occurred to me to tell them, nor to tell later employers.

Still no one knows apart from the DVLA. Hopefully it's filtered from police records now (whilst remaining o the PNC presumably).

You do not put it on a cover letter or CV. There will be a section to fill out on an application form, if there is not then the appropriate time to disclose a conviction is at the end of an interview. This way if the hiring manager is impressed by you it will be a small footnote rather than an abrasive opener. Regardless of if driving is relevant to the job, it's an exercise of integrity.

You do not put it on a cover letter or CV. There will be a section to fill out on an application form, if there is not then the appropriate time to disclose a conviction is at the end of an interview. This way if the hiring manager is impressed by you it will be a small footnote rather than an abrasive opener. Regardless of if driving is relevant to the job, it's an exercise of integrity.
I agree. Why would you identify a conviction on a CV ? An earlier post indicated that HR would not be impressed if a conviction hadn’t been mentioned on a CV. Why ? I agree that failure to disclose if expressly asked , is both poor and inadvisable , but the very purpose of a CV is to present our highlights / skills/ aptitudes and what we can bring to the job. .

At the point of job offer (jobs where driving licence is not needed) it may be a time but I would provide a portfolio of 1) any character ref you had for court 2) perhaps an updated one from a key referee noting post court life & good character etc c) letter of remorse you gave to the bench
( If you didn’t do the above for court you could do it now )
You could give this to the prospective employer / interview panel or at point of job offer
- make sure it gets to the person offering job not HR

This will allow the prospective employer to judge your remorse, how you are usually of good character & they can use this to support offering you the job

I know working in public sector managers have to justify decisions to HR (often jobs worth’s ) so can help
DD - the conviction that keeps on giving ! But with planning, tenacity etc as with posts in this forum we survive !

From applying for various jobs myself in 2019/20, one of the hardest aspects is getting through the initial 'paper sift'.

If you submit a CV emblazened with your conviction(s), it isn't going to get you selected for the next stage of the recruitment process.

From my own specific experience of job hunting, alot of employers don't give a chuff about a DUI conviction.

The hardest aspect of applying for jobs is competing against other candidates. Most jobs now, with a decent salary are attracting 100s of applications.

The point I'm making is - you have to shine at the first stage of the recruitment process. Any reference to convictions will get your CV relegated to the confidential waste bin.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off