?Questions and answers of dr1v medical. ?

Convicted Driver Insurance
Just makes you wonder if dvla staff were to have a medical/lft test, once tarnished it's very hard to be accepted again.

Hi again, I've done a year's abstinence and reapplying for my license with my GPS back up and regular lfts, I have just received a medical form in the post which I completed last time at my medical, why have they sent it to me rather than when I attend my future medical? Any help would be great I'm worrying as this time the process has been far quicker yet different

Hi again, I've done a year's abstinence and reapplying for my license with my GPS back up and regular lfts, I have just received a medical form in the post which I completed last time at my medical, why have they sent it to me rather than when I attend my future medical? Any help would be great I'm worrying as this time the process has been far quicker yet different
What medical form is it? Is it a DD2 or a DR1?

If it's the DR1, then that's normal and you won't have filled out one of those at your last medical, or you shouldn't have. The DR1 is the standard Medical Questionnaire that you're asked to fill out if you're a HRO or if you have any alcohol misuse/dependency on record.

If it's a DD2, I've got no idea, as they are for medical professionals to fill out (or get you to fill out in their presence). I know some DVLA approved doctors surgery's get the applicant to fill out a DD2 in the waiting area, prior to the physical examination, however you shouldn't have been sent one in the post. Are there any instructions with what you're supposed to do with the DD2, after you've filled it out?

If it's the DR1, then that's normal and you won't have filled out one of those at your last medical, or you shouldn't have. The DR1 is the standard Medical Questionnaire that you're asked to fill out if you're a HRO or if you have any alcohol misuse/dependency on record.

If it's a DD2, I've got no idea, as they are for medical professionals to fill out (or get you to fill out in their presence). I know some DVLA approved doctors surgery's get the applicant to fill out a DD2 in the waiting area, prior to the physical examination, however you shouldn't have been sent one in the post. Are there any instructions with what you're supposed to do with the DD2, after you've filled it out?
I had a medical last year and had to do a dr1 during that my cdt was 0.05% yet I had to prove a years abstinence which I have. The form I filled in dr1 has now been sent to my home which I sent back today recorded delivery, I don't have a dd2 just a dr1 I'm just really fathomed as to why I got it at home and not during my medical as previous, last time I sent the d1 to apply took 5.5 week for the cheque to clear this time 10 days and dr1 13 days, I'm so happy it's being done so quickly just don't understand why I have been sent the dr1 x

I had a medical last year and had to do a dr1 during that my cdt was 0.05% yet I had to prove a years abstinence which I have. The form I filled in dr1 has now been sent to my home which I sent back today recorded delivery, I don't have a dd2 just a dr1 I'm just really fathomed as to why I got it at home and not during my medical as previous, last time I sent the d1 to apply took 5.5 week for the cheque to clear this time 10 days and dr1 13 days, I'm so happy it's being done so quickly just don't understand why I have been sent the dr1 x
Well I did my paperwork last year and did it the following way.

1. Sent my D1 to the DVLA
  2. The DVLA sent back a DR1 and a few other medical questionnaires (because I have other medical conditions, as well as being a recovering alcoholic).
  3. I filled out the DR1 and other forms and sent them back to the DVLA.
  4. The DVLA sent my GP a DD2 form.
  5. My GP sent the form back to the DVLA.
  6. I went for my Medical Examination (CDT blood test, etc) and the DVLA approved doctor filled out a DD2 (they asked me the questions and filled it out - some doctors will get the applicant to fill it out).
That is the process. Sometimes the DVLA will contact the GP after the Medical Examination, instead of before. Sometimes the DVLA don't bother to contact the GP at all (not very often though).

You should have only filled out one DR1, during each application/renewal process.

Are you sure that you filled out a DR1 at your last medical examination, and not a DD2? That makes no sense why they'd give you a DR1, as they don't get provided a DR1 with the medical examination pack. I've got no idea why you'd be asked to do one at that point, however that isn't the way it's done - not to my knowledge anyway.

Well I did my paperwork last year and did it the following way.

1. Sent my D1 to the DVLA
  2. The DVLA sent back a DR1 and a few other medical questionnaires (because I have other medical conditions, as well as being a recovering alcoholic).
  3. I filled out the DR1 and other forms and sent them back to the DVLA.
  4. The DVLA sent my GP a DD2 form.
  5. My GP sent the form back to the DVLA.
  6. I went for my Medical Examination (CDT blood test, etc) and the DVLA approved doctor filled out a DD2 (they asked me the questions and filled it out - some doctors will get the applicant to fill it out).
That is the process. Sometimes the DVLA will contact the GP after the Medical Examination, instead of before. Sometimes the DVLA don't bother to contact the GP at all (not very often though).

You should have only filled out one DR1, during each application/renewal process.
I have done the dr1 at home this time, last time was during my medical/blood test etc , I failed my gp questionnaire last time as after lockdown I drank too much and requested a lft to make sure I was OK that bit me in the ass being a hro

I'm completely lost as to why they'd be getting you to fill out a DR1 at that point, as the DVLA don't make a decision to send a person for a Medical Examination with a DVLA approved doctor until they've completed a DR1 Medical Questionnaire.

So, just to check, last year you were sent a letter from the DVLA, asking you to book your medical?
At this point you haven't filled out anything other than a D1 licence application.
You then go for your medical, fill out a DR1 and then get 0.5% CDT (can't be 0.05, you'd be dead I suspect) and are refused your licence. Is that correct?

I'm completely lost as to why they'd be getting you to fill out a DR1 at that point, as the DVLA don't make a decision to send a person for a Medical Examination with a DVLA approved doctor until they've completed a DR1 Medical Questionnaire.

So, just to check, last year you were sent a letter from the DVLA, asking you to book your medical?
At this point you haven't filled out anything other than a D1 licence application.
You then go for your medical, fill out a DR1 and then get 0.5% CDT (can't be 0.05, you'd be dead I suspect) and are refused your licence. Is that correct?
Yes that is correct, I was/am a hro my gp said I was dependent as I had gone for a lft after lockdown so was refused, I've started the process again and sent off a d1 to dvla and received a dr1 today

Regardless of how you answer the above, the way I stated in my previous post (before the one above) is the correct way, so you have nothing to be concerned about. You send the D1 with the DR1 together or you can send the D1 on its own (like I did) and then they send you a DR1 and any other medical questionnaires that you may be required to fill out. That is why I sent the D1 on it's own, because I knew they'd want to investigate my past seizures, diabetes and mental health conditions. It was easier for me to let the DVLA send me the correct forms, rather than guessing. For anyone else reading this comment, I do not suggest you do it that way, as you'll be waiting a lot longer (like I did, however time wasn't an issue for me) - my advice is to call the DVLA, tell them what your medical conditions are, at which point they'll tell you what forms you need to fill out. You can then download them online and print them off. That alone could save you 4 - 8 weeks (maybe even longer).

Then one of the following things will happen:
  1. The DVLA will send you a Medical Examination appointment letter.
  2. The DVLA will contact your GP (they will write to you to say they have written to your GP).
  3. They'll reject your licence application, stating that you must be abstinent for 12 months, or show controlled drinking for 6 months, before you can reapply for your driving licence.
After that, the following will happen (the following numbers co-ordinate with the above numbers):
  1. Once you've received the appointment letter, you'll need to wait 4 working days before you can book your Medical Examination appointment. This appointment must be booked and attended within 6 weeks from the date written on the letter (not the date in which the letter was received). Lately the DVLA have claimed they have sent out Medical Examination appointment letters, however said letters were never received. How can you know to book an appointment within 6 weeks if you never got the letter telling you to book said appointment? Yeah, I know, ridiculous! I'd strongly advise that you call the DVLA at least once a week for an update (make sure to tell them that you have a friend that is going through the same process and didn't get their letter - don't mention this forum). Don't leave it to chance is what I'm saying.
  2. The DVLA will send out a DD2 to your GP (it's similar to a DR1 really, it just has more boxes for the GP to fill in), you can see that here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/successful_appeals_to_the_courts/response/1476831/attach/7/FOIR8030 DD2 attachment.pdf - I'd suggest booking an appointment with your GP so that you can fill out the form together (you'll know what your GP has put and can stop them from making any stupid mistakes, like writing that you've had a drink within the last 12 months, etc). Your GP will send the DD2 back to the DVLA. At which point the DVLA will follow step '1' from my instructions above.
  3. Your DR1 indicates that you've consumed alcohol within the last 12 months, therefore the DVLA have rejected your licence application as you have been labelled as alcohol dependent. This isn't likely in your situation, however it is one of the possible outcomes, if you were to fill the DR1 in incorrectly. If this were the case, you'd be expected to do exactly what you have done for the past year (I've read through your old posts and have noticed that I spoke with you last year also).
That is how the process should go. Like I've said previously, I don't know why you were made to fill out your DR1 whilst at the Medical Examination appointment. I don't even know how that is possible.

I hope this helps.

Edit/Additional: I should add that numbers '3' are specific to you. For others the DVLA may have labelled the applicant as being an alcohol misuser and not someone that is, or has been, alcohol dependent. If someone were labelled as an alcohol misuser, they'd be asked to show a minimum of 6 months controlled drinking. I would strongly suggest that if this were the case, that person should abstain from drinking alcohol for at least 6 months, instead of showing controlled drinking for 6 months. This is because the DVLA have rejected driving licence applications to people that have shown controlled drinking when labelled as an alcohol misuser, and not alcohol dependent.

Last edited:
Regardless of how you answer the above, the way I stated in my previous post (before the one above) is the correct way, so you have nothing to be concerned about. You send the D1 with the DR1 together or you can send the D1 on its own (like I did) and then they send you a DR1 and any other medical questionnaires that you may be required to fill out. That is why I sent the D1 on it's own, because I knew they'd want to investigate my past seizures, diabetes and mental health conditions. It was easier for me to let the DVLA send me the correct forms, rather than guessing. For anyone else reading this comment, I do not suggest you do it that way, as you'll be waiting a lot longer (like I did, however time wasn't an issue for me) - my advice is to call the DVLA, tell them what your medical conditions are, at which point they'll tell you what forms you need to fill out. You can then download them online and print them off. That alone could save you 4 - 8 weeks (maybe even longer).

Then one of the following things will happen:
  1. The DVLA will send you a Medical Examination appointment letter.
  2. The DVLA will contact your GP (they will write to you to say they have written to your GP).
  3. They'll reject your licence application, stating that you must be abstinent for 12 months, or show controlled drinking for 6 months, before you can reapply for your driving licence.
After that, the following will happen (the following numbers co-ordinate with the above numbers):
  1. Once you've received the appointment letter, you'll need to wait 4 working days before you can book your Medical Examination appointment. This appointment must be booked and attended within 6 weeks from the date written on the letter (not the date in which the letter was received). Lately the DVLA have claimed they have sent out Medical Examination appointment letters, however said letters were never received. How can you know to book an appointment within 6 weeks if you never got the letter telling you to book said appointment? Yeah, I know, ridiculous! I'd strongly advise that you call the DVLA at least once a week for an update (make sure to tell them that you have a friend that is going through the same process and didn't get their letter - don't mention this forum). Don't leave it to chance is what I'm saying.
  2. The DVLA will send out a DD2 to your GP (it's similar to a DR1 really, it just has more boxes for the GP to fill in), you can see that here: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/successful_appeals_to_the_courts/response/1476831/attach/7/FOIR8030 DD2 attachment.pdf - I'd suggest booking an appointment with your GP so that you can fill out the form together (you'll know what your GP has put and can stop them from making any stupid mistakes, like writing that you've had a drink within the last 12 months, etc). Your GP will send the DD2 back to the DVLA. At which point the DVLA will follow step '1' from my instructions above.
  3. Your DR1 indicates that you've consumed alcohol within the last 12 months, therefore the DVLA have rejected your licence application as you have been labelled as alcohol dependent. This isn't likely in your situation, however it is one of the possible outcomes, if you were to fill the DR1 in incorrectly. If this were the case, you'd be expected to do exactly what you have done for the past year (I've read through your old posts and have noticed that I spoke with you last year also).
That is how the process should go. Like I've said previously, I don't know why you were made to fill out your DR1 whilst at the Medical Examination appointment. I don't even know how that is possible.

I hope this helps.
Thank you so much for this, yes I had to do it at my medical last time so was highly confused this time, thank u for all the info this really does help, I have been sober since april 5th and due license back in the foreseeable I'm hoping I have met all the criteria this time as ive worked so hard ❤️

I don't know why you were made to fill out your DR1 whilst at the Medical Examination appointment. I don't even know how that is possible.

Hi Xero,

I've just gone through my SAR info I was sent in Feb 2024 and I can also see that I was required to fill out a DR1 form out at my DVLA Medical when I had my first medical in 2021. I sent my D1 off, and was sent a letter to book the medical which I was then presented with the DR1 form before I had my CDT taken etc.

Hi Xero,

I've just gone through my SAR info I was sent in Feb 2024 and I can also see that I was required to fill out a DR1 form out at my DVLA Medical when I had my first medical in 2021. I sent my D1 off, and was sent a letter to book the medical which I was then presented with the DR1 form before I had my CDT taken etc.
Yes this is exactly what happened to me but this time they sent it to my home prior to my medical

Hi Xero,

Yes this is exactly what happened to me but this time they sent it to my home prior to my medical
Well, I didn't know that. That never happened for me and I wasn't aware it happened for anyone else either. That's what I love about this forum, you can keep learning new things each and every day.

Thanks for providing that information.

That really sucks. If @leajai had done it the way I thought was the same procedure for everyone, they wouldn't have had to pay for their first medical, only to be told they had been rejected. The DVLA would have rejected their application as soon as they'd been honest on the DR1, weeks, maybe months before even booking their medical. I'm assuming you (@leajai) had to pay for your medical examination and CDT blood test, and you didn't get the money refunded?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off