Questions About CDT Test Abstinence Period

Convicted Driver Insurance

AC_101

Hello all,

I will be taking a CDT test, (on the date of my choosing) in order to get an interlock device removed from my car (Canadian here, not that it matters).

I have heard so many different things about the number of days required to lower CDT levels. For context, I am a 110 pound female. I have been drinking 3 or 4 tall cans of 5% beer daily for years now ( 473 mL each).

I have 2 concerns, the first is that I would like my test date to be booked for approximately 9 weeks sober, as this gives enough time for the letter to be processed. Should I play it safe at my level of drinking and wait 12 weeks? Does 12 weeks guarantee that I will pass? I don't want to mess this up but I am on a time crunch for the removal.

My second concern is that I had one pint a few days into my 'sobriety'. (I was going to limit my intake but decided that was dumb and to just quit all together). Will that one drink raise my CDT levels to their original level? Increase it? Or will my level of CDT just lower to that of a person who has one drink in a month? Can I have a glass of wine on my anniversary or will that completely set me back?

Obviously I am taking this very seriously but I want to limit my drinking to something sustainable and healthy instead of teetotal if possible. There don't seem to be any answers about these kinds of details.

If I don't get any responses, my plan is to just do the 12 weeks starting the day after my last drink and put off the interlock removal, but I may be overthinking things.

Just go for the 12 weeks,9 weeks by reading a lot of posts on here is probably fine,but why risk it for 3 extra weeks?
Good luck!

Thanks for the well wishes, my reason for risking it would be I have no clue how long it would take to find a walk in clinic to do the medical paper work (no family doctor in this province), how long it would take to book a blood test, how long for results, then to send and receive the results from the DMV (due to covid). All needs to happen before December 24 in order to remove the device and avoid hundreds of dollars in excess fees. And depending on the effects of my one pint, I could be set back even further (4 days). I am just terrified of screwing this up and would love more concise answers.

Thanks for the well wishes, my reason for risking it would be I have no clue how long it would take to find a walk in clinic to do the medical paper work (no family doctor in this province), how long it would take to book a blood test, how long for results, then to send and receive the results from the DMV (due to covid). All needs to happen before December 24 in order to remove the device and avoid hundreds of dollars in excess fees. And depending on the effects of my one pint, I could be set back even further (4 days). I am just terrified of screwing this up and would love more concise answers.
Are you now in the UK? As I'm guessing UK and Canadian levels may differ..

It seems to be the rule of thumb is that if you are a moderate drinker then I the UK 6 weeks is sufficient, however there are so many variables that for the extra time sober,it will be worth it to have your licence back

Everyone is different, and I can only tell you my experience... but I got a CDT of 0.7% after 23 days of sobriety, and the same after 108 days! I think 3 weeks is enough, so nine is absolutely safe!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off