Proof of abstinence for 1 year

Convicted Driver Insurance

PTGUY81

Hi I'm looking for any advice, I'm HRO I had a ban in 2019 it was my 2nd ban within 10 year period, the first being 2013, very stupid of me I know, this last one was a 50month ban which was due up on the 28th of this month. Had the medical filled out the form an said I hadn't drunk for 13 months near 14 now. My CDT was 0.7% the DVLA wrote to me saying they would be speaking to the GP. Had the letter yesterday morning to say to prove abstinence for 1 year because of alcohol dependence. Having spoken to my GP earlier today he said that my file shows maybe alcohol misuse but not dependence, so I have asked him for a supporting letter stating this as I am not dependent on drink like it was said. I tried ringing and ringing for hours yesterday and today and still can't get through to the medical department at DVLA which seems like I am not getting information on what is best to do. Does this mean I lose my licence altogether and have to reapply for a provisional and resit. Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance

Hi I'm looking for any advice, I'm HRO I had a ban in 2019 it was my 2nd ban within 10 year period, the first being 2013, very stupid of me I know, this last one was a 50month ban which was due up on the 28th of this month. Had the medical filled out the form an said I hadn't drunk for 13 months near 14 now. My CDT was 0.7% the DVLA wrote to me saying they would be speaking to the GP. Had the letter yesterday morning to say to prove abstinence for 1 year because of alcohol dependence. Having spoken to my GP earlier today he said that my file shows maybe alcohol misuse but not dependence, so I have asked him for a supporting letter stating this as I am not dependent on drink like it was said. I tried ringing and ringing for hours yesterday and today and still can't get through to the medical department at DVLA which seems like I am not getting information on what is best to do. Does this mean I lose my licence altogether and have to reapply for a provisional and resit. Any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance
Welcome to the forum you will find us a friendly lot. Okay when they wrote to your GP he would have been sent forms to fill out have you asked if he ticked dependency or misuse on there. He could only go by what is in your medical records did you ask him to note 12 months ago the last time you consumed any alcohol.

Welcome to the forum you will find us a friendly lot. Okay when they wrote to your GP he would have been sent forms to fill out have you asked if he ticked dependency or misuse on there. He could only go by what is in your medical records did you ask him to note 12 months ago the last time you consumed any alcohol.
Hi thanks for your reply, he didn't really say what box he ticked neither did I know to ask about that, I mentioned to him about them looking into 6 year's and more and he said they wanted to know alcohol history for year. He did note down that he said I had told him when I last drunk which was over a year (13 months) but he said there was something in my file from new years just gone where I had slipped down my front steps and fractured my elbow, my partner couldn't take me to the hospital has she had a drink, so I waited a few days before getting it seen to, once at the hospital my partner had said she had a drink and that's why we couldn't come then. But he said the doctor had wrote I fell intoxicated which was not true and he also noted that I said in the first response to them, I'm still within the 21 days to submit further to them which I intend to about that and what they have said about me being dependent when even my own doc has said I might have misused at some point for a short period but not dependent which the 0.7% showed I was hoping that I ain't flat out on the booze. I'm just so confused with it all and don't know where I stand, the doc said that maybe them thinking I was intoxicated new years eve added to it, but he said even if that was the case it was still only misuse and not dependent

Hi thanks for your reply, he didn't really say what box he ticked neither did I know to ask about that, I mentioned to him about them looking into 6 year's and more and he said they wanted to know alcohol history for year. He did note down that he said I had told him when I last drunk which was over a year (13 months) but he said there was something in my file from new years just gone where I had slipped down my front steps and fractured my elbow, my partner couldn't take me to the hospital has she had a drink, so I waited a few days before getting it seen to, once at the hospital my partner had said she had a drink and that's why we couldn't come then. But he said the doctor had wrote I fell intoxicated which was not true and he also noted that I said in the first response to them, I'm still within the 21 days to submit further to them which I intend to about that and what they have said about me being dependent when even my own doc has said I might have misused at some point for a short period but not dependent which the 0.7% showed I was hoping that I ain't flat out on the booze. I'm just so confused with it all and don't know where I stand, the doc said that maybe them thinking I was intoxicated new years eve added to it, but he said even if that was the case it was still only misuse and not dependent

That will have been the red flag the new year episode. Dvla will require you to show 12 months proof abstaining from alcohol get the Gp to document the date asap the last time you consumed alcohol. I would also ask to have 3 monthly blood tests done for GGTs this will help massively and the dvla accept this as proof come the time to reapply,

That will have been the red flag the new year episode. Dvla will require you to show 12 months proof abstaining from alcohol get the Gp to document the date asap the last time you consumed alcohol. I would also ask to have 3 monthly blood tests done for GGTs this will help massively and the dvla accept this as proof come the time to reapply,
Thanks for your reply, I've literally just had a phone call back off the medical department, I've told them I'm submitting further evidence that will show I'm not dependent and maybe misuse in a short time which the doctor have backed up, I also told them of my daughter's mobility and health issues, she had 3 open heart surgies since birth, one whilst banned, she is severely scoliosis and is due spinal surgery then followed by a full hip replacement, the burden I put on my family is massive, the appointments to and from singleton, Morriston, Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham and now likely London also has been a nightmare and the work I lost also, she told me to submit all this with medical evidence, but I know probably won't make alot of difference, I'm just hoping that with my doctor saying he is fit to drive and not dependent, maybe alcohol misuse they can change or rectify that from dependent. I also stated that I have an LFT booked for the 4th of April and my cut off date is the 7th, so if I brought my stuff in on the 5th it would be there for them to view that LFT also, which I know will be ok because I truly haven't touched a single drop and ain't going to. To say it's been a real shit time and deffo had more than enough to reflect. Thanks for your advice really glad I seen this forum

Thanks for your reply, I've literally just had a phone call back off the medical department, I've told them I'm submitting further evidence that will show I'm not dependent and maybe misuse in a short time which the doctor have backed up, I also told them of my daughter's mobility and health issues, she had 3 open heart surgies since birth, one whilst banned, she is severely scoliosis and is due spinal surgery then followed by a full hip replacement, the burden I put on my family is massive, the appointments to and from singleton, Morriston, Cardiff, Bristol and Birmingham and now likely London also has been a nightmare and the work I lost also, she told me to submit all this with medical evidence, but I know probably won't make alot of difference, I'm just hoping that with my doctor saying he is fit to drive and not dependent, maybe alcohol misuse they can change or rectify that from dependent. I also stated that I have an LFT booked for the 4th of April and my cut off date is the 7th, so if I brought my stuff in on the 5th it would be there for them to view that LFT also, which I know will be ok because I truly haven't touched a single drop and ain't going to. To say it's been a real shit time and deffo had more than enough to reflect. Thanks for your advice really glad I seen this forum
By all means appeal and send any evidence to back this up and having your Gp onside makes a huge difference. Sorry to hear about your daughter this would not make any difference in the eyes of the dvla they have a protocol to follow and its the same for everyone. What date did you put on the D1 form the last time you consumed alcohol.

By all means appeal and send any evidence to back this up and having your Gp onside makes a huge difference. Sorry to hear about your daughter this would not make any difference in the eyes of the dvla they have a protocol to follow and its the same for everyone. What date did you put on the D1 form the last time you consumed alcohol.
Thank you, she's had a right tough time, that's basically how I had the ban I just wasn't coping and just was made redundant and started drinking not heavy just binging so stupidly got in the car day after and bam. I told the doctor it was Jan 22 which would make it 13 months, but he said the new years thing which they thought I was intoxicated must have not helped, but even he said even that would suggest misuse not dependent drinking and he's going to write that for me, I have to collect the letter this Friday, and I'll write all everything down and get letters etc together over the weekend and then wait for my Lft on the 4th then take it over after that. I'm just hoping they can see that it's misuse and not dependent, I totally understand and most definitely had more than enough a horrible time to reflect and regret what I've done and will definitely not be ever be put in that situation in my life again. Thanks for your advice though, I'll deffo keep you posted to say what they come back with, I'm expecting the year either way, but I would have done the cdt with them which was Feb 17th and then this LFT on 4th April and I'll just carry it on all th way to November and more so I have no issues in provin it at all because I am definitely not doing that again, I just hope they can see and do give my licence back if and when 👍👍

Thank you, she's had a right tough time, that's basically how I had the ban I just wasn't coping and just was made redundant and started drinking not heavy just binging so stupidly got in the car day after and bam. I told the doctor it was Jan 22 which would make it 13 months, but he said the new years thing which they thought I was intoxicated must have not helped, but even he said even that would suggest misuse not dependent drinking and he's going to write that for me, I have to collect the letter this Friday, and I'll write all everything down and get letters etc together over the weekend and then wait for my Lft on the 4th then take it over after that. I'm just hoping they can see that it's misuse and not dependent, I totally understand and most definitely had more than enough a horrible time to reflect and regret what I've done and will definitely not be ever be put in that situation in my life again. Thanks for your advice though, I'll deffo keep you posted to say what they come back with, I'm expecting the year either way, but I would have done the cdt with them which was Feb 17th and then this LFT on 4th April and I'll just carry it on all th way to November and more so I have no issues in provin it at all because I am definitely not doing that again, I just hope they can see and do give my licence back if and when 👍👍
Best of luck!! Keep fighting!!

I just can’t understand why did they say that (doctors) you were intoxicated when you fractured your wrist?? Otherwise you would not need a 12 month absence?

I just can’t understand why did they say that (doctors) you were intoxicated when you fractured your wrist?? Otherwise you would not need a 12 month absence?
It was A&E out of hours to see about my elbow I fractured it, but when the doc asked had you been drinking my partner turned and said she had and that's why we didn't come over on new year's eve, so I assume they have thought I was intoxicated from that, which I fully intend to dispute it 👍

It was A&E out of hours to see about my elbow I fractured it, but when the doc asked had you been drinking my partner turned and said she had and that's why we didn't come over on new year's eve, so I assume they have thought I was intoxicated from that, which I fully intend to dispute it 👍
Bloody hell!! It’s ridiculous!! Now you are going through hell as one useless person writing something that is not actually correct!! I really do feel for you!!!! Looks like there is not much you can do??

Bloody hell!! It’s ridiculous!! Now you are going through hell as one useless person writing something that is not actually correct!! I really do feel for you!!!! Looks like there is not much you can do??
Yeh I feel the same myself, my doctor is going to write a letter to say I'm not alcohol dependent, and I've not drunk for 13 month's, but then if they believe I did new years eve which I feel they probably will, then I'll just have to accept it and keep proving with LFTs and doctors letters to show I am not. My CDT was 0.7% so I'm doing an LFT on the 4th so I can also send that also. Who knows, I will most definitely keep you posted and keep following for more advice. Thank you 👍👍

That will have been the red flag the new year episode. Dvla will require you to show 12 months proof abstaining from alcohol get the Gp to document the date asap the last time you consumed alcohol. I would also ask to have 3 monthly blood tests done for GGTs this will help massively and the dvla accept this as proof come the time to reapply
For those left wondering GGT, this then is the enzyme in the liver which is likely to be raised due to alcohol misuse/dependence and the one doctors use to detect alcohol abuse ….

For those left wondering GGT, this then is the enzyme in the liver which is likely to be raised due to alcohol misuse/dependence and the one doctors use to detect alcohol abuse ….
Thank you 👍

Yeh I feel the same myself, my doctor is going to write a letter to say I'm not alcohol dependent, and I've not drunk for 13 month's, but then if they believe I did new years eve which I feel they probably will, then I'll just have to accept it and keep proving with LFTs and doctors letters to show I am not. My CDT was 0.7% so I'm doing an LFT on the 4th so I can also send that also. Who knows, I will most definitely keep you posted and keep following for more advice. Thank you 👍👍
I really wish you could prove your right but unfortunately they are only see black and white! They harsh on people but if there is any chance that you could change their decision do everything you can! The fact is your Gp is on your side is a massive positive factor! Let us know how it goes please!! GOOD LUCK 🤞 🤞🤞🤞

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off