Process of trying to get my license back.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Silvy1877

I was banned January 2019 for 27 months but was reduced to 20 with ddrs. I have sent off my license application a bit early as I'm unbanned on 28/09. I have no clue what's happening with medicals and I need to know what my own doctor can disclose as I've had a couple of issues with drink and drugs in the past but none since my crash/ban. Also what needs to be declared regarding mental health. I am not that big a drinker anymore and dont consider this an issue but worried what will come from doctors records and dvla. Any help is appreciated

Silvy1877

I and many others on this forum have done research after research,
1. Medical has to be a good result (standard)
2. Your Doctors history/report is more likely to be requested by dvla, 90%
3. Be strong ride the storm.
Sorry I know I'm being straight to the point but it really is the way it is and your not on your own buddy.

I am in the same place trying to get every bit of information so I am prepared but worried due to have issues with alcohol a couple years ago that I may have to prove no drink for a year yet I dont really drink all that often now and is no longer an issue. Feel like needing to jump through hoops after serving my ban

In same position pal, the dvla ask doctor for history up to 6 years now and my blip was 4 years ago, got my medical in 3 weeks so it's a matter of jumping in the deep end then eventually coming out the shallow regardless of 1, 2 ,or 3 year licence.

When did you send your application and how quick did they reply about medical as I am currently waiting on that part?

Sent application back in early March got reply 3 weeks later booked medical then it got cancelled due to covid19, complained pretty much every week and now I'm booked up 2 hours away tho.

Wonder how long I will need to wait as only sent application a month ago. Am I best to chase them do you think or wait?

Chase them 100%, you will find them hard work and feel like giving up but keep at it, they will say your not forgotten, were reduced staff, medicals are not taking place, oh and the (we will contact you) classic one that.

Chased them up and got the usual response. Not even been processed as no staff. I have no clue how to get this moved forward as I am needing my license back in september for work.

- I am trying to find out what happens after you send back DG1 form, if you are being prescribed diazepam and oramorph (albeit low dose and only short term for stomach ulcer pain tratment). Will this definitely trigger the need for a medical? And does the medical involve blood test and urine sample? TIA ne1...

Silvy1877

You have done well to be eligible for you licence back on the 28th August. I got banned for 28 months on the 27th February 2019 (the month after your own ban started). I did the TCC reduction course a few months later and I got my ban reduced by 21 months with my new key date set around the 13th December 2020 (it was originally the 27th June 2021).

I have an abismal history of alcohol misuse/dependency going back a few years but I have now been dry for 11 months. I have made sure I have had my sobriety documented with the GP with two liver function tests (both excellent results) under my belt and a third one planned for next month.

It's fair to say none of us can turn the clock back and erase any embarrassing history of alcohol abuse and I do think the DVLA accepts this - but they insist on a minimum of 12 months sobriety before they will allow a HRO on the road again.

The biggest problem all banned drivers are facing at this time is of course Covid 19 which has resulted in the DVLA putting a freeze on HRO medicals. What has happened is that HRO driver's coming to the end of their bans since lockdown started in March have had to endure extra time off the road because they cannot do their medicals.

There seems to be a big question mark over the professional integrity of the DVLA at this time. Many of the forum members on here have been told one thing by DVLA employees while medical staff who conduct the medicals are saying something else.

To the best of my knowledge, the DVLA is still not working at full capacity and their workplace restrictions are governed by the Wales lockdown rules which of course differ slightly from the UK.

Up to date, the only HRO drivers getting a medical are 'key workers' and this is only frontline medical staff, such as NHS nurses. I do believe a few people on this forum have had medicals granted but they have had to fight tooth & nail with the DVLA to get approval.

I am hoping that this situation starts to ease off in coming weeks - my own medical is due around late September/October and I am now saying a silent prayer every day that this whole sorry fiasco will be resolved by then. I cannot afford to start 2021 without my licence - the implications of not getting back behind the wheel by then don't bare thinking about for me.

I do hope you get your own licence back ASAP. If anything this terrible situation will reinforce to every single one of us on this site that we will never ever put ourselves in this situation again.

Good luck.

CJ

As I work within gas and electricity and am still working do you think I would be able to argue my case I am a key worker and need my HRO medical?

As I work within gas and electricity and am still working do you think I would be able to argue my case I am a key worker and need my HRO medical?

Silvy

I honestly don't know the answer to this question. The term 'key worker' as far as the DVLA is concerned is purely medical people associated with the NHS. Key worker is a rather broad phrase and can include many different occupations - even shop workers who sell food and essential items are key workers in my opinion!!!

There is a long running forum thread called 'Coronavirus for HROs' - I'd suggest making contact with the forum members who have been lucky enough to get a medical who have commented on the thread.

The conversations on that thread suggest many HROs have raised complaints about their licences being imperative for their jobs and they have subsequently been granted medicals.

Good luck with your case & all the best.

CJ

Complaint raised, usual excuse of not enough staff on site and backlog of applications etc. They received my application on 22nd may which I feel isnt good enough at all.

Finally received a letter to set a medical. I have still been drinking but only at weekends but that's both days and quite a lot of units etc. What's the best time frame to not drink for to get the best result?

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off