Probably a sill question re alcohol free beers

Convicted Driver Insurance

Grantyone

Well Known Member
Evening folks,

My ban expires on the 31st of this month. I am HRO so will need to go for the medical etc.. I am waiting on word from the DVLA with regards the next steps for this.

I have had three cans of lager in the last six weeks, and I presume by the time I have my medical, it'll be a further 4 - 6 weeks.

That leads me to my question which is probably silly - but are alcohol free beers a no-no as well? I had four today.. Becks Blue to be precise. I do see they have 0.05% ABV which is legally classed as alcohol free. Are they even not worth the risk?

Thanks in advance.

HI I asked the same question a little while back and was assured they are fine. I am now enjoying de-alcoholised fizzy wine and wondering about that if anyone is able to answer. It is Nosecco which is lovely!

HI I asked the same question a little while back and was assured they are fine. I am now enjoying de-alcoholised fizzy wine and wondering about that if anyone is able to answer. It is Nosecco which is lovely!

that’s reassuring then if you were told they are fine. I do know it says alcohol free, but actually, there is 0.05%. I know this amount of alcohol is so small that it shouldn’t even touch the sides, but I just wanted reassurances.

On that note, if alcohol free beers are fine then surely de-alcoholised wine is also fine?

The usual practice with non-alcoholic beers is that they are made with full alcohol content, but then the beer is boiled to burn out the alcohol.

As another forum member has said - many non alcoholic beers still have a very small trace of alcohol content. I believe Becks Blue is 0.05%.

The danger is with non-alcoholic beer is when you are abstaining from alcohol for whatever reason - it could be because of serious alcohol problems or simply if you have a HRO medical coming up, there is always a danger of relapsing if you drink non-alcoholic beer.

I personally stay clear of them. For me the taste isn't always great & the effects of non-alcoholic beer is like eating a Sunday dinner without the gravy & stuffing. You can still saviour the enjoyment of the beer, but to me the alcohol compliments the taste.

CJ

The usual practice with non-alcoholic beers is that they are made with full alcohol content, but then the beer is boiled to burn out the alcohol.

As another forum member has said - many non alcoholic beers still have a very small trace of alcohol content. I believe Becks Blue is 0.05%.

The danger is with non-alcoholic beer is when you are abstaining from alcohol for whatever reason - it could be because of serious alcohol problems or simply if you have a HRO medical coming up, there is always a danger of relapsing if you drink non-alcoholic beer.

I personally stay clear of them. For me the taste isn't always great & the effects of non-alcoholic beer is like eating a Sunday dinner without the gravy & stuffing. You can still saviour the enjoyment of the beer, but to me the alcohol compliments the taste.

CJ

thank you very much for the message. It is worth pointing out that I am in no way alcohol dependent, I was at a friends yesterday and he offered me an alcohol free beer. I ended up having 4. They were OK, but as you say, not the real thing.

I have organised a private test with medichecks. Hoping to receive their kit this week, then I’ll be booking an appoint at the local Superdrug.

So, at 0.05% alcohol, is this enough to raise or effect CDT levels? I think in a nutshell, that is my question.

thank you very much for the message. It is worth pointing out that I am in no way alcohol dependent, I was at a friends yesterday and he offered me an alcohol free beer. I ended up having 4. They were OK, but as you say, not the real thing.

I have organised a private test with medichecks. Hoping to receive their kit this week, then I’ll be booking an appoint at the local Superdrug.

So, at 0.05% alcohol, is this enough to raise or effect CDT levels? I think in a nutshell, that is my question.

I would say very unlikely. If you look at a pint of Fosters lager which is 4.0% and Becks Blue at 0.5%, you would need to drink 8 x pints of Becks Blue to reach the same alcohol levels and even that is doubtful because your body is constantly working to break down the alcohol content within 20 minutes of you consume your first few mouthfuls.

My point is - 8 x pints would take a good few hours to consume if you had a binge of Becks Blue, unlike consuming 1 x pint of Fosters that may take you twenty minutes to polish off. The human body takes 1 x hour to break down 1 x unit, so in theory because the alcohol level is so small in Becks Blue, you are never going to get anywhere near a drink driving limit.

CJ

Last edited:
I would say very unlikely. If you look at a pint of Fosters lager which is 4.0% and Becks Blue at 0.5%, you would need to drink 8 x pints of Becks Blue to reach the same alcohol levels and even that is doubtful because your body is constantly working to break down the alcohol content as soon as you consume your first few mouthfuls.

My point is 8 x pints would take a good few hours to consume if you had a binge of Becks Blue unlike consuming 1 x pint of Fosters that may take you twenty minutes to polish off. The human body takes 1 x hour to break down 1 x unit, so in theory because the alcohol level is so small in Becks Blue, the human body is breaking it down at a steady pace.

CJ

Yeah, the Becks blue isn't even a pint either. It's a 275ml.

So realistically, the occasional bottle of alcoholic free beer isn't going to have any impact on CDT levels at all. That's reassuring to know.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off