Previous dependency

Convicted Driver Insurance

chrism2800

Established Member
  • Screenshot_20200614-085825_Chrome.jpgCan anyone help define this,as do you have to be alcohol free for a year before applying for return of your licence,or just no issues for the previous year and are now abstaining from Alcohol....ie. say you put down on your medical you had a couple of pints of lager last September or similar?Would dvla insist on 12 months abstinence before granting your return of licence,albeit a short one?

Unfortunately once you are classed as dependant, you must go a full year without alcohol. So in your example above, the two pints of lager would mean you would have to go alcohol free until this September at the earliest. It’s harsh, overly cautious and unenforceable in my opinion. You just need to log a ‘last drink’ date with your gp, and stick to that. Even if you have a couple of pints now and again, just don’t mention it.
Of course if there is a serious alcohol problem I’m not suggesting to carry on drinking. But there are many people (me included) who boozed hard at a certain time in their life (for a variety of reasons) and dont any longer, but we’re classed as dependant.

Chris

I have commented on other threads about this. Unfortunately, the DVLA is absolutely black & white with no grey areas about alcohol. If you fall into either alcohol dependency or alcohol misuse you cannot declare any element of consumption.

I lost my licence last year after struggling with alcohol as a result of certain things in my personal life. I have now been dry for ten months with a view to finally getting my licence back in December 2020.

Because I am a convicted HRO and I have been identified as alcohol dependant I now have to run the gauntlet of doing annual medicals until the end of 2026. This is because, the DVLA can continue with the temporary licence proceedings for up to 6 years. This means I potentially will have to attend a medical every year for six years & every time I will have to say no to alcohol consumption.

Therefore, for the next six and a half years I cannot (or shouldn't drink alcohol). At the moment, I don't intend to drink alcohol but who's to say I may not pick a drink up in a year or two from now. I honestly don't know myself & I cannot say never - no one can!!!

I do think it us a very tall order for the DVLA to technically enforce complete sobriety for six years. However, the point I am making is never disclose any alcohol consumption on any DVLA forms. Even if you said you had one unit of alcohol which was a shot of rum to assist with a cold, they will revoke your licence or refuse it.

I hope what I have said does reinforce the message - always think zero units where the DVLA is concerned.

CJ

CJ1980 is right about the DVLA stance on drinking once you are ‘in the system’.
The only caution is that it is risky saying “No alcohol whatsoever” on the medical form, if the CDT result then indicates alcohol has been consumed. It will make it certain that they will keep you on temporary licences for as long as possible, or if you have been classed as dependent then they will refuse to issue you with one. A drink or two, here or there, will perhaps make no difference to the CDT result but having binges and then claiming to be teetotal will cause a lot of problems.

Chrism2800, that is a very good question,

I'm booked for my medical in 3 weeks time and it will work out I have not had a beer for 5 weeks,

with regards to medical do I say I've had a beer over 5 weeks ago or answer no to all questions,

I've no history of alcohol abuse and not seen my doctor for nearly 4 years now.

Chrism2800, that is a very good question,

I'm booked for my medical in 3 weeks time and it will work out I have not had a beer for 5 weeks,

with regards to medical do I say I've had a beer over 5 weeks ago or answer no to all questions,

I've no history of alcohol abuse and not seen my doctor for nearly 4 years now.
If you have no history with your gp about alcohol problems and I would advise that you check unless you are certain then you should be ok saying you drank about 5 weeks ago,a couple of beers perhaps,if you are uncertain then say you haven'tdrank at all for a year,but it depends on how much you were drinking, if it was a lot then your CDT levels may be higher than the 1% so be careful what you disclose

Hi mate I was drinking around 5 cans of fosters every other day, working in construction is quite awarding so it was nice to chill with a few beers of an evening.

Getinowhere

You might be surprised to find your CDT readings will probably be under.

Fosters is a relatively moderate lager to drink. Isn't the alcohol volume 4%?

When my own drinking was at its worst, Fosters for me was like drinking dish water. I generally went for Polish beers because they had more of a kick to them.

I'd say if you've already done five weeks of sobriety you should be okay.

Good luck.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off