Possibly stupid question about names

Convicted Driver Insurance

SoStupid

Hi all.

I was arrested a few weeks ago for drink driving and am due in court in December.

When I was arrested I gave the police the name I’m known by at work (my maiden name). However, my license is in my married name.
Is it possible for me to change my surname now for when I appear at court? Does the name matter?

Thanks.

Hi all.

I was arrested a few weeks ago for drink driving and am due in court in December.

When I was arrested I gave the police the name I’m known by at work (my maiden name). However, my license is in my married name.
Is it possible for me to change my surname now for when I appear at court? Does the name matter?

Thanks.
your name matters greatly as it has to match the name on your licence and insurance etc . They could view it as some one else driving the car or attempting to pervert the course of justice by giving a false name .

You could say you panicked or were intoxicated so it was a mistake .

Hi all.

Thanks.
Have you been arrested for anything before??

No, never been arrested before.

The name on my license is married surname, but name on my insurance is maiden surname!
I haven’t been trying to get out of anything by giving my maiden name - I’d forgotten my license is in married name. (I’m separated, but still have some things in my married name).
Should I just tell my solicitor and see if they can change the name with the court?

The name on my license is married surname, but name on my insurance is maiden surname!
I haven’t been trying to get out of anything by giving my maiden name - I’d forgotten my license is in married name. (I’m separated, but still have some things in my married name).
Should I just tell my solicitor and see if they can change the name with the

Should I just tell my solicitor and see if they can change the name with the court?
Your car insurance name has to match the licence name . I’d check with your insurance and the dvla as I’m pretty sure you insurance will be void and also you could be fined by the dvla for not changing your name on your licence to match the insurance.
Sorry but you did ask .

Have a read ..

Oh bugger.
I’m having to pay myself for all the damage anyway, so nothing is being claimed through my insurance but obviously the dvla fine is a concern.
Thanks for answering, even if it wasn’t what I was wanting to hear!

Oh bugger.
I’m having to pay myself for all the damage anyway, so nothing is being claimed through my insurance but obviously the dvla fine is a concern.
Thanks for answering, even if it wasn’t what I was wanting to hear!
You have a marriage certificate that proved you are the same person so try that . However you know what insurance companies are like when it comes to claims etc .
Hope you get it sorted and they realise you were in shock etc when you gave the wrong name to the police .

You have a marriage certificate that proved you are the same person so try that . However you know what insurance companies are like when it comes to claims etc .
Hope you get it sorted and they realise you were in shock etc when you gave the wrong name to the police .

Thank you!
I’m hoping they’ll see that I wasn’t try to do anything fraudulent or anything like that - I was just procrastinating when it came to sorting paperwork out.

If you have never been in trouble with the police before, then you will now be in their system officially under your maiden name. If you contact the police now and tell them you have a different name then you will be on the system with an ‘alias’ name as well, which makes you look dodgy!
If you have certainly reverted to your maiden name and this is permanent (of course there may be another marriage, don’t give up!) then it would be best to run with your maiden name and set about changing your details with DVLA and informing your insurance company.
You cannot do this online, you need to get a D1 from the post office and submit it, but you need to send supporting documentation of the name change. When you get married, it is easy, you just sent a copy of the marriage certificate, but as your divorce is not yet complete you will not have any divorce confirmation.
You can read about the Change of name procedure here:

You could use the second option and do the change of name yourself but get it witnessed by a solicitor or commissioner for oaths.

When you go to court you just say that your driving licence is with DVLA for the name change because of your impending divorce. That way your police record remains under one name.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off