Plz help

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi guys I’ve just got banned for the third time in 10 years! Totally stupid fell asleep at traffic lights! Blew 161 got a 5 year ban and 120 community service I deserve it for being and idiot and not learning my lesson. I’m still lucky to not have injured anyone and avoid prison. Last time I was banned this forum helped me loads so Unfortunately I’m back ☹️

I guess because I’m a silly alcoholic and use my brain and learn my lesson but I’m hoping this was a blessing in disguise in that it’s finally made me step up and actually get proper help in rehab and get straight

This one is especially for price1367, I got banned for five years in 2011. I went to India as my father my critically ill. I came in 2018 and applied for DL without realising about the CDT test, any way DVLA refuesd the reinsration as my CDT was 25% as I was an bottle a day vodka man. I got divorced in march 2019. Since April 2019 till now I only drink on weekend that also 2 pints of beer. My question is if I reaplly now what chances are that my CDT would be normal , or should i wait longer. How long like me having CDT of 24% take for CDT to be normal. Thanks in advance to all who advice me.

If you are only drinking 2 pints at the weekend, even 2 pints a night, then your CDT should be fine.
You would NOT have had a CDT result of 24% in 2018. A raging alcoholic would only score about 12%
the only caution I would give you is if you have seen your doctor about your drinking in the past 6 years because that could present you with a problem. Given that you had a high CDT reading in 2018, they are likely to check with your doctor as a part of the relicensing process.

Dear price1367 Thanks again, as you mention about DVLA digging from my GP i don't think I have every gone with drink problem, thoungh I take carbemizapine 400mg twice a day due to trigeminal neuralgia, sertanline 50mg for depression & anxiety ( well in control), Lisinopril 5mg for hypertension. Any of these would be any hinderace for reissue of DL. Please also let me know if I am successful in getting the license do i have to tell my insurance about it as its over five years. Thanks again in advance

Ok, they will raise a summons which will be served on you in the post.
It will not be before Christmas as the paperwork takes a while to go through. It could be 2-3 months and they have 6 months to raise a summons before it times out and they cannot proceed against you.
I've tried reading up on this 6 month thing is it myth or true as I still haven't had a summons for court.

It is certainly true. Only 2 1/2 months seem to have gone by for you so plenty of time yet!

“(5) Where an offence can be tried only in a magistrates’ court, then unless other legislation otherwise provides—
(a) a prosecutor must serve an information on the court officer or present it to the court; or
(b) an authorised prosecutor must issue a written charge,
not more than 6 months after the offence alleged.”

It is certainly true. Only 2 1/2 months seem to have gone by for you so plenty of time yet!

“(5) Where an offence can be tried only in a magistrates’ court, then unless other legislation otherwise provides—
(a) a prosecutor must serve an information on the court officer or present it to the court; or
(b) an authorised prosecutor must issue a written charge,
not more than 6 months after the offence alleged.”

I've seen more cases of drink driving happen a couple days after my incident and they've all been dealt with by the court but I haven't heard from the police or anyone just a bit nervous I think.

The difference with yours is that you were involved in a collision and there may well be enquiries they are making about it. Then they have to raise the summons.
The majority of drink drivers are charged before they leave the police station, with a date some 2-3 weeks later to be in court. Yours is simply on the slow route......

Did they remember you?
I’m in court end of April for blowing 40 literally 1 microgram over 39
They said if I blew 39 they would of released me without charge
Just my fkin luck
Typical?

Nope not heard a peep all I'm doing every day is waiting for the post but because my car was written off and it got hauled away tried giving me a £900 bill that I flat out refused to pay

I’ve only had my license 3 months

had two bottles of Budweiser and I blew 40 on the machine I sweaaar it’s not as accurate as they make out to be

I’m going to get a 12 month ban and my insurance is 225 pound a month now after the ban it’s going to be about 500 pound a month

In my opinion it’s a very very very harsh sentence to give me I literally blew the lowest reading you could get and be charged with

I was given a court date at the police station

goodluck to you, if you’ve not heard anything back you might be in with luck
With all this corona virus stuff goin on they will be rushed off their feet and if it gets to 6 months and you’ve not heard anything I’m sure they have to drop the case

had two bottles of Budweiser and I blew 40 on the machine I sweaaar it’s not as accurate as they make out to be

I’m going to get a 12 month ban and my insurance is 225 pound a month now after the ban it’s going to be about 500 pound a month

In my opinion it’s a very very very harsh sentence to give me I literally blew the lowest reading you could get and be charged with

With all this corona virus stuff goin on they will be rushed off their feet and if it gets to 6 months and you’ve not heard anything I’m sure they have to drop the case
Ya never know lad might be lucky might not be we'll soon find

What's the basis for you being so convinced of the machine's inaccuracy?

The legal limit is 35. You blowing 40 still makes you 14% over the limit. Why would you feel that receiving the minimum ban is harsh?

More to the point, why would you think it appropriate to drink 2 bottles of Bud then drive at any point let alone 3 months after passing your test?

I passed my test in 1980, have covered an average of 30,000 miles a year in those 40 years and just had an SP30 in 2003.

A driving licence is a privilege, not a right but it seems you have discovered that early in your driving career.

This shows what happens when people think “I can drink up to the limit, so long as I do not go over”.
The recommended amount is “don’t drink before you drive” so at 40 you were well over the recommended amount... by 40!
You may have only drunk 2 bottles of Bud before you drove, but you have to also factor in what you drank at lunch time if you were caught at tea time or what you drank the night before if you were caught in the morning or lunch time.

I used to operate the evidential breath test machine and saw many people in various states of intoxication. Sometimes, if we were quiet when a drink driver came in, we would all agree to write down on our hands what we thought the persons‘ reading was going to be before he / she blew. Up to a reading of about 120 I always got it right, to within 5 either way.

Above 120 it was a bit of a lottery as to how drunk a person was ..... below that I could judge their reading based on how they spoke, how they looked, smelt, held a pen, dialled their home number on the phone etc. Sometimes people swore blind that they had not had hardly anything to drink but their demeanour gave them away. I also had the opportunity to try (off duty of course) drinking various amounts of alcohol and then blowing in to the machine (after waiting for mouth alcohol).

The results never surprised me.

Last edited:
Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off