Please, advise needed.

Convicted Driver Insurance

Dannyboy1977

Along time back I was banned from driving twice. The second time for 3yrs. Back then I failed medicals both time, its ruined my life! My ban is now up as it was 18 yrs ago. I am on benefits ever since I lost a very good job in the cellphone tech industry due to the ban. I haven't driven for 18 years but now need to concentrate on getting it back big time. I drink socialy but not dependent. Please, what's the best way to go about getting my licence back ie how long should I stop drinking for and are there any dispensations for the amount of time it's been? Are there now new rules etc? Sorry for such a lengthy question, I have so many questions. Thx Danny.

Hi dannyboy, I mean at the moment DVLA are not processing any applications for driving licences apart from the essential key workers, however when they do in the near future then what you need to do is to check with your GP first and get his approval that you are fit to drive, on application DVLA will most likely write out to your GP to see what sort of history you have with your GP and to see if there are any underlying health issues regarding your application for a licence, if you have any alcohol issues "past or present or mental health issues" then your GP will inform DVLA of your health issues and they will use this information when considering you for a licence, because it's been so long you can expect a full DVLA thorough investigation and possibly 2 DVLA medicals to declare you fit to drive, if you failed the medicals prior to this then you need to abstain from drinking altogether as there is a real chance that DVLA will class you as dependant for failing the test twice before and being caught twice in ten years, this is a long journey Danny to getting your licence back, but can be done, however you will need your GPs full support and you will need to supply liver function tests for a year as DVLA will not issue a licence with abnormal blood markers......going forward then you need 4 liver function tests all showing normal, your GPs full support in applying for your licence, a last alcoholic drink date, DVLA appointed medicals with a CDT of not more than 0.9%, and all the necessary paperwork between your GP and the DVLA namely a DD2, M2, these are the medical forms that quite possibly will get you a temporary one year licence......but only when you can supply the medical evidence mentioned above......

Hi dannyboy, I mean at the moment DVLA are not processing any applications for driving licences apart from the essential key workers, however when they do in the near future then what you need to do is to check with your GP first and get his approval that you are fit to drive, on application DVLA will most likely write out to your GP to see what sort of history you have with your GP and to see if there are any underlying health issues regarding your application for a licence, if you have any alcohol issues "past or present
Hi dannyboy, I mean at the moment DVLA are not processing any applications for driving licences apart from the essential key workers, however when they do in the near future then what you need to do is to check with your GP first and get his approval that you are fit to drive, on application DVLA will most likely write out to your GP to see what sort of history you have with your GP and to see if there are any underlying health issues regarding your application for a licence, if you have any alcohol issues "past or present or mental health issues" then your GP will inform DVLA of your health issues and they will use this information when considering you for a licence, because it's been so long you can expect a full DVLA thorough investigation and possibly 2 DVLA medicals to declare you fit to drive, if you failed the medicals prior to this then you need to abstain from drinking altogether as there is a real chance that DVLA will class you as dependant for failing the test twice before and being caught twice in ten years, this is a long journey Danny to getting your licence back, but can be done, however you will need your GPs full support and you will need to supply liver function tests for a year as DVLA will not issue a licence with abnormal blood markers......going forward then you need 4 liver function tests all showing normal, your GPs full support in applying for your licence, a last alcoholic drink date, DVLA appointed medicals with a CDT of not more than 0.9%, and all the necessary paperwork between your GP and the DVLA namely a DD2, M2, these are the medical forms that quite possibly will get you a temporary one year licence......but only when you can supply the medical evidence mentioned above......

or mental health issues" then your GP will inform DVLA of your health issues and they will use this information when considering you for a licence, because it's been so long you can expect a full DVLA thorough investigation and possibly 2 DVLA medicals to declare you fit to drive, if you failed the medicals prior to this then you need to abstain from drinking altogether as there is a real chance that DVLA will class you as dependant for failing the test twice before and being caught twice in ten years, this is a long journey Danny to getting your licence back, but can be done, however you will need your GPs full support and you will need to supply liver function tests for a year as DVLA will not issue a licence with abnormal blood markers......going forward then you need 4 liver function tests all showing normal, your GPs full support in applying for your licence, a last alcoholic drink date, DVLA appointed medicals with a CDT of not more than 0.9%, and all the necessary paperwork between your GP and the DVLA namely a DD2, M2, these are the medical forms that quite possibly will get you a temporary one year licence......but only when you can supply the medical evidence mentioned above......

Firstly, thanks for replying back to me and explaining to me in such detail. Thank you.. Now I just thought I would fill out the D1 form sendit off to dvla and wait for a reply from them as to no what to do next, because by the sounds of it they Coul just say no at any time and I will have to start all over again. I am very shocked as to what they want to put me through to be honest!!! Also from what you have said its going to cost a small fortune.....

Firstly, thanks for replying back to me and explaining to me in such detail. Thank you.. Now I just thought I would fill out the D1 form sendit off to dvla and wait for a reply from them as to no what to do next, because by the sounds of it they Coul just say no at any time and I will have to start all over again. I am very shocked as to what they want to put me through to be honest!!! Also from what you have said its going to cost a small fortune.....
Hi mate, all your liver function tests with the GP will be free and all the support you require, however because you are a HRO then the licence fee and the medicals DVLA will expect you to pay, I doubt your application will get further than the postman `given the current situation, just be mindful that DVLA will not tell you all this information they will just emphasis it as MEDICAL `EVIDENCE on a letter and most people find out this through the forum, going forward `then (when you can) if you are stuck we are always here `to help and guide `you through the DVLA process when needed......

Hi mate, all your liver function tests with the GP will be free and all the support you require, however because you are a HRO then the licence fee and the medicals DVLA will expect you to pay, I doubt your application will get further than the postman `given the current situation, just be mindful that DVLA will not tell you all this information they will just emphasis it as MEDICAL `EVIDENCE on a letter and most people find out this through the forum, going forward `then (when you can) if you are stuck we are always here `to help and guide `you through the DVLA process when needed......
Thanks again for your advise and time. I will let things take there course with corona and make an application to the gods.. I will let you know how it goes and be in touch with more questions I'm sure. Take care. Thx Danny..

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off