Passed CDT test - reassuring post

Convicted Driver Insurance

HROgirl

Hi all, I posted about a month ago for some reassurance (I didn’t get it) so I’m posting this as I hope it puts some of your minds at rest. I was worried as I’d slightly cut down on alcohol consumption prior to my medical, however only completely abstained for 2 days. I’m a 31 year old female, fit and healthy, walk about 10,000 steps a day. I drink most nights - probably a large glass of wine on average and more than that probably once or twice a week.

In the 5 days before my medical I had a binge over a couple of days with a few bottles of wine for a celebration. I drank a few beers over the weekend and had my medical on the Tuesday.

I was so worried after posting on here - I had some comments such as “stupid drinking before a medical” “you won’t get your license back” etc.

I’ve today received my letter stating my CDT levels were 1.1 and I’ve now got my license back and wanted to reassure people. Feel free to ask me any questions. I’m so glad I didn’t delay my medical.

This is just my experience - I’m not encouraging people to drink, I’m just sharing what’s happened with me and trying to reassure people.

But you lied on the medical form about your drinking.... You must have done or it would have been refused!

Hi all, I posted about a month ago for some reassurance (I didn’t get it) so I’m posting this as I hope it puts some of your minds at rest. I was worried as I’d slightly cut down on alcohol consumption prior to my medical, however only completely abstained for 2 days. I’m a 31 year old female, fit and healthy, walk about 10,000 steps a day. I drink most nights - probably a large glass of wine on average and more than that probably once or twice a week.

In the 5 days before my medical I had a binge over a couple of days with a few bottles of wine for a celebration. I drank a few beers over the weekend and had my medical on the Tuesday.

I was so worried after posting on here - I had some comments such as “stupid drinking before a medical” “you won’t get your license back” etc.

I’ve today received my letter stating my CDT levels were 1.1 and I’ve now got my license back and wanted to reassure people. Feel free to ask me any questions. I’m so glad I didn’t delay my medical.

This is just my experience - I’m not encouraging people to drink, I’m just sharing what’s happened with me and trying to reassure people.
Looking for reassurance or looking for honest answers? There are many places you can get someone to pat you on the head and tell you what you want to hear, or you can come here and get honest views from people who have been there.

So you got lucky, you decided to lie on the medical (which made you liable for a potential prison sentence) and you are proud of it? You obviously haven't learned from the whole situation and I wonder if you have kept your drinking habits the same. Statistically people in situations like you are much more likely to reoffend, or worse - they kill other people. Well done champ!!!

I didn’t lie about my drinking. They asked me what I regularly drink - a glass of wine per night. That’s my norm.
This is the form that is completed, they do more than ask what you regularly drink.....

you said “had a binge over a couple of days with a few bottles of wine for a celebration.” I am certain you did not mention that or you would have had big problems. This the specific question: “How often in the last year have you drank 6 units or more on a single occasion?” From what you boasted on your post, the answer should have been “multiple times, the last one a couple of days ago....” was that your reply?
jimbob asked you previously: “Did you declare these binges at your medical?” And you replied “yeah I did”. Well “no you didn’t...” you winged it and got lucky.

Last edited:

Attachments

• D35CE703-6452-42F7-8407-3F621538CFCC-375-00000055A4B9E82C.jpg
    D35CE703-6452-42F7-8407-3F621538CFCC-375-00000055A4B9E82C.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 6
I think you got lucky , my partner got refused 0.6 on bloods , no alcohol for months but was refused as he missed something he was unaware of
I remember your post and from sound of it you had an issue , if you can't give it up for the suggested two weeks abstinence you have a drink problem .

The problem is everybody has unique circumstances and the same for each individuals body, some may process alcohol quicker, differently and react better/worse to the lasting effect of it. I think to attack HRO girl is slightly harsh. Not that i condone lying on a medical and as has been posted if things had gone the other way you could have been prosecuted for misinformation, you have been very very very lucky, people on here have abstained weeks, months, years and still had the heart ache of GP reports, proof of abstinence etc.

Take it as a lesson but most importantly now you have your license back slow up on the alcohol...........the court wont be as lenient next time..........

I think you got lucky , my partner got refused 0.6 on bloods , no alcohol for months but was refused as he missed something he was unaware of
I remember your post and from sound of it you had an issue , if you can't give it up for the suggested two weeks abstinence you have a drink problem .

i don’t have a drink problem at all, I can go weeks without I just choose not to

What did he miss that he was unaware of?

But you lied on the medical form about your drinking.... You must have done or it would have been refused!
I did not lie
The problem is everybody has unique circumstances and the same for each individuals body, some may process alcohol quicker, differently and react better/worse to the lasting effect of it. I think to attack HRO girl is slightly harsh. Not that i condone lying on a medical and as has been posted if things had gone the other way you could have been prosecuted for misinformation, you have been very very very lucky, people on here have abstained weeks, months, years and still had the heart ache of GP reports, proof of abstinence etc.

Take it as a lesson but most importantly now you have your license back slow up on the alcohol...........the court wont be as lenient next time..........
thanks. I do feel quite attacked to be honest. the drink driving incident was a mistake which will NEVER happen again.

What did he miss that he was unaware of?

He was unaware that he had a seizure , nothing was said to him at the hospital, he has had no follow up appointments and his GP has never spoken to him about it.
He has a recolection of going for a scan at the hospital but was never informed of the results.

I did not lie

You said you were drinking a large glass of wine per night, and on 2 or 3 days a week even more. A large glass (250ml) of 12% ABV wine is 3 units. Most people do not just have 250ml though, most of the time it is bigger. 3 units x 7 days a week = 21 units. Add on say 2 extra glasses during the week = 27 units (pretty much twice the govt. guidelines) The questionnaire asks specifically " How often in the last year have you drank 6 units or more on a single occasion? " - say you had 2 glasses on 2 occasions a week, this means your answer to this question would have to have been 104. I can bet that you didn't put that as your answer?!?!?

You say you feel attacked but nobody is attacking you. People are commenting that you are boasting about drinking right up to a medical which may encourage others to do this also. You also say " i don’t have a drink problem at all, I can go weeks without I just choose not to ". Try reading that statement out aloud and see what you would think if someone said that to you?

This forum is about helping and educating others, the majority of people aren't being specifically judgemental about you, they are just annoyed about your posts seem to be encouraging dangerous and irresponsible behaviour - like saying to a kid "I've smoked 60 a day for 40 years and it hasn't harmed me!" Please just be mindful about what you post, if you want the "There, There..." treatment then don't post on a public forum!

Hi there quick question - why were you deemed a HRO? Just trying to check against my situation!

Thanks

Admin error i wasn't trying to post a specific reply BUT i did want to post a response in case HROGIRL unintentionally misleads others.

I have been teetotal now since September 15 2018 7.30 pm . Before that i was 2 or 3 bottles of red (12%) every night, without fail plus the odd binge.
I blew 149 at the roadside, 90 mins later at the station i blew 113 and 112. Officer said he knows that only heavy drinkers can show such widely differing readings in a short space of time. I was later diagnosed as a high functioning alcoholic.

For my first medical i stopped drinking for 32 days but i did get private tests in between. As a baseline I was 2.8 CDT 3 days after stopping, two weeks later i was 1.9, exactly two weeks after that i was 0.9.. That was total abstinence, no special diet just water, tea and coffee.

Everyone is different, their metabolisms are different. I was attending AA meetings and we had people who were drinking similar amounts to me who stopped for a month and were totally borderline at 1.6 and some that were very low at .6 or .7...... my point is the longer you abstain the better your chances. I'm not going to preach about 4 weeks or 12 weeks etc its all about how much risk you wish to take. Unfortunately as we have been convicted of drink driving we are by definition risk takers.

Bottom line is please CHOOSE what is more important your licence or a drink. If its a drink then you probably do have a problem.

This forum has been a godsend to me and people like me, told me straight but also give me the facts and encourage. It's made me want to try and give something back to this forum.

Last edited:
Is 16 days enough for me to pass? I normally drink about 4 bottles of wine over the weekend. 2 bottles a night.

Dr said if I cancel this appointment there isn't one for ages 😭

If you disclose that amount on your medical questionnaire, DVLA will view you as being alcohol dependent and want proof that you have not drunk alcohol for 12 months before they consider giving you a 12 month medically restricted licence.
You may be OK on the CDT result, but you really should have addressed this upcoming medical before you have done.

Is 16 days enough for me to pass? I normally drink about 4 bottles of wine over the weekend. 2 bottles a night.

Dr said if I cancel this appointment there isn't one for ages 😭
Personally speaking if you have 2 bottles of wine a night you have an issue with alcohol.
I'm speaking honestly as I'm some one who had an issue .
Although I never had an issue with my lisence
As said before it's either booze or your licence .

Personally speaking if you have 2 bottles of wine a night you have an issue with alcohol.
I'm speaking honestly as I'm some one who had an issue .
Although I never had an issue with my lisence
As said before it's either booze or your licence .
Oh no love, I think you misunderstood. I don't drink during the week but I will have 2 bottles on a Friday night and 2 bottles on the Saturday then no alcohol for 5 days.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off