Now this is weird..... have DVLA developed a conscience??

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paul W

So some of you may know me, I post a bit. I was HRO (and dependant until 2017) and been going through the yearly medical fiasco ( which i agree they should do by the way) and i've just completed year 4 - every time 1% CDT or lower (I'm teetotal now since 15th Oct 2018). This year is the FASTEST I've had my licence renewed DESPITE the fact there was a 3 week delay as they lost the paperwork from the doctor conducting the medical.... sigh...

So here is the weird thing.... my licence expires mid march. I always complete the paperwork and get it to them recorded delivery first week of Jan and WITHOUT fail it takes them until November to grant me a licence again. In between I drive under section 88.

This year I got mad..... i was planning a driving holiday in south of France, told DVLA - had to cancel the holiday as France doesn't recognise section 88 (and why should they, their country, their rules) in August I was due to drive the car for my eldest son's wedding - the hire car company would not allow me as i couldn't show a current driving licence (again I don't blame them, it was an old classic car and I understand). But that was a final straw, coupled with the lost paperwork.

So i crafted a long complaint to DVLA - yes i understand this is what you need to do, BUT even when you grant me a licence I only ever have it for 3 months or so over winter which means 1) I can't look for jobs that involve driving, 2) My holidays are ruined 3) You just stopped me from driving my sons wedding car 4) the stress driving under section 88 if I get a stop by the police........ Appreciate you need to do your job but do it QUICKER! Its my fault I drove while drunk - no question about that. But I've done my bit now (ban ended 2019) and I continue to do my bit. Now you do yours.....

Renewed Licence arrived today (21st November for 1 year again.... sigh) but instead of renewing mid March 2023 (Which all previous times it did) its now renews mid November! Driving holidays here i come!

PS - still not had an official response to my complaint......

Last edited:
BTW - I was told categorically by the DVLA that making a complaint will NOT affect your licence process or decision. In fact I felt I was almost being encouraged to make a complaint as its the only way those running SA99 get any actionable feedback. You can do it online, you don't even have to write an essay just "terrible wait times for medical licence renewals, broken processes, 3-5 weeks to even SCAN something into a work queue" type 3 lines would be fine. If we don't complain, it won't improve.

Please raise a complaint, it will be months before any reply but as a Gov agency they have to report all complaints up the chain of command.

I was struggling to get my license back (non HRO so only a couple of weeks late, but i wasnt aware of the hell the DVLA can cause) - I was calling them daily eventually used their chat-bot which got me through to an agent, she was, unlike the others, very pro active and when i checked online 20 mins after speaking to her I could drive! license arrived 2 days later. Probably a temp! :ROFLMAO:

BTW - I was told categorically by the DVLA that making a complaint will NOT affect your licence process or decision. In fact I felt I was almost being encouraged to make a complaint as its the only way those running SA99 get any actionable feedback. You can do it online, you don't even have to write an essay just "terrible wait times for medical licence renewals, broken processes, 3-5 weeks to even SCAN something into a work queue" type 3 lines would be fine. If we don't complain, it won't improve.

Please raise a complaint, it will be months before any reply but as a Gov agency they have to report all complaints up the chain of command.
Congratulations first of all since 2018 is fantastic. Do you think that making a complaint would make a difference to their current time scale in other words it will make them look at your file and respond quicker?

I do think it sucks that they haven't had the decency to grant you a longer licence. Surely to God this 12 month licence fiasco is only creating more work for the DVLA. There must be hundreds of new medical cases coming through every week. My thought process tells me - if they are constantly giving people 12 month licences year after year, it is only creating more & more admin for the DVLA and slowing things down.

CJ

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off