No drink order ankle bracelet

Convicted Driver Insurance

Badger2

Anyone else get one of these? I had to be diagnosed non-dependent for the magistrates to hand out this 'punishment' on top of the ban. So that should mean a doctor can't say I am at the medical right? But how will anyone know?

Anyone else get one of these? I had to be diagnosed non-dependent for the magistrates to hand out this 'punishment' on top of the ban. So that should mean a doctor can't say I am at the medical right? But how will anyone know?
I don’t understand your question; sorry!

One of these?

You must have done something pretty outrageous to be handed one of those...

Dont understand the question - please read your own "question" and rephrase for us?

Dont understand the question - please read your own "question" and rephrase for us?

I think they are saying/asking:

"I was given a tag that alerts the police if I drink alcohol. Magistrates only give them to people who aren't alcohol dependent. Does this mean the doctor can't say I am dependent on alcohol at the medical?"

The answer is no, I'd imagine, and to be given one of those tags you'd have to be a misuser to some degree, which would also be flagged at the medical.

"I was given a tag that alerts the police if I drink alcohol. Magistrates only give them to people who aren't alcohol dependent. Does this mean the doctor can't say I am dependent on alcohol at the medical?"

The answer is no, I'd imagine, and to be given one of those tags you'd have to be a misuser to some degree, which would also be flagged at the medical.
Thanks James - that's clearer. I can't begin to imagine the history for a magistrate to impose that, but every journey starts with a first step!

I’d say that it’s a definite no. There are even questions in the medical process aimed at this kind of intervention. In any case, whatever led to the tag being imposed would probably be flagged by the ‘accidents due to alcohol’ question anyway.

I don't necessarily agree with these tags as I feel it is like big brother style sanctions by the courts. Unfortunately, there are many offenders out there who are alcohol dependant.

I had a serious drinking problem when I was busted for drink driving and I didn't stop drinking until six months into my ban, so having one of these tags would have potentially made my problems a whole lot worse.

Also, it's worth noting that only a very small minority of convicted drink drivers actually get behind the wheel again during their ban, so if they are still drinking alcohol - why should it warrant one of these tags.

I am assuming these tags will only be used for persistent offenders and those who are a genuine danger to the public through drink. Violent criminals with a history of assaults and public order offences spring to mind - not a first time drink driver.

Another issue that concerns me is that - will these tags be monitored by the numpty private companies like G4S or Serco who have a reputation of incompetence?

CJ

I don't necessarily agree with these tags as I feel it is like big brother style sanctions by the courts. Unfortunately, there are many offenders out there who are alcohol dependant.

I had a serious drinking problem when I was busted for drink driving and I didn't stop drinking until six months into my ban, so having one of these tags would have potentially made my problems a whole lot worse.

Also, it's worth noting that only a very small minority of convicted drink drivers actually get behind the wheel again during their ban, so if they are still drinking alcohol - why should it warrant one of these tags.

I am assuming these tags will only be used for persistent offenders and those who are a genuine danger to the public through drink. Violent criminals with a history of assaults and public order offences spring to mind - not a first time drink driver.

Another issue that concerns me is that - will these tags be monitored by the numpty private companies like G4S or Serco who have a reputation of incompetence?

CJ
Hi CJ, I'm going to disagree with you a bit if i may. I don't know much about these "tags" but reading up it says "magistrates only give these to people who aren't alcohol dependent". In that case we MAY be talking about individuals who are normally rational but "kick off" after a drink. We don't know enough about the circumstances here e.g. did the arrest involve assault on police, Ambulance, nurse etc. Is there an existing record where alcohol has put others at risk. Its possible these tags could encourage alcohol avoidance? I did go through detox and there were times i thought "who would know". If i knew a lapse would be flagged for me PERSONALLY it would have made it easier to say no to myself.

Just my thoughts :)

PS - just did a little research and the vast majority of these tags are issued when there is a history of assault and domestic violence. I am NOT saying this is the case with our new forum member, but for me anything which could stop others coming to harm once the drug ethanol reaches the brain gets a reserved thumbs up from me.

CJ

Sorry to say, this is no exactly right. I was given a tag for 60 days even though i was first time offender (Failure to provide) and had a smal brush with another car. No one was injured or damaged the car.

I was given 19 months ban and the tag instead of community service. Sh*t CPS have recommended this to court. I was not even any history of alcohol misuse/abuse or any other offences till then.

Yes. That exactly it. No nothing really beyond drink driving. They were testing it at the time. Reduced ban if I wore one. So you're saying it actually makes me look worse. Hadn't thought of that so won't mention it at medical.

Yes. That exactly it. No nothing really beyond drink driving. They were testing it at the time. Reduced ban if I wore one. So you're saying it actually makes me look worse. Hadn't thought of that so won't mention it at medical.

Good luck Badger2.

(Now imagines a Badger rocking out to Song 2 by Blur when he passes medical 🦡🤘)

Thanks 👍- only other concern would be weed. But they're not testing for that are they?
No. They’d tell you if so.

Just go easy a few days before, or better stop and give yellow stains a chance to go. And don’t go in smelling of it. If you can’t disguise it no harm in saying you socially smoke cigarettes.

So no, they won’t be testing for that, but why raise any suspicion. My advice is to go clean a few days/weeks to be double-sure.

Drugs aren’t going to be a help during this. Playing it straight is. :)

Hi CJ, I'm going to disagree with you a bit if i may. I don't know much about these "tags" but reading up it says "magistrates only give these to people who aren't alcohol dependent". In that case we MAY be talking about individuals who are normally rational but "kick off" after a drink. We don't know enough about the circumstances here e.g. did the arrest involve assault on police, Ambulance, nurse etc. Is there an existing record where alcohol has put others at risk. Its possible these tags could encourage alcohol avoidance? I did go through detox and there were times i thought "who would know". If i knew a lapse would be flagged for me PERSONALLY it would have made it easier to say no to myself.

Just my thoughts :)

PS - just did a little research and the vast majority of these tags are issued when there is a history of assault and domestic violence. I am NOT saying this is the case with our new forum member, but for me anything which could stop others coming to harm once the drug ethanol reaches the brain gets a reserved thumbs up from me.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on this one. There are pro's & con's to the ankle tag, but my concern is that a first time drink driver is given one when they may be going through a really bad period of alcohol dependancy.

A tag may simply create even more of a problem if the person continues to drink alcohol and is hauled before the courts and criminalised again because they simply cannot stop drinking. As Firemansam007 said below - he was given a tag after committing a DD offence (I am not saying he is alcohol dependant or a misuser in anyway!!!!) - the tag should not be issued on this occasion.

Sorry to say, this is no exactly right. I was given a tag for 60 days even though i was first time offender (Failure to provide) and had a smal brush with another car. No one was injured or damaged the car.

I was given 19 months ban and the tag instead of community service. Sh*t CPS have recommended this to court. I was not even any history of alcohol misuse/abuse or any other offences till then.

This is proves my point with Paul W., that on this occasion the punishment of the tag was not proportionate to the offence committed. Like you said, community service or even a night time curfew would have been far more beneficial. I got 100 hours CS in 2019 and even though I was still drinking alcohol moderately in the evenings when I got home, I turned up early everyday in a sober state and actually enjoyed the placement towards the end of my time there.

The CS was a suitable punishment for me as I was fully prepared to do it and I completed all my hours within three weeks by working longer days and coming in at weekends. As I said, I toned down my drinking but I would have really struggled with an ankle tag and potentially would have breached it knowing what my drinking habits were like at the time.

CJ

No. They’d tell you if so.

Just go easy a few days before, or better stop and give yellow stains a chance to go. And don’t go in smelling of it. If you can’t disguise it no harm in saying you socially smoke cigarettes.

So no, they won’t be testing for that, but why raise any suspicion. My advice is to go clean a few days/weeks to be double-sure.

Drugs aren’t going to be a help during this. Playing it straight is. :)
Yes. Thank you. I was asking in case I need to decline over the coming weeks. Done a week of no drinking already and def not buying any weed. Medical 22/11. Thanks for your help on here 👍

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off