Nightmare that keeps getting worse - Admiral

Convicted Driver Insurance
DepressedDad, dmiral may well have a case, which is why I am advocating timing it out rather then pushing for court! But equally if Admiral went to court and lost it would be awkward for them going forward.
That is why I think they will rely on pressure to make people cave in and hope that the fear of court keeps people paying up.
Timing out is definitely the simplest, least cost solution. It worked for me. Each case is different and you need to find things to challenge and spot the mistakes they make. The key point being that Admiral do almost nothing to reduce the cost of the claim. Doesn't matter in a normal claim but it sure as hell does when they expect you to pay it.

Court is the last resort. In larger claims you can get stung for their costs if you lose. It also needs heavyweight legal help to fight a big corporation. It's a high risk approach.
Small Claims court expects you to have tried everything to resolve the case before submitting a claim. In my opinion Admiral will find it hard to prove they have acted in your best interests.

There must be something that stops other insurers having the same clause about recovering costs. Only Admiral appear to do this. They surely can't be on solid ground otherwise they would all do it.

Hey depressed dad,

Can you help me please? So I got done for D&D in September but admiral is taking a while to send me a bill currently sat at £6.5k and they're just waiting for the other shop to send the last bill so they can add it all up together. I remember looking through your threads and again this one and you state about spotting admiral mistakes? can you tell me what mistakes to look out for and how to try and keep the costs down. Do I argue and ask them how they tried keeping the cost down?

Hey depressed dad,

Can you help me please? So I got done for D&D in September but admiral is taking a while to send me a bill currently sat at £6.5k and they're just waiting for the other shop to send the last bill so they can add it all up together. I remember looking through your threads and again this one and you state about spotting admiral mistakes? can you tell me what mistakes to look out for and how to try and keep the costs down. Do I argue and ask them how they tried keeping the cost down?

Each case is likely to be different but wait for them to contact you with the figure. There's no rush with this.
Ask for a breakdown of the claim without being specific. Wait and see what they come back with.

Then ask for more detail of specific items.

There could be car hire costs, personal injury, medical costs, vehicle and property damage, police reports.

Look for anything that looks excessive. Ask for the evidence. Ask for their independent assessments (unlikely to be much) and ask what they have done to reduce the amount of the claim. The other party is likely to use a Claims Management company so costs are usually inflated. Admiral will usually just pay up without putting in any effort to reduce the claim.

Make a big deal out of any mistakes Admiral make. They broke data protection rules by sending me the claimants name and address.
They didn't do enough to reduce the costs. The photographs of the damage were useless. They didn't conduct their own medicals, etc.
I did an HPI check on the other vehicle and found it had been written off twice before, making it less valuable. They didn't know that.
You can check MOT history online for free (if car is old enough) to see if it has been well maintained. It's just additional information I threw in to apply a bit more pressure.

Write letters, keep a copy, send it second class. Be careful about disclosing details of your financial situation or ability to pay.

The strategy is to string it out, challenge everything and question what they have done to help you. They are likely to reduce the amount and try to negotiate a deal. It'll cost you some time and a few letters but it might save you some money.

Good Luck.

Each case is likely to be different but wait for them to contact you with the figure. There's no rush with this.
Ask for a breakdown of the claim without being specific. Wait and see what they come back with.

There could be car hire costs, personal injury, medical costs, vehicle and property damage, police reports.

Look for anything that looks excessive. Ask for the evidence. Ask for their independent assessments (unlikely to be much) and ask what they have done to reduce the amount of the claim. The other party is likely to use a Claims Management company so costs are usually inflated. Admiral will usually just pay up without putting in any effort to reduce the claim.

Make a big deal out of any mistakes Admiral make. They broke data protection rules by sending me the claimants name and address.
They didn't do enough to reduce the costs. The photographs of the damage were useless. They didn't conduct their own medicals, etc.
I did an HPI check on the other vehicle and found it had been written off twice before, making it less valuable. They didn't know that.
You can check MOT history online for free (if car is old enough) to see if it has been well maintained. It's just additional information I threw in to apply a bit more pressure.

Write letters, keep a copy, send it second class. Be careful about disclosing details of your financial situation or ability to pay.

The strategy is to string it out, challenge everything and question what they have done to help you. They are likely to reduce the amount and try to negotiate a deal. It'll cost you some time and a few letters but it might save you some money.

Good Luck.

Good Luck.

Hi depressed dad,

Thank you for your advice it’s been really helpful.

One of the cars that took the most damage was also insured by admiral. I guess with that in mind they almost knew they wouldn’t be paying for it so did very little to drop the costs, would you agree? Also one of the cars weren’t taxed however due to covid the government extended our tax to 3 months then the naked driver would have to pay. If you get what I mean? According to admiral the car was still allowed on the side of the road. Can we fight against this?

I know you said about letting them contact me but It taking so long, they aren’t keeping me in the loop and it’s just weighing heavy on my mind. Is their any advantages to leaving it and waiting for them to contact me. Other than not paying them as soon, like is there a reason I should wait?

I know not to share any information about my financial situation but what happens if I say I don’t have the money? Like what would happen.

Thank you again
Jas

Jas,
As I said each case is different.
You have to deal with your specific situation yourself, and/or seek professional advice.

You have to face the fact that you have damaged property because of your drink driving.

Irrespective of whether a car is taxed or not you have damaged it and Admiral is liable to pay for the damage.

The bottom line is pushing back on Admiral's DD policy and seeing if they have helped reduce the amount they are chasing you for.

If you don't accept the terms and conditions of the policy you have to articulate why it's unfair.

Believe me, I know how stressful it is. It needs resilience and determination to drag it out. I had this going on for 6 years.

If you can't take on the challenge just see how much you can reduce the claim to an acceptable figure and agree a repayment plan.

Apologies if that sounds harsh but you need to decide how much you want to fight it.

regards,

DD

Hi depressed dad,

Thank you for your advice it’s been really helpful.

One of the cars that took the most damage was also insured by admiral. I guess with that in mind they almost knew they wouldn’t be paying for it so did very little to drop the costs, would you agree? Also one of the cars weren’t taxed however due to covid the government extended our tax to 3 months then the naked driver would have to pay. If you get what I mean? According to admiral the car was still allowed on the side of the road. Can we fight against this?

I know you said about letting them contact me but It taking so long, they aren’t keeping me in the loop and it’s just weighing heavy on my mind. Is their any advantages to leaving it and waiting for them to contact me. Other than not paying them as soon, like is there a reason I should wait?

I know not to share any information about my financial situation but what happens if I say I don’t have the money? Like what would happen.

Thank you again
Jas
Hi Jas

My input is regarding the car tax. Any car on a road, parked or otherwise, needs to be taxed and this did not change during COVID. The government extended MOT by 6 months, in some cases, but for a car to be legal you need tax, insurance and MOT if applicable. If you SORN a car ie it doesn’t have valid road tax, it needs to be parked on private land.

Hope that helps, wishing you well.

If the car was on the road and not taxed it is an offence and they are liable for a fine. Admiral still have to pay for the damage though. Likewise if a car is not insured and you hit it your insurance still has to pay.
You could make a plea for a reduction due to the other owners negligence. You've nothing to lose by asking.

If it had the MOT extended because of Covid then there's no issue. One of my cars had the MOT extended 6 months. It was still legal.

Hey Depressed Dad,

I just want start of saying thank you to you for helping me through these difficult months and telling me what to look out for. It has helped me alot!
However, I have now received my bill after 5 months of £7.7k although I’m paying for 2 cars its stating that vehicle value (total loss) and hire vehicle which was the golf that funnily didn’t cost as much as the Suzuki alto did. The second vehicle (suzuki) i am paying for the vehicle value, recovery and storage (which not sure why I’m paying for storage) and hire vehicle. Does this sound like something i can argue with even though ive just emailed them asking for the breakdown of the prices to see how its come to this just like you told me too (always worth a try). However, I am still not sure why i am paying for a 2011 Suzuki alto when it suffered minimal damage, would I need to ask for a damage report and pictures as proof?

Hope your well
Jas

So both cars were written off and you have to pay the value of both?
What was the make/model/year/mileage of each car and is the value reasonable?
Get the registration numbers and check the vehicle MOT and tax history Tax and MOT check

What category of write off is each car? Unless it is Cat A then Admiral are likely to sell the vehicle for spares or repair.
Cosmetic, non-structural damage Cat could mean the car is still useable if it passes appropriate test.
Ask them what has happened to the vehicles and have Admiral sold them for scrap or repair?
I suspect the cars may have had some residual value which should be taken off the value of the claim.

Or, if you have any family or friends in the motor trade you could possibly insist they give you the written off cars so you could repair or sell them yourself!!! Owners usually have the option to buy back their written off cars to repair themselves.

Ask for the damage reports and photographs of both vehicles. Did they get alternative estimates?
Did the other owners use a Claims Management company? These companies usually charge way above normal prices for car hire, recovery, repair, etc.
What did Admiral do to reduce the costs?

How much were the storage costs? How long was it stored for?
How long did they have a hire car? How much did it cost per day?
What was the make/model/year of the hire vehicle?
They are entitled to a like for like vehicle, only for as long as really needed so they shouldn't get to drive a flash motor for weeks. It should be the cheapest, smallest hire car if they had a Suzuki Alto!

I don't understand the point made earlier about the car tax - do you mean the DVLA Vehicle Licence or the MOT?

Only the MOT was extended due to Covid as far as I know. If it wasn't taxed (vehicle licence) then it should not have been on the road.

As you can see there is loads to challenge and more questions will n doubt arise as you dig into it.

So both cars were written off and you have to pay the value of both?
What was the make/model/year/mileage of each car and is the value reasonable?
Get the registration numbers and check the vehicle MOT and tax history Tax and MOT check

What category of write off is each car? Unless it is Cat A then Admiral are likely to sell the vehicle for spares or repair.
Cosmetic, non-structural damage Cat could mean the car is still useable if it passes appropriate test.
Ask them what has happened to the vehicles and have Admiral sold them for scrap or repair?
I suspect the cars may have had some residual value which should be taken off the value of the claim.

Or, if you have any family or friends in the motor trade you could possibly insist they give you the written off cars so you could repair or sell them yourself!!! Owners usually have the option to buy back their written off cars to repair themselves.

Ask for the damage reports and photographs of both vehicles. Did they get alternative estimates?
Did the other owners use a Claims Management company? These companies usually charge way above normal prices for car hire, recovery, repair, etc.
What did Admiral do to reduce the costs?

How much were the storage costs? How long was it stored for?
How long did they have a hire car? How much did it cost per day?
What was the make/model/year of the hire vehicle?
They are entitled to a like for like vehicle, only for as long as really needed so they shouldn't get to drive a flash motor for weeks. It should be the cheapest, smallest hire car if they had a Suzuki Alto!

I don't understand the point made earlier about the car tax - do you mean the DVLA Vehicle Licence or the MOT?

Only the MOT was extended due to Covid as far as I know. If it wasn't taxed (vehicle licence) then it should not have been on the road.

As you can see there is loads to challenge and more questions will n doubt arise as you dig into it.

I’ve searched the MOT and tax on both vehicles tonight and the Golf (2011) tax was due on the 15th July 2020 when I hit them in early September so it was 2 months out of tax. I spoke to admiral the following day about it and they said they had a 3 month leniency so they would still insure it. The Golf is not on the road now and the Suzuki Alto (2014) has been given to a new owner as I can’t see it around the main road anymore and its been taxed and a fresh MOT was done on the 10/11/20. (Just to make it clear the road is a main road and they all park on the one side). However i do remember the Suzuki being taxed and MOT the day I hit it, it was only the golf I’ve got issues with. Although the Suzuki had 3 amber advisory’s about their tyres but I dont think that will help in this situation?

I need to do a HPI check on both vehicles as I cant find out there category unless I pay a website to do it, any recommendations? I can only find out there category CO2 emissions.

When I spoke to admiral before Christmas he said both parties had courtesy cars for a month. However the golf hire car is coming in at £161.49 and the Suzuki hire car is coming in at £621.30 honestly I think they must of been in a 4x4 for sure! I will argue that though and they have put Recovery & Storage at £430.92 on the Suzuki, but the storage isn‘t my fault though surely? I don’t know I am trying to look at many different ways and please tell me if I’m wrong even if it comes across harsh, I’d rather know.

I will start asking these questions that you put when they reply to my email. Also, is it bad that i signed the indemnity letter? as that was the first thing they sent me in order for me to see the value for the cars.

I dont mind stating the costs In this threat at all just for others to realise that a Admiral can massively inflate the prices of damage cars Especially for a 2014 Suzuki alto! Also, I will be letting you and everyone that reads this thread the outcome that admiral has had.

Last edited:
Im no expert.....but if a car is not legal to be on the road......no insurance payment is due on it....

Im no expert.....but if a car is not legal to be on the road......no insurance payment is due on it....

Not strictly true. They are still entitled to a pay out if someone else damages their vehicle.

However, if the vehicle is not taxed it must be SORN.

To tax a vehicle you need to have a valid MOT.

During the first lockdown they decided you shouldn't take your car in for an MOT so they gave dispensation to have it extended.

One of my cars had its MOT extended from July to December. It was already taxed for 12 months so always covered. The MOT records were updated with the new expiry date.

Not clear what happened to the Golf in Jas' case. Maybe the tax and MOT expired at about the same time and it took a while for the MOT records to be updated so that the tax could be renewed. Did the owner fail to renew the tax, or did they have dispensation?

The Golf was parked on the side of the road when I hit. It had no tax as it ran out on the 25th July 2020 but it had an MOT which expired on the 30 September 2020. I hit both cars on the 7th September. The car was not SORN otherwise it wouldnt be on the road.

I dont think the owner failed to renew the tax as the three month extension was for MOT only. However, admiral said that the golf still had valid insurance as they had a 3 month leniency. Not sure how that covers him for being insured if the Golf was on the side of the road with no tax

I’ve searched the MOT and tax on both vehicles tonight and the Golf (2011) tax was due on the 15th July 2020 when I hit them in early September so it was 2 months out of tax. I spoke to admiral the following day about it and they said they had a 3 month leniency so they would still insure it. The Golf is not on the road now and the Suzuki Alto (2014) has been given to a new owner as I can’t see it around the main road anymore and its been taxed and a fresh MOT was done on the 10/11/20. (Just to make it clear the road is a main road and they all park on the one side). However i do remember the Suzuki being taxed and MOT the day I hit it, it was only the golf I’ve got issues with. Although the Suzuki had 3 amber advisory’s about their tyres but I dont think that will help in this situation?

I need to do a HPI check on both vehicles as I cant find out there category unless I pay a website to do it, any recommendations? I can only find out there category CO2 emissions.

When I spoke to admiral before Christmas he said both parties had courtesy cars for a month. However the golf hire car is coming in at £161.49 and the Suzuki hire car is coming in at £621.30 honestly I think they must of been in a 4x4 for sure! I will argue that though and they have put Recovery & Storage at £430.92 on the Suzuki, but the storage isn‘t my fault though surely? I don’t know I am trying to look at many different ways and please tell me if I’m wrong even if it comes across harsh, I’d rather know.

I will start asking these questions that you put when they reply to my email. Also, is it bad that i signed the indemnity letter? as that was the first thing they sent me in order for me to see the value for the cars.

I dont mind stating the costs In this threat at all just for others to realise that a Admiral can massively inflate the prices of damage cars Especially for a 2014 Suzuki alto! Also, I will be letting you and everyone that reads this thread the outcome that admiral has had.

Might be worth a call to the DVLA to find out about the expired tax for the Golf, just to find out what they allowed.

Sounds like the Golf might have been scrapped.

The Suzuki has been repaired and back on the road, assuming it was written off. I'd challenge Admiral that if you have to pay the full value of the car then why is it still on the road? Did they sell the car and for how much? That amount should be taken off the claim. Or has it already been taken into account?

You need the breakdown of the car hire costs. I'm guessing if the Golf was insured with Admiral they've supplied a cheap hire car.
And maybe the Suzuki related car hire was through an expensive claims management company. The might also explain the recovery and storage costs. Were they necessary? If it was only cosmetic damage why did it need recovery and storage. Was it actually still safely driveable?

You signed the indemnity form on the understanding that Admiral would act in your best interest and keep the costs down. They don't appear to have done that. They take the easy route.

The Golf was parked on the side of the road when I hit. It had no tax as it ran out on the 25th July 2020 but it had an MOT which expired on the 30 September 2020. I hit both cars on the 7th September. The car was not SORN otherwise it wouldnt be on the road.

I dont think the owner failed to renew the tax as the three month extension was for MOT only. However, admiral said that the golf still had valid insurance as they had a 3 month leniency. Not sure how that covers him for being insured if the Golf was on the side of the road with no tax

No excuse for it not to be taxed then.

It should have been SORN and not have been on the road. I'd suggest the owner has contributed to their loss because the car shouldn't have been on the road. Not sure of the legal position but it's a bargaining chip.

Their insurance cover is probably not an issue. It's your policy that needs to pay out.

It does bring into question whether the car was actually roadworthy and whether the owner planned to get it MOT'ed and if it was fit to pass.
What condition was the vehicle in? Did they pay out the full market value?

It depends how you want to play this. Some people want a quick settlement and maybe agree a payment plan. Others might want to fight over every penny and drag it out as long as they can.

If both vehicles have been written off and they are claiming the full market value from you then how can the Suzuki be back on the road?
They are asking you for the full value but they must have sold it on and pocketed the money. If I have understood this correctly I'd be miffed.

Request the damage report and photos, the valuation of the vehicle, the estimate for repairs, why was it a write off, what the amount they paid out.

Lots of stuff to challenge!

Hi depressed dad,
I've followed these threads for a while now. I got convicted for DD in 2014. It's over 6 years now and admiral have started the courts process. Just for everyone else, the statute of limitations doesn't start from the date of the accident, but rather the date of when they pay out the claimants. Admiral have not shared that information with me, however, it was personal injury claims that were paid out, and I happen to know the people, I roughly know the time they got paid. It's getting very close. In fact,a large chunk of the debt they claim I owe them has definitely passed the statute of limitations. But they're still persistent in trying their luck in hopes of me entering a payment plan with them. So I'm currently paying a solicitor to help me fill out the forms correctly ect. Admiral have been extremely poor with regards to how they have handled this case. Their particulars of the case are completely wrong, therefore I'm in a good position. I'm very hopeful, however, I have paid a lot in solicitors fees. Its definitely getting close, as that's why they have started the legal proceedings.

Well Anton that's the first case I know of that's going to court. I'm sure there must have been others but I've not been able to find them.

Are there no claims for damage to property, just personal injury?

They'll keep applying pressure for you to settle before it gets to court.

Are you going to dispute the claim and go to court?

The statute of limitation is interesting and seems a bit fluid with the start and end dates.

Commencement of Limitation Periods​

In most cases, the limitation period expires 6 years from the date that the last event required to complete the cause of action.

Limitation periods commence at the time the cause of action accrues to the claimant: that means that the earliest time that legal proceedings could have been brought. So, every fact – to satisfy each essential ingredient - required to commence an action must have happened before time on the limitation period begins to run.

To assess the matter another way, assume that the claim form is issued on a specific date. The last fact giving rise to the claim must fall within the limitation period prior to the supposed date for filing the claim form.

Limitation periods in tortious claims run from the date damage is sustained by the claimant, rather than the date that the claimant came to know of the damage or discovered the damage.

I assumed the clock started from the date of the accident - that's when the breach of contract happened.
However, the trigger points or start and end of the time period appear to be more fluid than that. The start point seems particularly fluid. Admiral will no doubt try to shift the date as late as possible, claiming they didn't have all the facts to start the claim.

I don't fully understand the technicalities of it but I guess your solicitor will be looking vey closely at the start and end dates.
Is the start when Admiral pay out, or when Admiral have enough facts to bring a claim?

They were pretty incompetent during my son's case so probably a good chance they'll make mistakes that your solicitor can use to your advantage.

Were the PI claimants passengers in your vehicle? If so, was there any contributory negligence?

Presumably they had tried to get you to pay up before starting court action?

It'll be interesting to hear how the case goes.

Well Anton that's the first case I know of that's going to court. I'm sure there must have been others but I've not been able to find them.

Are there no claims for damage to property, just personal injury?

They'll keep applying pressure for you to settle before it gets to court.

Are you going to dispute the claim and go to court?

The statute of limitation is interesting and seems a bit fluid with the start and end dates.

I assumed the clock started from the date of the accident - that's when the breach of contract happened.
However, the trigger points or start and end of the time period appear to be more fluid than that. The start point seems particularly fluid. Admiral will no doubt try to shift the date as late as possible, claiming they didn't have all the facts to start the claim.

I don't fully understand the technicalities of it but I guess your solicitor will be looking vey closely at the start and end dates.
Is the start when Admiral pay out, or when Admiral have enough facts to bring a claim?

They were pretty incompetent during my son's case so probably a good chance they'll make mistakes that your solicitor can use to your advantage.

Were the PI claimants passengers in your vehicle? If so, was there any contributory negligence?

Presumably they had tried to get you to pay up before starting court action?

It'll be interesting to hear how the case goes.
The clock starts from when they paid the individual claimant's, so that's 3 different dates and yes they were passengers in my car. Admiral definitely didn't do a thorough investigation because there were 5 of us in the vehicle and there was only 4 seats and seatbelts available, referring to you point about the negligence on their part. No claims for damage though. Admiral have stated the facts of this case wrong in their court paperwork. I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want somebody from admiral law to read this and realise their errors. But I am hopeful if everything stays the same. I'm almost sure that my 6 years is completely up in November/December time this year. The amount they are asking me for though is huge and I could not repay this. I don't have any savings, asserts ect, my outgoings are my full wage, and they know this, yet still proceed to go ahead with this. They will not lower the amount. I have made offers to do a payment plan, and even a one off lump sum via a friends and family loan but admiral have refused my offers! They want me to commit to a giving access to my outgoings each year and raise the amount I'm paying every year for the next 20 years! I then refused their offer. And it's just been back and forth ever since. Always with the letters, if you don't make a payment in 28 days legal proceedings will be initiated, however this has been going on since 2018 and it's only now that they have actually started this. Their bullying tactics have not worked. I mean they have caused me and my wife countless fall outs and undue stress. But now I'm seeing their incompetence it's making me feel a bit better about the possible outcome. It's either going to run to limitation, get thrown out at court because of their facts, or there will be a CCJ and they will financially cripple me and my family (who have absolutely nothing to do with this, as I never knew my wife when I had this accident). But all I know is that this whole thing with dealing with them will be over by the end of this year!

The clock starts from when they paid the individual claimant's, so that's 3 different dates and yes they were passengers in my car. Admiral definitely didn't do a thorough investigation because there were 5 of us in the vehicle and there was only 4 seats and seatbelts available, referring to you point about the negligence on their part. No claims for damage though. Admiral have stated the facts of this case wrong in their court paperwork. I don't want to go into too much detail because I don't want somebody from admiral law to read this and realise their errors. But I am hopeful if everything stays the same. I'm almost sure that my 6 years is completely up in November/December time this year. The amount they are asking me for though is huge and I could not repay this. I don't have any savings, asserts ect, my outgoings are my full wage, and they know this, yet still proceed to go ahead with this. They will not lower the amount. I have made offers to do a payment plan, and even a one off lump sum via a friends and family loan but admiral have refused my offers! They want me to commit to a giving access to my outgoings each year and raise the amount I'm paying every year for the next 20 years! I then refused their offer. And it's just been back and forth ever since. Always with the letters, if you don't make a payment in 28 days legal proceedings will be initiated, however this has been going on since 2018 and it's only now that they have actually started this. Their bullying tactics have not worked. I mean they have caused me and my wife countless fall outs and undue stress. But now I'm seeing their incompetence it's making me feel a bit better about the possible outcome. It's either going to run to limitation, get thrown out at court because of their facts, or there will be a CCJ and they will financially cripple me and my family (who have absolutely nothing to do with this, as I never knew my wife when I had this accident). But all I know is that this whole thing with dealing with them will be over by the end of this year!

I didn't think my dislike of Admiral could grow any further but it has. It's not only the vexatious nature of their pursuit but the incompetence and inconsistency that goes with it. The amount they end up recouping must be peanuts in the grand scheme of things. I guess in many cases they just push people into bankruptcy or a debt recovery vehicle under which they still only get little or nothing.

Over 4m UK Motor Insurance customers. Annual profits of over £500m.

I have a big issue with the unlimited liability of their DD clause. The vast majority of other motor insurers don't pursue DDs for the third party losses. I wish someone could explain why that is.

I hope your passengers weren't badly injured. The courts will have already punished you for it. Rightly so I would add.

Good luck Anton. Please let us know how it pans out. Your experience could help others.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off