New Car After Licence Return

Convicted Driver Insurance

Luna2000

Established Member
Hi There

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what kind of car to buy after I get my licence back (hopefully October.)

I used to drive a Honda CRV which I gave to my son as I didn't want it sitting in my driveway for 27 months. And no, I didn't ask him for any money. I felt so bad about what I had put him and his mum through for the 2nd time in 2 years, that I gave him a £13k car for free.

I won't have any no claims bonus when I return to driving, so obviously the insurance costs will be a factor, but even for small engined, low value cars I am getting some quotes in the region of £1,000.

Cheers

Hi There

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts on what kind of car to buy after I get my licence back (hopefully October.)

I used to drive a Honda CRV which I gave to my son as I didn't want it sitting in my driveway for 27 months. And no, I didn't ask him for any money. I felt so bad about what I had put him and his mum through for the 2nd time in 2 years, that I gave him a £13k car for free.

I won't have any no claims bonus when I return to driving, so obviously the insurance costs will be a factor, but even for small engined, low value cars I am getting some quotes in the region of £1,000.

Cheers

I found no real difference between a small engine and a medium engine that would make me want to take the downgrade. I was looking at quotes on a small engine (1.6 I think) VW Polo and they were coming back similar to the quotes on my medium engine (3.0) BMW 330d that i ended up going with. Even on large 4.0/5.0+ engines the quotes were all within a few hundred pound of the Polo quote. Low value (less than 2.5k) actually increases the price on insurance, it was once explained to me by a phone representative that drivers of low value cars were higher risk. I disagree but that's the insurance industry.

Address, claim history, NCB and convictions made a hell of a lot of difference compared to the model of car. An address in my home town at parents address vs where I live now made a £200 difference in my favour, explained to me as higher crime rates where my parents live.

I went for VW polo as v low group, amazed at how high some cars are in insurance groups
Worth doing a search of car insurance groups as a start
Length of yr if lives, age , ncb plus usual address etc all impact

Hi There

Cheers
I got my licence back 2 weeks ago. However way back in March I rang a broker to speak to them / get info re relevant factors that would impact on price . Although they couldn’t give me a definitive quote at that time ( I had no licence ) they” mocked up” an application using accurate info eg re offence / length of ban but just different dates , to give me an idea of cost I may be facing . 😃

I got my licence back 2 weeks ago. However way back in March I rang a broker to speak to them / get info re relevant factors that would impact on price . Although they couldn’t give me a definitive quote at that time ( I had no licence ) they” mocked up” an application using accurate info eg re offence / length of ban but just different dates , to give me an idea of cost I may be facing . 😃
I bought a Kia Rio . 1.4 . Modest car but I’m so pleased with it .

I found no real difference between a small engine and a medium engine that would make me want to take the downgrade. I was looking at quotes on a small engine (1.6 I think) VW Polo and they were coming back similar to the quotes on my medium engine (3.0) BMW 330d that i ended up going with. Even on large 4.0/5.0+ engines the quotes were all within a few hundred pound of the Polo quote. Low value (less than 2.5k) actually increases the price on insurance, it was once explained to me by a phone representative that drivers of low value cars were higher risk. I disagree but that's the insurance industry.

Address, claim history, NCB and convictions made a hell of a lot of difference compared to the model of car. An address in my home town at parents address vs where I live now made a £200 difference in my favour, explained to me as higher crime rates where my parents live.
Yes, I agree.

I have been trying this on some comparison sites (and will go Incognito from now on after getting some advice on the forum,) and was surprised about how little difference there was between a smaller engine vehicle and a larger one. Even the value of the car didn't make a massive difference. The mileage seems to be the biggest factor (after the DUI's of course.)

Luna

I was banned for 28 months at the end of February 2019 (yes I'm a HRO!). This was reduced to 21 months after my drink driving course, but I served 22 months off the road because of the DVLA delays. I was very lucky in that I saved my ten years no claims, which are invalid after two years.

I am 41 and presently drive an Audi A4 with a 1.8 litre engine. I rung a few insurance companies when my licence was reinstated and some of the quotes were eye watering. However, I managed to get a really competitive premium with Be Wiser.

I am assuming 2000 isn't your year of birth if you have a grown up son???? I will say that age will be very much on your side when taking out insurance on a car. My own advise when selecting a new motor - go for one that is modest in size and economical. I'm sure you will be fine with something not dissimilar to what I use and it won't break the bank!!!!

CJ

Luna

I was banned for 28 months at the end of February 2019 (yes I'm a HRO!). This was reduced to 21 months after my drink driving course, but I served 22 months off the road because of the DVLA delays. I was very lucky in that I saved my ten years no claims, which are invalid after two years.

I am 41 and presently drive an Audi A4 with a 1.8 litre engine. I rung a few insurance companies when my licence was reinstated and some of the quotes were eye watering. However, I managed to get a really competitive premium with Be Wiser.

I am assuming 2000 isn't your year of birth if you have a grown up son???? I will say that age will be very much on your side when taking out insurance on a car. My own advise when selecting a new motor - go for one that is modest in size and economical. I'm sure you will be fine with something not dissimilar to what I use and it won't break the bank!!!!

CJ
Yes, I'm at the tail end of the baby boomer generation.

I just did a quote online for a £22,500 value car with zero NCD and a 1.5 litre engine.

The cheapest figure I got back was £2,080.

I know I can do better than this and I won't be buying a £22,500 car, but it was fairly high.

Interestingly, I used to be with Admiral and have a 14 year NCD with them. When I went to their website and asked for a quote, it let me get all the way through until the end and then said I would need to call them to discuss it.

However, they ask if you have any NCD up to 3 years ago, which in my case I do and it is with them. They also insured me after my first DUI so I will give them a try when the time is right.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off