Never Ending Nightmare

Convicted Driver Insurance

Sunrise14

I got banned in 2016. My reading was so high, I'm ashamed to write it down. As part of my punishment and probation,I had to attend a AA style group and through that I got offered detox. I completed that in 2016 and have never had a drink since. I didn't take a driving course to get a reduction and took the full punishment of 48 months ban. I've recently been for my medical and DVLA have now written to my GP. I was brutally honest on my medical form and it was quite painful to admit to what I'd done, but thought honesty is the best policy. I'm just waiting for the GP to fill out the forms now. This forum has kept me positive in some really dark times, so thanks to all of you who contribute. What can I expect to happen next and is there a possibility this DVLA nightmare will ever end? Thanks all.

Hi sunrise, when DVLA recieve the DD2 medical form from your GP they will look at your past history such as alcohol detox and AA meetings, I take it these are registered with your GP, and if so then you will be placed more than likely into the dependant bracket which will include on completion of their investigation, 12 months of alcohol abstination and a revoke of your licence for 12 months followed with medical evidence in the terms of LFTs, however if you have not been drinking for years and you have had regular LFT checks then once DVLA confirm you are alcohol dependant then you can send your evidence to the FURTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE route, but you have to go through the process first....

Hi sunrise, when DVLA recieve the DD2 medical form from your GP they will look at your past history such as alcohol detox and AA meetings, I take it these are registered with your GP, and if so then you will be placed more than likely into the dependant bracket which will include on completion of their investigation, 12 months of alcohol abstination and a revoke of your licence for 12 months followed with medical evidence in the terms of LFTs, however if you have not been drinking for years and you have had regular LFT checks then once DVLA confirm you are alcohol dependant then you can send your evidence to the FURTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE route, but you have to go through the process first....
Thanks for your reply Honestman. I've had a couple of blood tests and doctors appointments in the last few years, not drink related and they have asked routinely about alcohol consumption and I've always replied honestly as zero since 2016. Never had an LFT or been required to have one. Am I honestly looking at another 12 months to my ban? I don't know what more I can do!!! The stress of this whole situation sometimes is immense. I'm just hoping for a small light at the end of this never ending tunnel.

If the alcohol information is recorded with your GP then he is duty bound to supply DVLA with this information on the medical report DD2, on completion of that report DVLA will because of detox details and AA meetings class you as dependant which will result in a refusal until you can provide medical evidence for 12 months, I think you'll find the letter will state: because of your alcohol depenence we will only be able to accept an application from you once you have completed 12 months of abstination followed with medical evidence from your GP, or where else you can source it from, however once this letter of refusal arrives there is a paragraph which relates to FUTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE meaning you can now appeal the 12 months revocation as you have evidence that you have been absent from alcohol since 2016, DVLA will now open your case again resulting in you not having to do the 12 months providing your GP has recorded every detail....there's light at the end of the tunnel but in your case you have to fight for it otherwise they will expect 12 months from you ....

If the alcohol information is recorded with your GP then he is duty bound to supply DVLA with this information on the medical report DD2, on completion of that report DVLA will because of detox details and AA meetings class you as dependant which will result in a refusal until you can provide medical evidence for 12 months, I think you'll find the letter will state: because of your alcohol depenence we will only be able to accept an application from you once you have completed 12 months of abstination followed with medical evidence from your GP, or where else you can source it from, however once this letter of refusal arrives there is a paragraph which relates to FUTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE meaning you can now appeal the 12 months revocation as you have evidence that you have been absent from alcohol since 2016, DVLA will now open your case again resulting in you not having to do the 12 months providing your GP has recorded every detail....there's light at the end of the tunnel but in your case you have to fight for it otherwise they will expect 12 months from you ....
Hi, I called my doctor today to make sure my last drink date was recorded (4 years next month) and it was. The doctor was great and then I called the DVLA about LFT's and how many they required. They said that they have received my CDT test results and in my case, LFT's won't be required and are just writing to my GP as a formality as I'm in the 'dependance' category. I'm trying not to get too hopeful, but is it possible that my CDT reading being as low as it can possibly be, not require LFT's from the GP and the DVLA will now just base their decision on the information received from the GP and my CDT results?

Hi , yes anything is possible however if this is your first time to be classed dependant then the 12 months of revocation will apply, once you receive your DVLA letter stating: Important You Must Not Drive, we will only be able to consider an application from you when you have completed 12 months abstination and supplied medical evidence in support of your application but because you have documented medical evidence then there is another address you can use supplied within your letter , you can forward the evidence to FURTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE route, my first DVLA medical CDT was 0.9 and still I was refused.....

Hi , yes anything is possible however if this is your first time to be classed dependant then the 12 months of revocation will apply, once you receive your DVLA letter stating: Important You Must Not Drive, we will only be able to consider an application from you when you have completed 12 months abstination and supplied medical evidence in support of your application but because you have documented medical evidence then there is another address you can use supplied within your letter , you can forward the evidence to FURTHER MEDICAL EVIDENCE route, my first DVLA medical CDT was 0.9 and still I was refused.....
Oh well, still trying to stay hopeful. Did you go down the 'further medical evidence' route yourself?

Oh well, still trying to stay hopeful. Did you go down the 'further medical evidence' route yourself?
Yes I did , ``got to do another 3 DVLA medicals with CDT showing 0.8/0.7//06 thinking I was getting my licence back after each one but was told I had to do 12 months abstination and supply medical evidence, CDT testing formed part of my medical evidence , when you say DVLA have put you in the dependance bracket is this the first time then ?

Yes I did , ``got to do another 3 DVLA medicals with CDT showing 0.8/0.7//06 thinking I was getting my licence back after each one but was told I had to do 12 months abstination and supply medical evidence, CDT testing formed part of my medical evidence , when you say DVLA have put you in the dependance bracket is this the first time then ?
Yes. I was trying to get as much information from the lady at the DVLA, but she just kept saying 'please don't worry' and even gave me a fax number for my GP to send the forms back quicker. My GP won't fax the information as he said it's confidential, but it sounds more positive as the days go by. Probably will get a big fat No, but you have to keep trying I suppose. Nothing to lose and everything to gain 🙂.

Yes. I was trying to get as much information from the lady at the DVLA, but she just kept saying 'please don't worry' and even gave me a fax number for my GP to send the forms back quicker. My GP won't fax the information as he said it's confidential, but it sounds more positive as the days go by. Probably will get a big fat No, but you have to keep trying I suppose. Nothing to lose and everything to gain 🙂.
The thing is you've got past medical history to prove you've been abstaining with a good last drink date this will help you on the further medical evidence route where they will look at your case again, for me I had none tried to get it changed to misuse but at the last hurdle they changed it back to dependance, word of advice though "don't believe what the call advisers quote you they have in `the past and present proved to be unreliable, they promised me the earth, told me I was prioritised all rubbish, and be careful what you tell them they take notes, but for now you're doing well step by step keep me posted sunrise ...../

The thing is you've got past medical history to prove you've been abstaining with a good last drink date this will help you on the further medical evidence route where they will look at your case again, for me I had none tried to get it changed to misuse but at the last hurdle they changed it back to dependance, word of advice though "don't believe what the call advisers quote you they have in `the past and present proved to be unreliable, they promised me the earth, told me I was prioritised all rubbish, and be careful what you tell them they take notes, but for now you're doing well step by step keep me posted sunrise ...../
I will do. And thanks for all your advice.

Hi, I called my doctor today to make sure my last drink date was recorded (4 years next month) and it was. The doctor was great and then I called the DVLA about LFT's and how many they required. They said that they have received my CDT test results and in my case, LFT's won't be required and are just writing to my GP as a formality as I'm in the 'dependance' category. I'm trying not to get too hopeful, but is it possible that my CDT reading being as low as it can possibly be, not require LFT's from the GP and the DVLA will now just base their decision on the information received from the GP and my CDT results?
Sunrise, if the report back from the Dr gives information saying you previously had dependence, but have been abstinent for 4 years then this will be fine to get you licence back - it may be a medical 1 year licence though.

You will not be classed as dependent now, therefore you will not have to go down the Further Medical Evidence route that @Honestman has mentioned, this is if you have been classed as dependent now and you have evidence that you are not. I had to go down this route as the Dr said in my report that I was dependent, but it was a random GP at the surgery and not my GP who filled it in. I spoke to my GP and she agreed that I was not, and never had been dependent and was guilty of misuse. She wrote to DVLA on this basis and it was overturned and my licence returned (albeit that it took ages because of the Covid situation)

Sunrise, if the report back from the Dr gives information saying you previously had dependence, but have been abstinent for 4 years then this will be fine to get you licence back - it may be a medical 1 year licence though.

You will not be classed as dependent now, therefore you will not have to go down the Further Medical Evidence route that @Honestman has mentioned, this is if you have been classed as dependent now and you have evidence that you are not. I had to go down this route as the Dr said in my report that I was dependent, but it was a random GP at the surgery and not my GP who filled it in. I spoke to my GP and she agreed that I was not, and never had been dependent and was guilty of misuse. She wrote to DVLA on this basis and it was overturned and my licence returned (albeit that it took ages because of the Covid situation)
Hi Big Tom. That's positive and good to know, thank you. But until my licence is in my hand, I'll just keep pushing on. There's not really much more I can do now, but wait and watch the days/weeks tick by until a decision has been made. Thanks for the advice though 👍.

Hi Big Tom. That's positive and good to know, thank you. But until my licence is in my hand, I'll just keep pushing on. There's not really much more I can do now, but wait and watch the days/weeks tick by until a decision has been made. Thanks for the advice though 👍.
[/QUOTEkeep us updated sunrise ....

So, an update on my situation. Had my medical 22 September. All ok and no issues as I quit alcohol in Nov 2016, last stated drink with doctor is Nov 2016. Dvla said they were writing to my doctor. After two weeks and speaking with my doctor, still no form received. Called dvla again who sent another form. After another two weeks, still not received. This is now an extra MONTH after medical and ban ended in May. Called dvla AGAIN who emailed form across. After being told by them this was just a formality, I have now been told to book an LFT at my local hospital for further tests but no information on how many they require. The stress of this is becoming unbearable. Would it be worth me going to stage 1 complaint procedure as I can never see this ending?

I would make a stage 1 complaint, but book a LFT as a backup.
Thank you price1367. I have just submitted my complaint. I will not give up on this. The dvla I feel, are trying to break all of us in this situation into giving up. They won't break me!

So, an update on my situation. Had my medical 22 September. All ok and no issues as I quit alcohol in Nov 2016, last stated drink with doctor is Nov 2016. Dvla said they were writing to my doctor. After two weeks and speaking with my doctor, still no form received. Called dvla again who sent another form. After another two weeks, still not received. This is now an extra MONTH after medical and ban ended in May. Called dvla AGAIN who emailed form across. After being told by them this was just a formality, I have now been told to book an LFT at my local hospital for further tests but no information on how many they require. The stress of this is becoming unbearable. Would it be worth me going to stage 1 complaint procedure as I can never see this ending?

I am presuming the only reason you are being asked to go for one Of these tests is because of the information you have provided honestly.

Surely the fact you have your last date recorded with your GP should be enough?

I am presuming the only reason you are being asked to go for one Of these tests is because of the information you have provided honestly.

Surely the fact you have your last date recorded with your GP should be enough?
Grantyone, they haven't even received the form back from my doctor yet as it finally arrived by email on Friday. So they haven't even reviewed my doctor's report which will confirm my last drink date and anything else they want to know. It's like no matter how much evidence you give them, they still want more. I've booked my LFT which is another two weeks away, but once they've received that, it wouldn't surprise me if they asked for another 3 or 4 over 12 months. The whole system is so floored and unfair.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off