Need some advice

Convicted Driver Insurance

Boogalach

Hi all,

I made a horrible mistake and was arrested for drink driving. I blew 87 on the breathalyser and have also been charged with doing 66 mph on a 40 mph dual carriageway. My court date is next Tuesday. I just have a few questions.

1. The speeding charge (contrary to sections 86(1) and 89(1) of the road traffic regulation act 1984 and schedule 2 to the road traffic offenders act 1988) because this was added as a separate charge, does that mean that I will be given a more severe penalty? I'm aware I will have my license banned and aware that there will be a fine(I would rather a fine than community service) however will this separate charge mean a harsher penalty?
  2. I'm a Maths teacher at the moment I have a clean record apart from this and have left the school I'm at now to pursue a school closer to my home. Do you know how this will affect my career options in teaching?
  3. I want to submit a plea of mitigation on the basis of remorse(I was meant to start work as a detective for the MET but that has been revoked, I'm getting married next year and this is going to cause a lot of problems with the planning) good standing (my life's work has been to help people hence why I'm a teacher and decided to become a detective, I will also provide two character references) Clean record (have never been convicted before and it's my first and last time in a jail cell) as well as the fact that my parents rely on me to take them shopping every week. Will this be a strong enough case for mitigation?
  4. What is the procedure in court?
Thank you for taking the time out to read this post.

Hi.

So a lot depends on you representation but in general...

1.The fact that you were speeding will be an aggravating factor of the offence and an argument could be made for you not getting a separate penalty for speeding.

2. I cant really answer that as its not a legal question but I'm sure from a practical point of view it will be harder to get a job with a conviction for drink driving.

3. Mitigation is obviously important and is what may keep it to a fine instead of community punishment.

4. Depends if represented or not. If you have a lawyer they will deal with the procedure and obviously speak for you. If you represent yourself you need to book yourself into the Court and they will explain the steps in that Court to you.

Kind regards
Martin.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off