Nearly there!

Convicted Driver Insurance

Rosie

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,
Have to say this forum is godsend for advice and support and Ive learned many things and empathise with loads of people on here.
Im currently 35 months into a 40 month ban for first (and last I hasten to add!) Drink driving ban.

It was a mortifying experience for me and what made it worse was that it not only hit the local papers, but due to a reporter in the courtroom, it managed to make a half page news story.... so going into work the following day was not a very pleasant experience.... as if I didnt feel ashamed and embarrassed enough!

For those of you who are starting out on your ban, I just want to say that its amazing how quickly you adapt to using public transport, I had been driving for 22 years so getting a bus was a new experience for me.... on leaving the courts i literally didnt have a clue how to get home and honestly thought buses would be like metro's and i naively thought they would automatically stop at every bus stop.. it wasnt until watching someone put their hand out to signal the driver to stop that it dawned on me they would just go straight past! lol... what a numpty :)

It has been difficult at times, and Ive had my "down" moments, especially in situations where you have a sick pet and no transport to the vets meant relying on taxis, and cancelling holidays for three years due to no way of getting pets to boarding kennels and basically just feeling very isolated.
There are times when you do feel pretty angry too (I still think the courts came down rather heavy on me, as the 2 months 7pm-7am tagging/curfew was a bit OTT and doesnt really fit the crime? I mean, after all the danger to myself/public was me behind the wheel after drinking... so take away the licence then you take away the danger, I still dont see the relevance of "tagging" in relation to drink driving, I would have thought community service was more appropriate).

Anyway, I know there has been lots of discussions regarding the medical and i was wondering do I have to contact the DVLA near the end of the ban, or do they automatically contact me?

i was a bit disappointed to read that i have to wait another two years before i can hire a car, as i had this lovely thought of surprising my mum (who isnt aware my ban ends in April) one afternoon by driving up to see her, but i guess ive waited this long.

Anyway thanks for listening and best wishes to everyone.

Anyway, I know there has been lots of discussions regarding the medical and i was wondering do I have to contact the DVLA near the end of the ban, or do they automatically contact me?

If you are a high risk offender you can submit your application for a driving licence 90 days before your driving disqualification is due to end (56 days if not a HRO).

In theory the DVLA will send you a renewal reminder in the post, however people often report they don't receive these reminders or they receive them late. You can pick up a D1 application pack at your local post office or order one online to be delivered to you.

It is a good idea to get the D1 application yourself and send it off as early as possible, especially if you are a high risk offender as the whole medical enquiry process can take some time and the last thing you want is being unable to drive after your disqualification has ended because the DVLA medical process is still ongoing.

Once you submit the application and if you are a HRO the DVLA will contact you about arranging the medical with one of their appointed doctors.

If you are a high risk offender you can submit your application for a driving licence 90 days before your driving disqualification is due to end (56 days if not a HRO).

In theory the DVLA will send you a renewal reminder in the post, however people often report they don't receive these reminders or they receive them late. You can pick up a D1 application pack at your local post office or order one online to be delivered to you.

It is a good idea to get the D1 application yourself and send it off as early as possible, especially if you are a high risk offender as the whole medical enquiry process can take some time and the last thing you want is being unable to drive after your disqualification has ended because the DVLA medical process is still ongoing.

Once you submit the application and if you are a HRO the DVLA will contact you about arranging the medical with one of their appointed doctors.

Thank you so much for that, yes i had read some people's stories on here that they were delayed getting their licence back for months after their ban due to ongoing medical processes so i will definitely contact them in January, as that will be 90 days before my ban ends.
Yes, im classed as an HRO due to receiving a 12 month ban in 2008 due to driving after taking codeine tablets for toothache.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off