My Worst Mistake

Convicted Driver Insurance
Morning all,

Approx 1 week ago I did one of the most stupid decisions of my life. Given the nature of this forum, you can guess what I did.

I did a 1.5 mile round trip, got home and realised what I had done and the gravity set in. Now this is where I am guilt ridden and am seeking advice. Nothing happened! I did my round trip, wasn't caught, stopped or anything - but every waking moment is felt with like I'm going to be arrested, and ruin mine and my family life. Yesterday, a police car pulled up to a house a few doors down and I thought that's it and had a panic attack. A few minutes after they left (no car was on the drive and note they did not stop outside my house).

I know I am being stupid and working myself up - I just want to know what could happen to me in terms of being caught / arrested / sent to jail etc. I know nothing happened, but my brain is going into overdrive saying 'what if you hit someone', 'what if you killed someone', 'what if you crashed into someone'. Again, I am sure this did not happen and I am working myself up.

Some advice would be well received.

Morning all,

Approx 1 week ago I did one of the most stupid decisions of my life. Given the nature of this forum, you can guess what I did.

I did a 1.5 mile round trip, got home and realised what I had done and the gravity set in. Now this is where I am guilt ridden and am seeking advice. Nothing happened! I did my round trip, wasn't caught, stopped or anything - but every waking moment is felt with like I'm going to be arrested, and ruin mine and my family life. Yesterday, a police car pulled up to a house a few doors down and I thought that's it and had a panic attack. A few minutes after they left (no car was on the drive and note they did not stop outside my house).

I know I am being stupid and working myself up - I just want to know what could happen to me in terms of being caught / arrested / sent to jail etc. I know nothing happened, but my brain is going into overdrive saying 'what if you hit someone', 'what if you killed someone', 'what if you crashed into someone'. Again, I am sure this did not happen and I am working myself up.

quick answer .. nothing can happen to you, just maybe don't do it again..

quick answer .. nothing can happen to you, just maybe don't do it again..
Hi James,

Thank for this. I spent some time looking through this thread and found this: Could the police charge me on CCTV evidence alone? | Drinkdriving.org

So I am convinced CCTV of me in a pub and then me driving could be used. (Got a cab home from the pub ironically)! I know this is all very highly unlikely, I am just guilt ridden, depressed and scared. With the police car stopping a couple of doors down, I think that just pushed me over the edge. I then decided they stopped a few doors down to not cause suspicion and then didn't knock because there was no car on my drive.

As for doing it again - not a chance. I think I will forever beat myself up for this.

Last edited:
Morning all,

Be thankful nothing did and move on , not doing it again x

I did something similar not to long ago after a heavy day's drinking and the 'fear' stayed with me for days! You can't help but overthink what could of if anything did happen. Puts the fear of god in you but the fact that we feel like this means that we know it was wrong and won't happen again. Police can't do anything after the event.

I did something similar not to long ago after a heavy day's drinking and the 'fear' stayed with me for days! You can't help but overthink what could of if anything did happen. Puts the fear of god in you but the fact that we feel like this means that we know it was wrong and won't happen again. Police can't do anything after the event.
I for one will never attempt it again.. 12 hours in a cell and this waiting for court date is killing me .... I'm at my witts end

Thanks everyone for their words. I have a reply further up but it is being held for moderation (because of a link I think).

I spent some time looking through this thread and found a thread titled: Could the police charge me on CCTV evidence alone? The answers were 'Yes, if enough circumstantial evidence was presented.

So I am convinced CCTV of me in a pub and then me driving could be used. (Got a cab home from the pub ironically)! I know this is all very highly unlikely, I am just guilt ridden, depressed and scared. With the police car stopping a couple of doors down, I think that just pushed me over the edge. I then decided they stopped a few doors down to not cause suspicion and then didn't knock because there was no car on my drive.

As for doing it again - not a chance. I think I will forever beat myself up for this.

Ah, makes more sense now. I still think u will be OK, might have been different if u had had an accident. But even with cctv they will lack proof of how much u drank and how much it effected you. Try to relax, stressing won't help and its highly unlikely they will pursue you.

Thanks everyone for their words. I have a reply further up but it is being held for moderation (because of a link I think).

I spent some time looking through this thread and found a thread titled: Could the police charge me on CCTV evidence alone? The answers were 'Yes, if enough circumstantial evidence was presented.

Definitly overthinking this pal. I think the police are persuing much more pressing matters then trolling through CCTV of somebody who may or may not of drunkdrove. In any case there is no evidence and nothing to suggest that you were over the limit. I've been there irts horrible, but as the days pass the fear will go.

Here’s what I think will happen.

The police that knocked on a door or two away from you are well onto you.

Bored of eating donuts, catching speeding motorists, generally not solving crime, beating up climate protesters meanwhile standing by while sex-offending colleagues expose themselves in McDonalds and then go onto abduct, violate and murder women in London (and then try forlornly to off themselves while on bail), yes I think they got bored.

And then they either decided to act upon heresay that hasn’t happened, simultaneously deciding that a national 9% crime clean-up rate is - in fact - far less serious. Better decision-making process that it clearly isn’t, they then decided to sit outside your house, ask your local pub for CCTV evidence as to your every move, and then find the time analyse it quite forensically; in between busting every other local criminal in your area.

They did this to the extent that they sent the footage to a nearby government CCTV analysis lab, to ensure that every drop of alcohol you purchased actually did pass your lips via spectral analysis of the footage.

Not content with that, they then sent the footage to whomever succeeded Steve Jobs at Apple, and subpoenad your phone data to prove that your crime was indeed a crime. They can place you in that pub.

I’d be amazed if satellite footage of your movements - courtesy of the FiveEyes government agreement we have with the US, NZ, Canada and possibly even Australia (if they can be bothered to open the email) - hasn’t been used to reinforce the evidence against you.

Make no mistake, they’re onto you.

Next it will be the water utility that they contact, to analyse the content of your wastewater to further prove your guilt in court when they eventually find the time (in between ludicrous amounts of being understaffed and the paperwork this brings), to analyse the alcohol content of the water, each and every time they flush the bog. If you have one of those new-build, fancy toilets that prevent the lid from being dropped with any significant force, I’m afraid the news gets worse. They timestamp each flush, and feed it back to the National Crime Database. I’m not too sure if it’s actually happened yet but they are also working on technology that will cross-reference your piss DNA with a fingerprint scanner on the flusher. Yes that’s the world that we live in. Scary times isn’t it.

They’ve also contacted everyone you know to verify this in the hope that they will catch you.

Or I could just be wrong and you’re overthinking this.

Yes, definitely the latter.

Learn from it and move on. :)

Bored of eating donuts, catching speeding motorists, generally not solving crime, beating up climate protesters meanwhile standing by while sex-offending colleagues expose themselves in McDonalds and then go onto abduct, violate and murder women in London (and then try forlornly to off themselves while on bail), yes I think they got bored.

And then they either decided to act upon heresay that hasn’t happened, simultaneously deciding that a national 9% crime clean-up rate is - in fact - far less serious. Better decision-making process that it clearly isn’t, they then decided to sit outside your house, ask your local pub for CCTV evidence as to your every move, and then find the time analyse it quite forensically; in between busting every other local criminal in your area.

They did this to the extent that they sent the footage to a nearby government CCTV analysis lab, to ensure that every drop of alcohol you purchased actually did pass your lips via spectral analysis of the footage.

Not content with that, they then sent the footage to whomever succeeded Steve Jobs at Apple, and subpoenad your phone data to prove that your crime was indeed a crime. They can place you in that pub.

I’d be amazed if satellite footage of your movements - courtesy of the FiveEyes government agreement we have with the US, NZ, Canada and possibly even Australia (if they can be bothered to open the email) - hasn’t been used to reinforce the evidence against you.

Next it will be the water utility that they contact, to analyse the content of your wastewater to further prove your guilt in court when they eventually find the time (in between ludicrous amounts of being understaffed and the paperwork this brings), to analyse the alcohol content of the water, each and every time they flush the bog. If you have one of those new-build, fancy toilets that prevent the lid from being dropped with any significant force, I’m afraid the news gets worse. They timestamp each flush, and feed it back to the National Crime Database. I’m not too sure if it’s actually happened yet but they are also working on technology that will cross-reference your piss DNA with a fingerprint scanner on the flusher. Yes that’s the world that we live in. Scary times isn’t it.

They’ve also contacted everyone you know to verify this in the hope that they will catch you.

Sundog you ******* o_O

Not sure I've ever gone from my heart dropping to the lowest it's been (reading that 2nd line) to laughing out loud! I will say thank you for this as it really did make me smile (and yes, I realise how much of an idiot I am). It's funny the guilt cycle and what it does to you.

There will be CCTV of me in a pub drinking X amount of pints. Getting a taxi to my home address (would be easy to find out from CCTV the cab company where I was dropped of). Then X amount of time after, myself driving a car a 1.5 mile round trip. (I guess this is where there is a break of events) Like I know how I would catch myself (but I'm the one that did it - if it makes sense). Yes I'm being silly and I'm sure eventually I will relax and just forget about it, but not doing the same stupid mistake ever again. Never did I think the effort it would take to do this and then remember what the police are like in the UK!

When I read the other thread titled 'Could the police charge me on CCTV evidence alone?', I guess with what I said it would be - but I myself do not know the law.

Again, sorry for the long message and a sincere thanks to every one who has replied. I'm sure I'll feel better eventually.

I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist. :)

Just do learn from it, and in future try your best not to put yourself in the position so many of us here regrettably find ourselves in. It’s really not a place you want to be.

Take care :D

Brilliant!

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off