My drink driving ban near to end by 12 feb, how long does it take to get my license back when I apply?

Convicted Driver Insurance

joe pasha

Well Known Member
I was ban for drink driving and I am about to apply for my license as it near to end 12 Feb my disqualification.
How long will it take to get your License after you send the new application form plus fee to DVLA?

many thanks

You can apply for your licence back 2 months before your ban is up. (3 months if you are a high risk offender and need a medical)
Think about how long you had your licence before you were banned, because you will get your licence back for the number of years your photo is still valid, so if it is 6 years old, you will only got a 4 year licence back. If you submit a new photo with your application you will get the full 19 year one.
Usually for a straightforward application the licence is back in about 2 weeks. You should check the date on the licence as that is the first date on which you can drive.

Thanks price
I was only a new Driver and passed my licence January 2019 and lost December 2019
I think I’m fine for pictures and etc
By the way I am Not HRO

thanks

Ok, I was just clarifyying the position for
Other people reading the thread who might be.

Ok, I was just clarifyying the position for
Other people reading the thread who might be.
So, let’s say I apply now, do they send my licence even though I am still ban until the 12 or not?
Or they sending the licence, but putting a date which I can only drive from this date?

The second one, even if your licence arrived tomorrow, you have to stick to the “valid from” date on the new licence

When they send you your license it will be valid from when your ban ends. From that date you can drive again - providing you have valid insurance and a valid car to drive (check the mot status!)
Congrats on getting your license back mate!

When they send you your license it will be valid from when your ban ends. From that date you can drive again - providing you have valid insurance and a valid car to drive (check the mot status!)
Congrats on getting your license back mate!
Thanks very much mate it’s been so hard for me specially I was abroad since I was banned and really needed car but because of my foolish mistake which I have learned I could not drive!
Thank got I’ll get it and never do that again.
Specially me I have never been police station and never had any criminal record.
But getting my first Criminal record with being drunk and drive :((
Anyway lesson is learned now.

So, it is possible they send my licence before my ban ends then?

I know I can drive until my ban is finish, but I wanna know if they sending me early?

The window to apply is 56 days before the ban ends, so some people do apply 8 weeks before their ban ends. Given a week to receive and process the application, the licence is normally received within 2 weeks of that. They do not wait till the week the licence is due to return it. BUT, check the DATE from when it is valid!

Hi everyone,

so, I got my D1 form and just need some help with few questions.
Do I need to attach a photo as my licence wasn’t that old
I had it only for 1 year and then disqualified for drink driving!
What is the fee, I can see in the form
After being disqualified for some drink Driving £90
After disqualifIcation £65
Do I need to send them any pr of identity?

thanks

When you get your licence back, it will run out 10 years from when the photo on it was first used, so if you had your licence for a year, been banned for a year, then you will get an 8 year licence back.
If you submit a photo with the application then you will get a full 10 year one.
The £90 fee is for High Risk Offenders who have to have a medical.
’Ordinary’ drink drivers have to pay £65.
There is no proof of ID needed with the application.

Thanks price as always.
Now, how can I send them the licence fee?
Can I take it to local post office and pay them
As I don’t have a cheque!

i went today to my local coop post office.
very miserable old lady rude, unprofessional, unhelpful sitting inside behind the counter.
is like someone forced her in this corona time to come and work there!
she did not even call me next please, can i help or etc... just sitting there!
i said to her, can i come over?
i hand in my application, and i wanted ask a question she did not even listen to me and said
i don't know because this is not our job!

i said fine, can i pay now? she said only cash or cheque and there is £8 fees from us.
earlier i wanted ask her what is postal order number, which she did not allowed me to ask her!

and is looks like this was postal order number and you can only pay cash and there is £8 fees on top of it.

A Typical....
now, could someone tell me please what was going here today, why there is a £8 fee and i could not pay with my CC or DC
if i go to main post office is it still same?

thanks

At the post office they do a ‘check and send’ service, which they charge for, where they make sure that the form has been completed correctly and sent it on a fast service to DVLA.
BUT DVLA are not accepting applications at the moment unless you are a key worker, see the banner at the top of the page explaining this. If you send your application in, it will just be put in a pile and may take ages to be processed. You should wait until DVLA say that they are accepting applications and it will probably be dealt with quicker than applications sent now when they have said not to apply.
When you can apply, go to the post office and ask for a postal order, but there is a fee of about £8.20p and send it off yourself.... so actually it would be cheaper to pay the post office check and send service of £8 and pay cash.

sorry about not replying on 27th January, Joe, I did not see your question.

At the post office they do a ‘check and send’ service, which they charge for, where they make sure that the form has been completed correctly and sent it on a fast service to DVLA.
BUT DVLA are not accepting applications at the moment unless you are a key worker, see the banner at the top of the page explaining this. If you send your application in, it will just be put in a pile and may take ages to be processed. You should wait until DVLA say that they are accepting applications and it will probably be dealt with quicker than applications sent now when they have said not to apply.
When you can apply, go to the post office and ask for a postal order, but there is a fee of about £8.20p and send it off yourself.... so actually it would be cheaper to pay the post office check and send service of £8 and pay cash.

Hi price,I've spoken with the dvla yesterday and today about my dg10 conviction,weather or not I need a medical,on both occasions I was told no am down for just a renewal,no medical needed,and I was told to send my application in by tracked postal services,maybe there starting to move a little.

The Official DVLA advice has not changed from what is shown at the top of the page, So if you do send it off now you run the risk of it being held up, it is up to you if you want to take the risk. They are processing some applications but is seems to only be for people who have identified with them as key workers. Good luck...

Many thanks price, i will wait and also keep an eye on dvla webiste

Dvla sent me a letter mid March that they were going to contact my doctor (HRO), and I’m still waiting.
looks like everyone has been furloughed and minimal staff.
so sadly, I’m going to have to wait it out until they are back in work. Gutted.

Dvla sent me a letter mid March that they were going to contact my doctor (HRO), and I’m still waiting.
looks like everyone has been furloughed and minimal staff.
so sadly, I’m going to have to wait it out until they are back in work. Gutted.
Are you HRO!

The Official DVLA advice has not changed from what is shown at the top of the page, So if you do send it off now you run the risk of it being held up, it is up to you if you want to take the risk. They are processing some applications but is seems to only be for people who have identified with them as key workers. Good luck...
Hello price,

I see another banner at the top the page, DVLA now processing paper application.

Does it mean everyone can send their application?
Thanks

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off