My DD story

Convicted Driver Insurance

Cazo25

So I went out with a friend and drank a lot. We went our seperate ways and I got behind the wheel.

I ended up deciding to drive my car about a mile, during which time a taxi driver began to follow me and called the police as to my driving.

I pulled over seeing a car behind me, and felt relieved it was a taxi. The taxi driver got out and was yelling at me about my driving and said he was calling the police, so I decided to leave my car and walk home.

However, I realised I left my wallet and my phone in my car, so foolishly walked back to it to get them. At the point I was about to get back into my car, the police came from nowhere and arrested me there and then for drunk in charge.

I blew 99 at the station and chose to see the duty solicitor. They told me I was being charged with drink driving as the police had seen dashcam footage of only one person behind the wheel and the person who the taxi man saw get out the car matched my discription - he provided a statement to that effect.

I did a no comment interview and after a gruelling 17 hours in a cell with a horror hangover I was let go (with DD charge in hand)

I am being charged in December and would like to know what kind of sentence to expect. I also understand that as I blew above 87.5, I am classed as a 'high risk offender'

In terms of mitigating factors, this my first charge, I complied entirely, I think I can get some good character references, I am very remourseful and deeply ashamed of what I have done. I am also planning on getting a solicitor to help me at court, but also would like to personally say a few words if it helps.

In terms of aggravating factrs, I worry about the standard of driving, but I didn't hit anythng or anyone etc.

Just anxious to know my likely charge as I blew quite a high reading!!! Especially considering the community order which i'm not looking forward to - is this given in every case? I also hope my disq is on the lower end but I guess it'll be 23 months at the minimum?

PS. If anyone has any experience about qaulifying as a solicitor with a drink driving charge, I would be interested to hear your thoughts, as I am currently working in a (admin) role in a firm and studying the LPC (I have informed my firm of the charge)

Thanks all for this forum, it really helps!!

Last edited:
You ar right about the ban, the guidelines are a 23-28 month ban for that reading, and a medical at the end before you get your licence back. This can be reduced by up to 25% if you are offered a Drink Drive Rehabilitation course. Ask for it if you are not offered one, as it cannot be offered once your case is finished in court.
The court will consider a community penalty but that will depend on your suitability and these days, the availability of community service hours in your area. Quite a few areas, and especially in Scotland, there is a shortage of hours / placements available.
A conviction for drink driving will not prevent you from becoming a solicitor but it will show up for 11 years on a DBS check when you seek employment. Earlier than that, it will come up when you are judged on your suitability for the LPC training and you will have to disclose it to the organisation you are training with.
There is some advice on that here:

Unless you are getting the solicitor to represent you for free, why do you want one at court? Most people want one because they are terrified of speaking in court, but you say you want to say a few words yourself (you can do this, even if you have a solicitor) as well.
Unless the solicitor is free, save your money towards the fine.

Hi, I crashed my car into the back of a lorry last week and I blew 100. I am waiting on court and I am terrified I am going to prison due to the circumstance and my reading. I can’t sleep or eat I haven’t left my house. The lorry was not damaged just the front of my car quite bad. No one was hurt which I am so grateful for! Will I go to prison? I don’t care what punishment I get re fine or ban I deserve it completely, I just can’t get prison out of my head. The police officers were really nice to me as I was a nervous wreck and I was straight up and honest with them from the second it happened. Does anyone have any advice?

Hi, I crashed my car into the back of a lorry last week and I blew 100. I am waiting on court and I am terrified I am going to prison due to the circumstance and my reading. I can’t sleep or eat I haven’t left my house. The lorry was not damaged just the front of my car quite bad. No one was hurt which I am so grateful for! Will I go to prison? I don’t care what punishment I get re fine or ban I deserve it completely, I just can’t get prison out of my head. The police officers were really nice to me as I was a nervous wreck and I was straight up and honest with them from the second it happened. Does anyone have any advice?
Relax.....you wont be going to prison....just a hefty ban like i got after blowing 112..

If it’s your first offence I’d say don’t waste time worrying .

Relax.....you wont be going to prison....just a hefty ban like i got after blowing 112..
Did you crash? Did you get a community service thing also? How long was your ban for? Also did you take any character references in with you?

no i didnt.......just pleaded guilty.....got it over and done with....accepted my ban...and got on with my life...as you should too....everyone on here has made the same mistake...dont5 let it define your life...

Naish, I hit 3 parked cars, had my child in the car and blew over 100. From what I’ve read, prison is unlikely for me (I hope) so I would think it’s extremely unlikely for you.
I’m in court in December. The guilt and the shame is very difficult to come to terms with, but I fully accept responsibility.

Naish, I hit 3 parked cars, had my child in the car and blew over 100. From what I’ve read, prison is unlikely for me (I hope) so I would think it’s extremely unlikely for you.
I’m in court in December. The guilt and the shame is very difficult to come to terms with, but I fully accept responsibility.
The guilt , shame and being banned from driving are the punishment. It’s understandable for people to think route one and to go to prison but the fact is it doesn’t happen. If it did the prisons would literally be unable to cope .

I’m very keen to see how a certain former glamour model gets on with her sentence on Dec 15th …. Her driving record is enough to get her a custodial sentence .. however I doubt it will happen.

Hi all, thanks for replies. @Naish I was litterally thinking like this when it all happened. I thought they would be sending me to the dogs.

I'm most concerned about my career, how it will effect it long term. Thank you @price1367 for the info. Indeed I do expect a decent ban but fingers crossed they'll water down the community order

The worst part of it all for me was the cell, it was genuinely the worst day of my life. I was traumatised for like a week afterwards, still am now a litte. I completely broke down when I was let out that godforsaken place

The guilt , shame and being banned from driving are the punishment. It’s understandable for people to think route one and to go to prison but the fact is it doesn’t happen. If it did the prisons would literally be unable to cope .

I’m very keen to see how a certain former glamour model gets on with her sentence on Dec 15th …. Her driving record is enough to get her a custodial sentence .. however I doubt it will happen.
her court date is the same day as mine!!! lols

Hi all, thanks for replies. @Naish I was litterally thinking like this when it all happened. I thought they would be sending me to the dogs.

I'm most concerned about my career, how it will effect it long term. Thank you @price1367 for the info. Indeed I do expect a decent ban but fingers crossed they'll water down the community order

The worst part of it all for me was the cell, it was genuinely the worst day of my life. I was traumatised for like a week afterwards, still am now a litte. I completely broke down when I was let out that godforsaken place
Didn’t you have a lasagna or curry and a cup of tea whilst you were incarcerated 🤣🤣🤣honestly the lasagne is by far the best In most stations I’ve been in 🥳

Didn’t you have a lasagna or curry and a cup of tea whilst you were incarcerated 🤣🤣🤣honestly the lasagne is by far the best In most stations I’ve been in 🥳
I had a cereal bar and a cold gingsters pasty lol.

Na my hangover was so rough and I was so dehydrated I practically had to beg for more water. That button press water every 15 minutes contraption is straight out of hell

I had a cereal bar and a cold gingsters pasty lol.

Na my hangover was so rough and I was so dehydrated I practically had to beg for more water. That button press water every 15 minutes contraption is straight out of hell
🤣🤣 yes a hangover In a cell is a double hangover !!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off