Moved abroad disqual, want license back

Convicted Driver Insurance

hfa

Hey.

I moved abroad during my disqualification period, and living in a city with good transit connections, never really missed my license. Now I want it back for international travel purposes, my disqualification period is over, I have to go for the medical review before they will give my my license back. So under normal circumstances I should have re-applied for license upon moving to my host country, but is this possible under a disqualified license? Or I think first I need UK to re-issue me right? So I'd have to visit UK, sit the medical, use my parents address, then as soon as it's issued exchange it for a new license in my host country?

Also my parents don't know I got disqual, so it's a bit weird if I go over to visit, receive all these letters with "DVLA" on the envelope, go off for medical appointments, and ask them to redirect my mail.

Anything I can do to simplify? Thanks.

In a word: “no” you have summarised the process nicely. You have to regain your U.K. licence before you can look to exchange it abroad.
Your problem is made worse by the DVLA strikes and the protracted nature of the medical process. You would not get all this done in one visit and could involve several.
Depending on your medical and the circumstances of your offence, DVLA may want to make enquiries with your GP, are you still registered with a GP here because otherwise this could present problems?…….

In a word: “no” you have summarised the process nicely. You have to regain your U.K. licence before you can look to exchange it abroad.
Your problem is made worse by the DVLA strikes and the protracted nature of the medical process. You would not get all this done in one visit and could involve several.
Depending on your medical and the circumstances of your offence, DVLA may want to make enquiries with your GP, are you still registered with a GP here because otherwise this could present problems?…….
Thanks for your response! So I'm on a good track, and DVLA won't make problems / refuse to issue me a license as non-resident now, but still corresponding with me thru UK address?

Should still be registered at a GP, so that shouldn't be an issue, and they have no history there so shouldn't be any red-flags.

If you admit you are non resident then they will refuse to go through with the application…..
You use your parents address, which is fine if you can normally be contacted via that address.
When you get the details for the medical, you have 12 weeks to book and actually have the medical so that should give you time to return for it.

If you admit you are non resident then they will refuse to go through with the application…..
You use your parents address, which is fine if you can normally be contacted via that address.
When you get the details for the medical, you have 12 weeks to book and actually have the medical so that should give you time to return for it.
Perfect, thanks for your help :)

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off