Misuse medical timescale

Convicted Driver Insurance

DD123456

Hi my 1 year license is up in mid September (alcohol misuse on GP record a few years ago), I understand I will need to do another medical. Just want to know what the procedure is this time round, will I get sent a letter from the DVLA to book the medical? If so what’s the timeline for this should I expect it soon?

I have a holiday next week and plan to have a few drinks and then completely abstain after. I’m not a heavy drinker at home usually, just a couple of bottles of beer a week maximum. Would this be cutting it a bit fine? Would ideally want 4-6 weeks to abstain but not sure how early the DVLA request the medical.

Thanks

Hi my 1 year license is up in mid September (alcohol misuse on GP record a few years ago), I understand I will need to do another medical. Just want to know what the procedure is this time round, will I get sent a letter from the DVLA to book the medical? If so what’s the timeline for this should I expect it soon?

I have a holiday next week and plan to have a few drinks and then completely abstain after. I’m not a heavy drinker at home usually, just a couple of bottles of beer a week maximum. Would this be cutting it a bit fine? Would ideally want 4-6 weeks to abstain but not sure how early the DVLA request the medical.

Thanks
Yes, you will be able to drive under section 88, providing you have the okay from your doctor (get them to write you a note if you can, stating you are fit and well to drive.) With your licence up for renewal in September, the DVLA should send you another application form to renew your licence, and then the appropriate forms to book another medical (on their expense, I know this for fact) 90 days before your current licence expires.

Not 100% on the fee for renewal of licence, but pretty sure it's no cost?

Hope this helps. My license due to run out in November, so I should be getting the ball rolling in August, and hope I don't have any complications driving on section 88 cos it seems inevitable atm!!

EDIT. can also see you have asked this question multiple times. Hope it's answered now! 🤗

Last edited:
Hi,

Yes, you will be able to drive under section 88, providing you have the okay from your doctor (get them to write you a note if you can, stating you are fit and well to drive.) With your licence up for renewal in September, the DVLA should send you another application form to renew your licence, and then the appropriate forms to book another medical (on their expense, I know this for fact) 90 days before your current licence expires.

Not 100% on the fee for renewal of licence, but pretty sure it's no cost?

Hope this helps. My license due to run out in November, so I should be getting the ball rolling in August, and hope I don't have any complications driving on section 88 cos it seems inevitable atm!!
Thanks that’s super helpful. So the prior to 2013 bit on the s88 won’t affect me as my temporary license would now fall under the medical license (not HRO anymore) is that right? So as long as my GP is happy I can continue to drive?

Thanks that’s super helpful. So the prior to 2013 bit on the s88 won’t affect me as my temporary license would now fall under the medical license (not HRO anymore) is that right? So as long as my GP is happy I can continue to drive?
Yes that is correct, as you have already been issued a licence, you are no longer HRO

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off