Medical?

Convicted Driver Insurance

Willoughby

I've seen there's a lot of posts on here relating to having to take a DVLA medical before getting your license back. Can anyone tell me, is there a breath reading limit over which a medical is compulsory? It seems it's not compulsory in all cases...

thanks

W

I've seen there's a lot of posts on here relating to having to take a DVLA medical before getting your license back. Can anyone tell me, is there a breath reading limit over which a medical is compulsory? It seems it's not compulsory in all cases...

thanks

W

People who are classed as high risk offenders are required to take a DVLA medical. High Risk Offenders are drivers who:

• Have been disqualified by order of a court for being over two and a half times the legal drink driving limit with a blood alcohol content that equalled or exceeded:

(i) 87.5 microgrammes per 100 millilitres of breath, or
    (ii) 200 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of blood, or
    (iii) 267.5 milligrammes per 100 millilitres of urine; OR
  • Have been disqualified on two or more occasions within a period of 10 years for a drink drive offence.

The reason why some people who should have been classed as high risk offenders and werent was due to the fact that errors were made by the police, the courts and the DVLA in reporting certain peoples alcohol levels. More information about this can be found here.

Last edited:
yeah the rules are as follows (taken directly from the DVLA website)

High Risk Offenders are drivers who:

• Have been disqualified on two or more occasions within a period of 10 years for a drink drive offence.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off