Medical

Convicted Driver Insurance

Stuart1980

Hi guys, I just got my letter from the dvla stating the doctor to use for my medical.
Before I get to the point I was still drinking quite heavily and was told I should wait at least two months before getting my medical done. I have only not had a drink for a fortnight.
It says on the letter I need to book my appointment 4 days from the date of the letter receipt, however it’s dated the 8th (today is the 15th of September). Also I know I will surely not be able to pass the medical.
Has anyone got any experience on this matter?
is it best to just reapply now? The last thing I need to do is fail this.

It says to wait at least 4 days before you try to book. It should also say you have to make the appointment within 12 weeks. I couldn’t make the first appointment offered so took a later one, meaning it was 8 weeks after the letter and still well within the limit.

Also I know I will surely not be able to pass the medical.
Has anyone got any experience on this matter?
is it best to just reapply now? The last thing I need to do is fail this.

You could book the medichecks test along with a clinic visit (not the nurse visiting your house, as there are delays) and you’d know your likely result in a few days. Would help you decide how long you might need to delay. If you go into the actual medical blind, then you are facing a couple of months of uncertainty. Myself and others are already into week six SINCE the DVLA medical without any updates.

You could book the medichecks test along with a clinic visit (not the nurse visiting your house, as there are delays) and you’d know your likely result in a few days. Would help you decide how long you might need to delay. If you go into the actual medical blind, then you are facing a couple of months of uncertainty. Myself and others are already into week six SINCE the DVLA medical without any updates.
I cringe when i read some of these posts now having gone through the process myself.

My 12 months medical licence expired in July after being reinstated last year (2020). I was surprisingly sent all of the forms 90 days prior to the licence expiring, in April 2021. I filled in all the forms and sent them straight away, and then nothing.....

On 1st July 2021, I received a letter from DVLA saying they had received my forms and were writing to my GP for further information and they would get back to me ASAP. I wasn't worried however as I am able to drive under a Section 88. I haven't bothered chasing them, as I have until July 2022 before it becomes an issue.

I have today received another letter from DVLA, I was presuming it was inviting me for my medical, however not so! The letter says that they wrote to me, then wrote to my GP but '...as you are aware, Covid is causing delays...' and therefore they are still waiting to assess my case!

Now I'm not sure if it is my GP who is at blame for the delay, or those nice chaps in Swansea? However, 5 months since sending the forms and still no sign of being called for my medical seems a little annoying....

Ho hum, I'll wait a bit longer before bothering to stress about getting through to them to be told standard phrases that they must read from their computers. :cool:

My 12 months medical licence expired in July after being reinstated last year (2020). I was surprisingly sent all of the forms 90 days prior to the licence expiring, in April 2021. I filled in all the forms and sent them straight away, and then nothing.....

On 1st July 2021, I received a letter from DVLA saying they had received my forms and were writing to my GP for further information and they would get back to me ASAP. I wasn't worried however as I am able to drive under a Section 88. I haven't bothered chasing them, as I have until July 2022 before it becomes an issue.

I have today received another letter from DVLA, I was presuming it was inviting me for my medical, however not so! The letter says that they wrote to me, then wrote to my GP but '...as you are aware, Covid is causing delays...' and therefore they are still waiting to assess my case!

Now I'm not sure if it is my GP who is at blame for the delay, or those nice chaps in Swansea? However, 5 months since sending the forms and still no sign of being called for my medical seems a little annoying....

Ho hum, I'll wait a bit longer before bothering to stress about getting through to them to be told standard phrases that they must read from their computers. :cool:
I will be in the same position next year tom having been granted a 1 year licence. Have you continued to keep in contact with your Gp since they issued you a 1 year licence. I do not see any reason to bother my Gp as i am well and fit and just passed 12 months blood tests (liver function) and a dvla medical.

I will be in the same position next year tom having been granted a 1 year licence. Have you continued to keep in contact with your Gp since they issued you a 1 year licence. I do not see any reason to bother my Gp as i am well and fit and just passed 12 months blood tests (liver function) and a dvla medical.
To be honest Les, I have only seen the GP once - mainly because of Covid. She said I looked 'much better' than the previous times I have seen her in the previous years, let's hope she put this on the notes! ;) Just keep up what you're doing, as you are now on a medical licence rather than a HRO, things should hopefully be a bit more straightforward!

To be honest Les, I have only seen the GP once - mainly because of Covid. She said I looked 'much better' than the previous times I have seen her in the previous years, let's hope she put this on the notes! ;) Just keep up what you're doing, as you are now on a medical licence rather than a HRO, things should hopefully be a bit more straightforward!
Got my CBT in 2 weeks so back on the road all be it on 2 wheels :ROFLMAO:

Why does it take an extra 4 days for a letter from the DVLA to arrive with the Doctor who will be doing your examination? My letter arrived from the DVLA on Tuesday 14th September (dated 8th September,) and the Doctor practice has still not received any correspondence from the DVLA.

Surely both letters should be sent simultaneously?

Why does it take an extra 4 days for a letter from the DVLA to arrive with the Doctor who will be doing your examination? My letter arrived from the DVLA on Tuesday 14th September (dated 8th September,) and the Doctor practice has still not received any correspondence from the DVLA.

Surely both letters should be sent simultaneously?
Well one would think so, but by the same token , on the basis of our experiences, have any of us any reason whatsoever to expect that logic ( as we see it) would be applied to DVLA practices ? 🤔

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off