Medical questions

Convicted Driver Insurance

Jazmin

DVLA refered me for my medical to a practice which was around an hr away from where i live.There is a surgery in the place where im located and several others within 10miles but i assumed none were registered with DVLA.
I was told at the practice that my blood test would be sent to London where it would be tested and the doctor said that the results would go directly from London to DVLA so i have no way of knowing what the results are.
That was just over 2 weeks ago, yesterday i received a letter from DVLA asking me for further information about "another"medical problem! I don't know if the word another is just a simple termanology because i only mentioned one medical problem on the form at the time of the medical exam...The form i recieved yesterday basicaly asks for my doctors name and address, the medication i take, what i was diagnosed with and the last time i saw my doctor.These were the same questions i answered on the medical exam forms so they already have the information.
The condition i was diagnosed with was depression and although i was treated for it i still take the medication as many who have suffered depression do, it is very common for people to continue the medication for several years.I have not seen a doctor in the last 2 yrs about the depression as i feel well...I can see DVLA will most probably contact my doctor and i have nothing to fear or hide if they do but i am worried that they refuse my licence based on a diagnosis of depression.Half the world is on antidepressants and apart from those who have severe problems most people drive.
Im quite confused, if i had failed the blood test ( i didnt drink any alcohol for 10 weeks prior to the test) would DVLA still push on with further medical questions...

Your licence will be safe providing the doctor says your safe to drive on the medication provided # given the fact he's never been concerned previously with your medication it's highly unlikely your licence will be in threat,
Yes the dvla will explore further questioning your GP, the fact you have not been for 2 years is slightly negative bairing in mind were also talking mental health regarding depressants, however if your GP is happy there won't be any red flags it's all standard procedures

Your licence will be safe providing the doctor says your safe to drive on the medication provided # given the fact he's never been concerned previously with your medication it's highly unlikely your licence will be in threat,
Yes the dvla will explore further questioning your GP, the fact you have not been for 2 years is slightly negative bairing in mind were also talking mental health regarding depressants, however if your GP is happy there won't be any red flags it's all standard procedures
Thank you for your reply Craig, yes i agree i also think not having been for the past 2 years is also slightly negative even though it could be assumed that im doing Ok not having the need to go back. Having said that after talking to other friends from other practices it does seem that doctors send for follow ups on their patients with antidepressant medication to review heir situation....My surgery hands out the pills and seems to leave you to get on with it. I guess the onus therefor is upon myself to make an appointment to go back for a review...do you think doing so right now would raise suspicion with dvla or would it be in my own interests? for example when dvla write to my doctor he may not feel he can not give them an honest answer not having seen me for the past 2 years and ask to see me anyway which adds further time to my application or am i just over thinking it all?

DVLA refered me for my medical to a practice which was around an hr away from where i live.There is a surgery in the place where im located and several others within 10miles but i assumed none were registered with DVLA.
I was told at the practice that my blood test would be sent to London where it would be tested and the doctor said that the results would go directly from London to DVLA so i have no way of knowing what the results are.
That was just over 2 weeks ago, yesterday i received a letter from DVLA asking me for further information about "another"medical problem! I don't know if the word another is just a simple termanology because i only mentioned one medical problem on the form at the time of the medical exam...The form i recieved yesterday basicaly asks for my doctors name and address, the medication i take, what i was diagnosed with and the last time i saw my doctor.These were the same questions i answered on the medical exam forms so they already have the information.
The condition i was diagnosed with was depression and although i was treated for it i still take the medication as many who have suffered depression do, it is very common for people to continue the medication for several years.I have not seen a doctor in the last 2 yrs about the depression as i feel well...I can see DVLA will most probably contact my doctor and i have nothing to fear or hide if they do but i am worried that they refuse my licence based on a diagnosis of depression.Half the world is on antidepressants and apart from those who have severe problems most people drive.
Im quite confused, if i had failed the blood test ( i didnt drink any alcohol for 10 weeks prior to the test) would DVLA still push on with further medical questions...
I just had my my medical. I haven’t seen my gp since my arrest 20 months ago, because I’ve not needed to. I was very worried thst this would look suspicious.. but the dr I saw on Monday says not at all. I was prescribed antidepressants within last 3 years but I only took them for a few weeks. I wasn’t even asked about antidepressants. In fact I was worried for no reason as the dr I saw said DVLA don’t routinely ask for medical history unless the dvla dr examining you has concerns. Mine didn’t and I’ve since checked with my Gp and they have not been asked for my records by DVLA. Dvla don’t always ask for HRO records, it’s not a routine practice unless there have been flags raised

I thought i would add further as to what happened after filling in the form and posting it off to Dvla . A few days ago i received a letter from Dvla telling me my CDT results were 0.8% and that i would receive my licence in the post within the next 14days...Going through the rest of my post i noticed another envelope from Dvla..It was indeed my licence! I really do not know if they did contact my doctor asking for further info regarding the depression, if they did then the turn around was very quick..about a week! so it does make me wonder if they had actually contacted them given the time scale...I am delighted to get my licence back even though i don't yet have a car, i'm in no rush...

Hi Jazmin,

Congratulations on getting your license returned, enjoy getting back on the road!

Recounting from my own experiences, when I had my medical over a year ago now, the DVLA sent the standard response to my GP asking if there was any alcohol related problems over the past 2 years.

Unfortunately for myself, I ended up in a bar in the early hours of one morning after a fairly catastrophic night out and managed to keel over, stone dead drunk and smash most of my face up, whereby an ambulance was called and I was carted off to hospital. Not the proudest moment in my life as I eventually woke up with two black eyes and a substantial gash on my chin, but this was logged on the NHS system with full disclosure of what I had done and what had been broken, and when I asked my GP for a list of all medical problems in preparation for the DVLA medical, I was “bricking it” is probably an understatement. Safe to say that 3 weeks later, my license turned up in the post, no questions asked.

I didn’t lie on the questionnaire in the surgery and stated that I had been in hospitalised in the past 2 years as a result of alcohol consumption and the doctor simply asked me about this and I explained it to her, whereby she wrote a note at the side saying pretty much exactly what I had told her.

Obviously nothing came of this as they had probably seen that was an isolated incident and there had been nothing reported for the next 13 months.

Safe to say my nose will never be the same again!

MM

Last edited:
I guess it just shows that many people worry about some things and it all turns out ok! I don't think i will ever stop feeling ashamed of driving over the limit and the realisation of someone being harmed because of my stupidity dosen't bare thinking about, never mind the criminal record etc but all these thoughts were not present under the influence of alcohol, it is a powerful distraction that i hope never ever to repeat...Living in a small village where people hide behind the curtains dosen't make it any easier to get on the road again..All eyes focused so that's my first hurdle that i have to overcome, makes the medical feel like a doddle! Thanks to all who replied.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off