Medical questionnaire - Dr completed

Convicted Driver Insurance

Paula74

Morning, my Dr has completed the DVLA medical questionnaire and it was sent off on the 22nd Oct. A copy has been sent to me as per my request. It states on the questionnaire that am 'Alcohol Dependant' and that am now free from Dependence and have been for 2 years 10 months. I've only been the doctors twice since 2015! does this mean I will be refused my license?

If your doctor has said you have a history of alcohol dependence then the dvla like u to be alcohol free for at least 12 months. If your gp has said u have abstained for the 2 year 10 months period then I would think that will satisfy the dvla. Would u mind telling me what questions are on the doctors questionnaire? Is it much the same as the one we fill out ourselves?

If your doctor has said you have a history of alcohol dependence then the dvla like u to be alcohol free for at least 12 months. If your gp has said u have abstained for the 2 year 10 months period then I would think that will satisfy the dvla. Would u mind telling me what questions are on the doctors questionnaire? Is it much the same as the one we fill out ourselves?
I have not abstained and I mentioned this at my DVLA medical that I probably drink about 2 bottles of wine per month. I've never been the doctors about alcohol problems? Questions - asks about alcohol consumption over the last 6 years / any detoxification treatment / if had any seizures / if had any bloods taken in the last 6 years and the results if you had.

I have not abstained and I mentioned this at my DVLA medical that I probably drink about 2 bottles of wine per month. I've never been the doctors about alcohol problems? Questions - asks about alcohol consumption over the last 6 years / any detoxification treatment / if had any seizures / if had any bloods taken in the last 6 years and the results if you had.

Paula

If you have no identifiable alcohol problems in your medical history you might be okay - two bottles of wine over the course of a month should be less than the recommended daily intake of alcohol units, which stands at 14 units per week.

The problem is if you are a HRO with a recorded medical history of alcohol related problems - the DVLA will put you in the category of 'misuser' or 'dependant' where it is complete zero tolerance to alcohol consumption.

Even declaring a drop of brandy to get rid of a cold will stop you getting your licence back if you have a back history of alcohol related problems.

As long as you have no medical history linked to alcohol and your GP confirms this, you should be okay declaring you drink under the recommended daily units.

Some drivers with no history of alcohol abuse do make the mistake of saying they drink say 20-30 units a week, which is a big fat 'no-no' with the DVLA - licence refused or revoked!!!!

Only declare you drink within the guidelines if you are not classed as a misuser or dependant.

CJ

Paula

If you have no identifiable alcohol problems in your medical history you might be okay - two bottles of wine over the course of a month should be less than the recommended daily intake of alcohol units, which stands at 14 units per week.

The problem is if you are a HRO with a recorded medical history of alcohol related problems - the DVLA will put you in the category of 'misuser' or 'dependant' where it is complete zero tolerance to alcohol consumption.

Even declaring a drop of brandy to get rid of a cold will stop you getting your licence back if you have a back history of alcohol related problems.

As long as you have no medical history linked to alcohol and your GP confirms this, you should be okay declaring you drink under the recommended daily units.

Some drivers with no history of alcohol abuse do make the mistake of saying they drink say 20-30 units a week, which is a big fat 'no-no' with the DVLA - licence refused or revoked!!!!

Only declare you drink within the guidelines if you are not classed as a misuser or dependant.

CJ
So much good advice on here Really helped me to not lose the plot during my ban and DVLA bureaucracy (being polite) My DVLA Dr said that one person was so nervous about seeing her that she - voluntarily - mentioned she had to have a brandy beforehand.

Paula

CJ
On the doctors medical questionnaire the first question asks in the past 6 years has your patient suffered from alcohol dependence. He has ticked NO but then crossed it out and put YES - then it asks are they now free from dependence and he's put YES, - then its states how long been under control and he's put 2 years 10 months! Am really confused as I've never been the doctors with alcohol problems in the past. I did however attend an Alcohol service after I had my accident due to my children's dad taking me to court over the children. I attended 3 sessions and was signed off! I presume as I attended an alcohol service they informed my doctor hence why he has stated alcohol dependant. Am really worried that they will totally refuse me my licence.

On the doctors medical questionnaire the first question asks in the past 6 years has your patient suffered from alcohol dependence. He has ticked NO but then crossed it out and put YES - then it asks are they now free from dependence and he's put YES, - then its states how long been under control and he's put 2 years 10 months! Am really confused as I've never been the doctors with alcohol problems in the past. I did however attend an Alcohol service after I had my accident due to my children's dad taking me to court over the children. I attended 3 sessions and was signed off! I presume as I attended an alcohol service they informed my doctor hence why he has stated alcohol dependant. Am really worried that they will totally refuse me my licence.

Paula74

Without bursting your bubble - you might have an issue here. If the DVLA doctor or your GP has ticked 'YES' to any alcohol issues AND you have disclosed drinking two bottles of wine each month, you may get your licence refused.

I am not too sure how long the DVLA has implemented the sobriety period for - it may be three years if previous alcohol problems are raised on your medical file.

My own mindset is to stick with a sobriety date in the past, use this as a benchmark and never disclose any alcohol consumption since the sobriety date.

I would ensure a strict zero tolerance approach to alcohol consumption as long as the DVLA have you under the spotlight as a HRO (which can last for six years, sometimes longer).

It can be very problematic - having historic alcohol problems from say 2016/17, then saying you no longer have a dependency and consume 10 units a week.

The DVLA medical team seem to play by their own rules - I don't trust them at all when it comes to things like this because it can always result in a licence refusal if you have disclosed having that occasion drink.

CJ

Paula74

Without bursting your bubble - you might have an issue here. If the DVLA doctor or your GP has ticked 'YES' to any alcohol issues AND you have disclosed drinking two bottles of wine each month, you may get your licence refused.

I am not too sure how long the DVLA has implemented the sobriety period for - it may be three years if previous alcohol problems are raised on your medical file.

My own mindset is to stick with a sobriety date in the past, use this as a benchmark and never disclose any alcohol consumption since the sobriety date.

I would ensure a strict zero tolerance approach to alcohol consumption as long as the DVLA have you under the spotlight as a HRO (which can last for six years, sometimes longer).

It can be very problematic - having historic alcohol problems from say 2016/17, then saying you no longer have a dependency and consume 10 units a week.

The DVLA medical team seem to play by their own rules - I don't trust them at all when it comes to things like this because it can always result in a licence refusal if you have disclosed having that occasion drink.

CJ
Your correct my licence has been refused. Am going to speak to the doctor whom filled in the questionnaire as I've never gone to see a doctor with regards to Alcohol issues. However he has ticked the box stating am dependant....after he ticked not dependant and crossed it out!! I've never seen this doctor or any doctor for the last 3 years! The only explanation I can think of is that I referred myself to an alcohol service when I had my accident as my ex partner was threatening to take me to court regarding my children and my solicitor recommended to refer my self for advice. Of which I did I had three appointments and was told I didn't need to go back. I had a CDT done the same time and an alcohol hair strand test which both came back negative. I'd say I've misused alcohol in the past but I wouldn't say am dependent.

Can you appeal the DVLA's decision? I was completely honest with the DVLA Medical and my test came back 0.7%

Am so frustrated......

Your correct my licence has been refused. Am going to speak to the doctor whom filled in the questionnaire as I've never gone to see a doctor with regards to Alcohol issues. However he has ticked the box stating am dependant....after he ticked not dependant and crossed it out!! I've never seen this doctor or any doctor for the last 3 years! The only explanation I can think of is that I referred myself to an alcohol service when I had my accident as my ex partner was threatening to take me to court regarding my children and my solicitor recommended to refer my self for advice. Of which I did I had three appointments and was told I didn't need to go back. I had a CDT done the same time and an alcohol hair strand test which both came back negative. I'd say I've misused alcohol in the past but I wouldn't say am dependent.

Can you appeal the DVLA's decision? I was completely honest with the DVLA Medical and my test came back 0.7%

Am so frustrated......
Paula

I'm sorry to hear about this.

If you read some of the threads on here you will come to appreciate that there is being honest, then there is being too honest with the DVLA!!!!

I always think about the cold and flu scenario here - your CDT is under 1.0% and you don't drink anything other than a small drop of whiskey to deal with a cold. The DVLA will still refuse you for this.

Unfortunately, being a HRO in the misuser or dependant category means you technically cannot consume any alcohol. It is rather a zero tolerance approach by the DVLA.

Regarding the appeals process, this is generally an up hill struggle with most people still being refused their licence at the end. I can't really comment further because I have never been through the appeals process.

Good luck anyway.

CJ

Am so frustrated......
Sorry to hear about this. It’s the annoying technicality of being placed into the dependent category.
Looking at your drinking habits and your CDT you will be fine when you reapply in 12 months time. I think you have a few options.
Attempt to appeal, but I think the DVLA have a 100% success rate in their favour.
Or
Speak to your doctor and get a date of last drink logged, tell them you are going to remain abstinent. Never disclose to them if you ever drink again. And get regular LFT’s done to ‘prove’ your abstinence. Keeping your drinking to a minimum to ensure you stay within the safe parameters.
Or
To remain abstinent for the 12 month period, proving it with LFT’s and a sober date with the GP. And repeat the process.

Sorry to hear about this. It’s the annoying technicality of being placed into the dependent category.
Looking at your drinking habits and your CDT you will be fine when you reapply in 12 months time. I think you have a few options.
Attempt to appeal, but I think the DVLA have a 100% success rate in their favour.
Or
Speak to your doctor and get a date of last drink logged, tell them you are going to remain abstinent. Never disclose to them if you ever drink again. And get regular LFT’s done to ‘prove’ your abstinence. Keeping your drinking to a minimum to ensure you stay within the safe parameters.
Or
To remain abstinent for the 12 month period, proving it with LFT’s and a sober date with the GP. And repeat the process.
Thank you for your reply. Am really confused.....basically if I said in my medical that I had not drank for 12 months I would of been given my licence back going on my CDT levels?

Mr Doctor has ticked the box saying that my drinking has been under control for 2 years 10 months? there's been no persistent alcohol misuse in the last 3 years. I really think the DVLA have been really harsh!

I spoke to the Doctor about it and he just said I just need to apply for my licence again. I mentioned about going for LFT's to prove my non drinking and he said its not necessary. Baring in mind I've never met this Doctor whom completed my form. I don't want to risk not getting my license back. Do I contact my Doctor and say I've been abstinent from 1st Nov 2021 so its logged? am so frustrated. Do I demand I get LFT's done every few months?

Thank you for your reply. Am really confused.....basically if I said in my medical that I had not drank for 12 months I would of been given my licence back going on my CDT levels?

Mr Doctor has ticked the box saying that my drinking has been under control for 2 years 10 months? there's been no persistent alcohol misuse in the last 3 years. I really think the DVLA have been really harsh!

I spoke to the Doctor about it and he just said I just need to apply for my licence again. I mentioned about going for LFT's to prove my non drinking and he said its not necessary. Baring in mind I've never met this Doctor whom completed my form. I don't want to risk not getting my license back. Do I contact my Doctor and say I've been abstinent from 1st Nov 2021 so its logged? am so frustrated. Do I demand I get LFT's done every few months?
It’s understandable to be confused as the DVLA give no information as to the rules they follow. This forum has been very helpful in seeing how the process works based on the success of people who take certain precautions to get their licenses back.

The DVLA might not take your word for it if you say you are abstinent therefore the advice on here is to get LFT’s done over the course of the 12 months to provide ‘proof’ to back your claim.
Personally I would try and get them to at least give you two LFT’s over the year.
Having said that, I only had one around the time they filled out the form and that was sufficient

Definitely inform your GP of the date of your last drink as they will write that in the next questionnaire they receive.

Very frustrating because they have very rigid rules around ‘dependency’ and once you are tarred with that brush they require you to never drink again.
From this point on, honesty is not always the best policy when it comes to the DVLA.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off