Medical paperwork not received

Convicted Driver Insurance
Hi, did you call them?

Hello young man. Did you call them?
I'm 314 days since whole application went in.
I'm 161 days since medical department have had GP report and no medical or decision at all.
I will probably call later today.
The way its looking it'll probably be an application time of a year and a half if I get a medical tomorrow but I think there's zero chance of that happening.
I did call them, I'm currently around 340-350 days since I put my application through the post. I reapplied in February 2021, got unbanned in April 2021, then had my medical in July 2021.

I did call them, I'm currently around 340-350 days since I put my application through the post. I reapplied in February 2021, got unbanned in April 2021, then had my medical in July 2021.
Hi, I called them earlier, it's actually 317 days since application was received.
No further formal progress unfortunately.
Some positives though from the very friendly and extremely helpful call advisor who was brilliant throughout (Richard).
I had already been told by other advisors there were no issues in any way regarding report or application.
Upon further detailed questioning regarding exactly what this means he informed that the GP report confirms I had met the required standards for driving (which is great). This means that there are absolutely no reasons for licence not to be issued immediately once the doctor reviews the report and that the doctor should just issue it without the need either to contact my two consultants or to take a medical / urine test which is great also though being a call handler he naturally would not say my licence would definitely be issued.
He did say that if there were any issues of any lack of information needed in go report then it would not have progressed this long as they would have required further information . So kind of circular logic - doc "should" issue licence without urine test as gp report says meet all standards to drive but advisor cannot say "will" issue even though says he "should" as all standards have been met.
Additionally, the advisor realised my S88 will be expiring on March 7th and has sent me out the form and letter to reapply for this right away.
He also stated (though I did stress that this was his own opinion and he agreed) that I should not have to wait much longer for the doctor to see my GP report and issue due to the time I have already waited.
Furthermore, when questioned about why some peoples' applications were reviewed before mine despite dvla policy of chronological order he explained that this was because if the doctors have any issue with an application they cannot deal with any other applications until that case is fully resolved and then they can progress to the next one.
So, no formal update but looking good.
Thank xxxx for that, excuse the French.
EDIT : I forgot to mention that the advisor informed me that I have been on a yearly medical licence since January 2017, so that's 5 years!!

Last edited:
Something along the lines of "we haven't received any new information and you will be the first person who is advised on the next steps but unfortunately the urine sample is still being dealt with by the labs"
7 months later smh still being dealt with by lab diabolical

7 months later smh still being dealt with by lab diabolical
DVLA told me today that they have a new lab they are dealing with and something else positive about how they deal with things but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what he said. It came up in the conversation as I spoke of the horrendous waiting time I have read of after urine samples had been taken as I had said to him that this would make my own application a year and a half long.

I
DVLA told me today that they have a new lab they are dealing with and something else positive about how they deal with things but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what he said. It came up in the conversation as I spoke of the horrendous waiting time I have read of after urine samples had been taken as I had said to him that this would make my own application a year and
Good to hear clearly the old lab was no good
DVLA told me today that they have a new lab they are dealing with and something else positive about how they deal with things but unfortunately I can't remember exactly what he said. It came up in the conversation as I spoke of the horrendous waiting time I have read of after urine samples had been taken as I had said to him that this would make my own application a year and a half long.

I hope that you get sorted. S88 cover only lasts for 12 months, there is no extension to the 12 months but I have seen on here where DVLA allowed another application to be submitted on a couple of occasions. Unless they do allow you to resubmit then you would have to wait for the first one to go through, with no more driving until it does.

You MUST get their agreement for this, you cannot just submit another application and carry on driving without it.
Hi Price,
Just to say that I called medical department yesterday regarding my case and timescale. The very helpful advisor realised my S88 was up early March and offered to send out the paperwork to reapply for it.
I will return it immediately due to backlog.
So that's a few people you are aware of now who has done it.

Thanks for that.
Before covid struck it was extremely rare for enquiries to go on for 12 months, triggering the time running out under S88.
With the current situation and the backlog in dealing with HRO medicals and the follow ups, I trust that DVLA will take the sensible decision that they have with you more often, where necessary.
Of course it needs the intervention of the person by applying for this, DVLA will not get in touch to offer an extension off their own bat!

Thanks for that.
Before covid struck it was extremely rare for enquiries to go on for 12 months, triggering the time running out under S88.
With the current situation and the backlog in dealing with HRO medicals and the follow ups, I trust that DVLA will take the sensible decision that they have with you more often, where necessary.
Of course it needs the intervention of the person by applying for this, DVLA will not get in touch to offer an extension off their own bat!
No bother, I though you might have been interested in knowing.
The advisor told me several times that the gp report has confirmed that I have met all the required driving standards and that their doctor should just issue licence immediately without need for medical, urine test or further enquiries though (naturally) could not say he "will" issue.
The advisor was incredibly helpful and couldn't have done any more. He also added a few things to my notes potentially to assist me.
He also arranged for a covering letter to be sent out with the S88 application so that gives me authorisation to reapply.
In his opinion my application should be reviewed "soon" by doctor though he is essentially covering my back by volunteering the new application.
He was fantastic and was doing whatever he could to assist in every way.
So very, very positive overall despite no decision from Doctor.
From what he said there is no actual "decision" to be made. I have met all the standards so licence should be issued with nothing else needed - it just needs doctor to authorise it.
Advisor also told me I've been on annual licence since 2017, 5 years.
Anyway, sorry for the long story, I just thought I'd let you know about the new S88 and the full details.

The advisor told me several times that the gp report has confirmed that I have met all the required driving standards and that their doctor should just issue licence immediately without need for medical, urine test or further enquiries though (naturally) could not say he "will" issue.
The advisor was incredibly helpful and couldn't have done any more. He also added a few things to my notes potentially to assist me.
He also arranged for a covering letter to be sent out with the S88 application so that gives me authorisation to reapply.
In his opinion my application should be reviewed "soon" by doctor though he is essentially covering my back by volunteering the new application.
From what he said there is no actual "decision" to be made. I have met all the standards so licence should be issued with nothing else needed - it just needs doctor to authorise it.
Anyway, sorry for the long story, I just thought I'd let you know about the new S88 and the full details.
That sounds very promising Nile, glad you got somewhere. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much longer then?

good information here, and nice to hear that someone from DVLA has taken an interest in your predicament and done their best to help. Perhaps he could run some courses in customer relations for the other 3,999 staff there…….

That sounds very promising Nile, glad you got somewhere. I'm guessing it shouldn't be too much longer then?
Hi, I'm hopeful but not optimistic I suppose.
The advisor was superb but this was only his opinion based on his experience and of current timescales. He was relatively confident though that it would not be long.
As I said, there is no actual decision to be made I my opinion based on what I was told. According to him the doctor should simply just authorise the licence as there is nothing else required as I've met all the required standards so no test or contact with gp or consultants which is all very positive I suppose.
The issue is how long it will be until their doc gets round to my case.
I posted yesterday as to how their system works
He said it halfway through the conversation when he realised my S88 was up on March 7th and wanted to get the forms out and returned immediately because of the delays in processing forms. He did not wish me to go without driving for any reason. He even wrote on the notes that I could not buy or hire a car as I am not in possession of a physical licence. He did not have to do this. He was a real gem.
It did not dawn on me about the contradiction as I was too busy thanking him for his forward thinking and noticing this coming to an end. I was going to contact dvla anyway about S88 coming to an end and reapplying. He was incredibly helpful though they are all limited and very, very careful in what they say.
I had already told him that his view that I should hear soon was only his opinion and based on his experience and he fully agreed with this though he did say that on his experience mine was about the time to be reviewed. He did sound confident about it though.
If I had thought about the contradiction then I would have spoken directly about it.
He was covering my arse with the new S88 application as applying is not automatic or a right but can only be done with the permission of dvla before applying so he was giving me the permission which I believe is rarely given. If I remember correctly Price, who is very well known on the forum said a few weeks ago that he has known it on maybe two occasions. So the guy was doing everything he could to help me.
He was also covering his earlier statement as neither he or anyone else can possibly give any timeline at all in any way. It all comes back to the whole thing about being stopped in the queue that we spoke of earlier.
In terms of you "proving" you are fit to drive, you already have answered the question - your GP has already told you that you are.
I can't remember your exact case details as it's 5 30am and I've been up all night since yesterday but I take it your licence has been revoked for the alleged cannabis use? It's usually 6 months for cannabis as far as I recall.
If you haven't done a medical yet then you need to stop smoking no matter what, it doesn't matter how little you smoke. You initially said that you did not smoke then you said that you had the occasional puff.
That's a conversation for tomorrow and I will go into further detail as to why.
Also, remember you may receive notice any day about your application or medical so you need to be clean.
Or is it the case that you cannot reapply at this time because you didn't fill in the forms? Even so, the same rules apply! 😭🙏 Basically no smoking.
BTW, did your girlfriend tell cops it was her stuff? If not then that may well have been the reason why they contacted dvla, I know you said you gave a no comment interview, did they talk to her also? Did either of you get charged, from memory I don't think you did? Think of it like the old proverbial "who was driving, me or the wife" for not taking the points for a speeding offence.
They either charge someone or let both go, I would liken it to that...they didn't do you for possession but they told dvla it was in your car so it could have been yours... I'm just surprised and puzzled as to why they didn't roadside test you for consumption but maybe they thought you would cough up for the possession when at the station.
You could ask Price - there's a number after his name but I can't remember it as its now 5 45 and I've been writing this for 20 minutes - I only got out of bed to have a quick ciggie as couldn't sleep!!!
Anyway, Price, being a cop for decades, desk sergeant and running his own company that deals with drink drivers etc may know the answer to some of your points... drink driving is his speciality though but he is very knowledgeable about some procedures.
Can I ask you again, why did you pm me initially? Was it because I have listed about cannabis many times? . I seem to be one of the very few, if not the only one who has lots of experience with this and dvla urine tests and urine/ GCMS tests as well as lots of experience in cannabis detox information.
By the way, for your information I do not smoke anymore and have not done so for three years, not even one single puff!!
Anyway, I'm away now, it's 5 54 am, I need another ciggie after all this.
All the best.
PM me if you want to continue or answer any of my points or questions
Nike

good information here, and nice to hear that someone from DVLA has taken an interest in your predicament and done their best to help. Perhaps he could run some courses in customer relations for the other 3,999 staff there…….
Thanks Price, I queried him in detail regarding the procedure about the queueing system as I wanted to let others know and of interest he informed that each application firstly goes to the doctor with the shortest queue (already knew that) but then if that application has any issues then everying else comes to a halt and they have to resolve every issue with that case before they can move on to the next case which I found interesting and it goes some way to explain delays.
Interestingly I gave him an analogy as he explained it in a very convoluted way (someone in front of you with a loaded shopping trolley and you only have a basket with a couple of tins of beans and they won't let you go in front) and he said that this was a fantastic analogy, that he'd never thought or heard of it and would now pass it onto other people.
I told him several times that he had a great manner and way about him and he was very surprised I think that he was getting compliments and sounded embarrassed, there were a few "aaw, shucks" type moments. I do think though that you can bring this on yourself though by always engaging calmly, warmly, politely and by being decent and down to earth even when you are not happy with a service. There is no need to be uncivil and I am always very polite to people in shops etc. I always engage very well with police and have never had any issues and I think people respect that and reciprocate.

Hi, I'm hopeful but not optimistic I suppose.
The advisor was superb but this was only his opinion based on his experience and of current timescales. He was relatively confident though that it would not be long.
As I said, there is no actual decision to be made I my opinion based on what I was told. According to him the doctor should simply just authorise the licence as there is nothing else required as I've met all the required standards so no test or contact with gp or consultants which is all very positive I suppose.
The issue is how long it will be until their doc gets round to my case.
I posted yesterday as to how their system works

Thanks Price, I queried him in detail regarding the procedure about the queueing system as I wanted to let others know and of interest he informed that each application firstly goes to the doctor with the shortest queue (already knew that) but then if that application has any issues then everying else comes to a halt and they have to resolve every issue with that case before they can move on to the next case which I found interesting and it goes some way to explain delays.
Interestingly I gave him an analogy as he explained it in a very convoluted way (someone in front of you with a loaded shopping trolley and you only have a basket with a couple of tins of beans and they won't let you go in front) and he said that this was a fantastic analogy, that he'd never thought or heard of it and would now pass it onto other people.
I told him several times that he had a great manner and way about him and he was very surprised I think that he was getting compliments and sounded embarrassed, there were a few "aaw, shucks" type moments. I do think though that you can bring this on yourself though by always engaging calmly, warmly, politely and by being decent and down to earth even when you are not happy with a service. There is no need to be uncivil and I am always very polite to people in shops etc. I always engage very well with police and have never had any issues and I think people respect that and reciprocate.
I do exactly the same, very polite and calm and they have on a few occasions said thank you for being so patient and polite! There is honestly no point in being rude as it's not exactly the advisors fault..

I do exactly the same, very polite and calm and they have on a few occasions said thank you for being so patient and polite! There is honestly no point in being rude as it's not exactly the advisors fault..
Yeah, they also have to deal with c*** everyday. Too many people just give people cxxx on the phone, it's certainly nothing to do with the advisor.

Update day 195, MP revived this letter.

"
Dear Dr Davies
Thank you for your further email of 26 November 2021 for your constituent Mr ************
following my colleague Teri’s reply.
I do acknowledge that it is frustrating when an application takes some time to be processed.
Following administrative issues experienced by the laboratory responsible for testing urine
samples, we have now changed to a new laboratory. Samples awaiting testing are being dealt
with in date order. Once we receive the results of Mr ********’s test, his case will be reviewed
as a priority
However, in the meantime, if Mr ******** has any evidence that has not already been submitted
as a part of this enquiry, such as the results of any private drug screenings, he may send this
information to us for consideration. This can be sent to complaintsteam.medical@dvla.gov.uk.
Please mark the email for my attention and include the above reference number.
I understand that it may appear that we are being inflexible. This is not our intention. Our role is to
promote road safety and as we have the final responsibility for licensing, we need to ensure that
he can meet the required medical standards before we can consider relicensing. Our enquiries
are specifically designed for this purpose and must be completed."

So pretty much just telling me my urine has been sent to another lab. Hopefully not too much longer then 🤞

Hello
This does seem a long time to wait for a response, however that is how the DVLA are working at the moment, and maintaining service in the pandemic seems to have been a major challenge for them.
The response was measured, acknowledged the frustration that people are feeling, and showed some willingness to be helpful.
It’s interesting that they invite you to submit any test results that have been done independently, as I have not seen it mentioned anywhere on this forum that private pathology tests would be considered….on the contrary, we seem to do these for our own peace of mind, in the knowledge that the DVLA are unable to consider their accuracy. This is because there is no proof that the person submitting the sample was ourselves.
I hope you have some resolution soon
Kind regards Jane

Oh my! Called today and unexpectedly, urine sample was scanned on to the system on the 26th (yesterday) and today a doctor had recommended my licence, now waiting for last decision from "higher up" whatever that means. But she said my licence should be granted within the next week. So it's finally come to an end. I'll update when I actually see it's updated on the licence checker!

Oh my! Called today and unexpectedly, urine sample was scanned on to the system on the 26th (yesterday) and today a doctor had recommended my licence, now waiting for last decision from "higher up" whatever that means. But she said my licence should be granted within the next week. So it's finally come to an end. I'll update when I actually see it's updated on the licence checker!
Well done mate good news

Hi, that's great news at last, really pleased for you.

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off