Medical letter came through

Convicted Driver Insurance

Hollydadolly

Right so, I've received my letter to attend my medical and am, after a five year ban, very concerned about the whole thing.
Just a quick background: this will be the end of my 2nd DD ban. I've had issues with alcohol and wouldn't say dependent but having drinks almost every day for on and off the whole 5 years. I am diagnosed bipolar and BPD which I'm on no medication currently for but receiving therapy. I stopped drinking totally 6 months ago but had a few drinks about a month back. I eat healthily and my mental health is better than ever before.
Has anyone got any advice, or information that might help me passing my medical.
I am a carer full time and desperately need to get my licence for my job and independence.
Thank you

Right so, I've received my letter to attend my medical and am, after a five year ban, very concerned about the whole thing.
Just a quick background: this will be the end of my 2nd DD ban. I've had issues with alcohol and wouldn't say dependent but having drinks almost every day for on and off the whole 5 years. I am diagnosed bipolar and BPD which I'm on no medication currently for but receiving therapy. I stopped drinking totally 6 months ago but had a few drinks about a month back. I eat healthily and my mental health is better than ever before.
Has anyone got any advice, or information that might help me passing my medical.
I am a carer full time and desperately need to get my licence for my job and independence.
Thank you
Hi Holly,

Firstly you are in a similar place to many people on this forum. As a first poster may i suggest you look through the Medical forums thread that contains lots of help and advice. You will be classed as HRO which means you have a few more hoops and hurdles to get through.

You will need a medical, they will do a CDT check and they will check with your GP. Please do not panic. If you haven't been drinking for a month you should be ok ( i can't be positive but everyone is different age, sex, drinking history etc) and if your licence is important just stay away from alcohol. The medical is not worth panicking about ( there are threads that explain what and how). Key is your GP support and being honest on your medical questionnaire - because as HRO they will check.

There are very knowledgeable people on here, and we all support each other. Take a breath have a look at the forums and then if you have a specific question just post it - there is always someone to help.

One word of advice - when reading forums check the posting date - laws and process do change so don't reply on 2010 posts for example. Finally this will be a long process, especially with covid so take a breath , make your medical appointment and allow 12 weeks from the medical for DVLA to make a decision. It could be sooner but start off by looking at "worst case". Whatever happens do not let stress affect your mental health or turn to alcohol. take care :)

Reactions: TPR
Hi Holly,

Firstly you are in a similar place to many people on this forum. As a first poster may i suggest you look through the Medical forums thread that contains lots of help and advice. You will be classed as HRO which means you have a few more hoops and hurdles to get through.

You will need a medical, they will do a CDT check and they will check with your GP. Please do not panic. If you haven't been drinking for a month you should be ok ( i can't be positive but everyone is different age, sex, drinking history etc) and if your licence is important just stay away from alcohol. The medical is not worth panicking about ( there are threads that explain what and how). Key is your GP support and being honest on your medical questionnaire - because as HRO they will check.

There are very knowledgeable people on here, and we all support each other. Take a breath have a look at the forums and then if you have a specific question just post it - there is always someone to help.

One word of advice - when reading forums check the posting date - laws and process do change so don't reply on 2010 posts for example. Finally this will be a long process, especially with covid so take a breath , make your medical appointment and allow 12 weeks from the medical for DVLA to make a decision. It could be sooner but start off by looking at "worst case". Whatever happens do not let stress affect your mental health or turn to alcohol. take care :)
Thank you for your speedy reply. I've been reading through the threads and have gleened some good information so far and have taken in your response(and taking a deep breath!). I think the main concern is the history of misuse, mental health and previous bans. I am indeed a HRO and actually had a 2 year suspended sentance so it is very bad. I completed my court ordered course and attended all meetings 3 years back etc. Im prepping myself best I can. But yes expecting the worse, hoping for the best.

Reactions: TPR
Thank you for your speedy reply. I've been reading through the threads and have gleened some good information so far and have taken in your response(and taking a deep breath!). I think the main concern is the history of misuse, mental health and previous bans. I am indeed a HRO and actually had a 2 year suspended sentance so it is very bad. I completed my court ordered course and attended all meetings 3 years back etc. Im prepping myself best I can. But yes expecting the worse, hoping for the best.
Holly you can't change what is done, you can only change the future. So stop stressing over what's past (i know its easy to say but keep telling yourself you can't change the past) and lets focus on getting you back to the best. Stay clean, involve your GP where you can and be honest. The actual medical is simple, i've had worst trips to the shops. and if in doubt just ask. we can't always be online but the group on here is awesome and we will help when we can help

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off