MEDICAL HELP PLZ!!!!!!!

Convicted Driver Insurance
My latest letter also states: "Please allow 7 working days from the date of this letter for the kit to arrive. Please DO NOT make an appointment on the 3 days before a Bank Holiday, as the sample will not be analysed and you will be required to repeat the blood test." Wot the hell is this kit? I can only assume it has something to do with the new CDT testing and it will be sent to the franchise doctor. But the letter makes it sound like I am going to receive some kind of kit!!!!! DVLA get worse each year in explaining things. Has anyone else had a letter like this? Or perhaps it's just me because my application is a renewal!!!

My latest letter also states: "Please allow 7 working days from the date of this letter for the kit to arrive. Please DO NOT make an appointment on the 3 days before a Bank Holiday, as the sample will not be analysed and you will be required to repeat the blood test." Wot the hell is this kit? I can only assume it has something to do with the new CDT testing and it will be sent to the franchise doctor. But the letter makes it sound like I am going to receive some kind of kit!!!!! DVLA get worse each year in explaining things. Has anyone else had a letter like this? Or perhaps it's just me because my application is a renewal!!!

I got the same letter. I've been waiting over a week for my kit to arrive at the medical centre which is proving difficult. Phoned them every day since monday, no kit.

I'm pretty patient though. I did a very bad thing by driving over the limit so to expect an easy path back into driving was never my expectation. I'd just like to finally put it behind me.

It's better than jail for mowing someone down isn't it? Might as well stay positive.

I got the same letter. I've been waiting over a week for my kit to arrive at the medical centre which is proving difficult..

Ahh thank you, have you got any idea what is inside this kit? The need for a "kit" whatever a kit is!!!! Is totally new to me. It sounds like a kit that the lab use for testing CDT, like a syringe, needle, a little tube to put the blood in. I wonder if this KIT contains other things too like a prepaid jiffy bag or courier ticket to get it fast tracked to the lab. On my last 7 medicals the doctor has just took the blood squirted it in his Vial and sent it to our local pathologist to test. He got the results back lunch time the next day. Then I either ring him or he rings me .....Guess this wont be happening anymore:(

I bet you'rs does not say: We will pay for the medical examination but you must pay your travelling or other expenses.:). That's about the only thing in my letter that stops me from going mental.

Ahh thank you, have you got any idea what is inside this kit? The need for a "kit" whatever a kit is!!!! Is totally new to me. It sounds like a kit that the lab use for testing CDT, like a syringe, needle, a little tube to put the blood in. I wonder if this KIT contains other things too like a prepaid jiffy bag or courier ticket to get it fast tracked to the lab. On my last 7 medicals the doctor has just took the blood squirted it in his Vial and sent it to our local pathologist to test. He got the results back lunch time the next day. Then I either ring him or he rings me .....Guess this wont be happening anymore:(

Not aware really what's in the kit. I'll ask when it's finally in and I'll update this thread if they tell me. My paperwork is in so it shouldn't be far away. I'd imagine it's just the plastics and paperwork.

I'll be ringing them tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled. Hoping to get a date in july as it's going to require a day off work with the place being 20 odd miles away from home.

And no they don't pay my expenses haha. First and hopefully only medical so I'm paying £97.50 not including VAT.

And no they don't pay my expenses haha. First and hopefully only medical so I'm paying £97.50 not including VAT.

I wonder if DVLA have to pay the same! I know 100% they have already paid my doctor £40 x twice plus vat = £96 to my doctors surgery because my doctors secretary has given me copies of the letters they have sent them:D.

I wonder if DVLA have to pay the same! I know 100% they have already paid my doctor £40 x twice plus vat = £96 to my doctors surgery because my doctors secretary has given me copies of the letters they have sent them:D.

They'll get that back + VAT when I have my medical haha.

They'll get that back + VAT when I have my medical haha.

haha:) but not quite right, to my knowledge your money will go to the franchise doctors surgery, my franchise doctor use to insist on cash and put it in an old tin:confused:. I am not suggesting for on minute that it ends up in his pocket but that use to be the impression I got. He may of done it that way as part of a psychological test to see if I got paranoid and shown any signs of paranoia.

Is tipping frowned upon?

Never tried that but the doctor is just a normal GP in a normal health centre and has his normal everyday patients like your own GP. Bristol's franchise doc has been a dvla franchise doc for at least 23 years to my knowledge. He has told me cases where an applicant has attended the medical and had 15 pints of beer the day before, yet still passed. It is long term persistent drinking what DVLA are looking for.

I was going to use my dvla franchise doctor for an appeal once and he was going to do a further set of tests "at my expense" to state in his opinion I was not alcohol dependant. But because DVLA stated they had refused the application on other grounds, it was not worth me paying him for a report.

Still no kit. Asked what was in it and she didn't give much away. She mentioned urine sample so I don't know if that's typical. Hope I don't get stage fright.

DVLA aren't taking calls as they are busy. Need to order another kit.

Guess what I got today!!!! Yes a letter from DVLA telling me i need a medical. This is after 8 months after they received my renewal application and 5 months after my last short term licence expired. Also two of the puppets at DVLA had categorically told me I wont be needing a medical this time. The time scales have changed somewhat to the last time I received one of these letters some 20 months ago. I have attempted to upload the 2 pages of the current letter received today for your info and others but I cant seem to do it on these forums:eek:.

If you PM me I will attempt to do it on a PM. Basically you now have to wait 7 working days before you even phone the franchise doctor for an appointment. Plus you now have to attend the examination within 6 weeks of the date on this letter. Actually I think it was 6 weeks on my last examination too but this was impossible because the franchise doctor for my area was on long term sick for 3 months and the next closest franchise doctor was in Frome which is a small town 15 miles away from Bristol and his surgery was overwhelmed with medicals from Bristol as well as his own area, so they had a massive waiting list and it was impossible to get examined in 6 weeks on that occasion. Oh and in these circumstances DVLA were able to change the law and not revoke the application.

Well yesterday morning I decided to phone Montpelier health center in Bristol and make my appointment with Doctor Mitchell. The receptionist said he was away all next week and the earliest appointment was the 12 August. I explained this was no good, the results have to be back with DVLA within 6 weeks of them sending out the letter. She apologised but categorically told me they had NO dvla medical appointments available till 12th August. I accepted this appointment but told her I would need to explain the situation to DVLA.

I the phoned DVLA and spoke to "Puppet number one" who I will call Sherlock Holmes. The reason I call her Sherlock, perhaps I should call her "Miss Marpel" is because she put me on hold for 10 mins at my expense. Then she came back on the phone and accused me of telling lies, she said she had phoned Doctor Mitchell's surgery and been told they had appointments available this Monday 15th July. I argued with her and she tried to make me look a kunt in front the other "Clown" puppet that was sat next to her!!! I assured her I was not telling lies and would call the surgery again.

So I immediately called Montpelier health center again and accused the receptionist of being 2 faced and telling porkies to me. She assured me she was on the switchboard and had not received any calls from "Miss Marpel" and there was no appointments available till 12th August. She did ask a college and the college admitted receiving a call from "Miss Marpel" and did in fact tell Miss Marpel that they did have appointments available this Monday. So end of the day, Puppet "Miss Marpel" was right. However there were not any appointments available next Monday and Miss Marpel was given the wrong info. I am getting annoyed now and tell the DVLA franchise surgery to phone DVLA and explain the mistake. The receptionist does not know the DVLA telephone number and I have to tell her it.

I cant trust DVLA or the franchise surgery if the surgery do not know DVLA's phone number how can I believe they are even in contact with each other!!!. So I call dvla again, this time I speak to the "CLOWN". I explain the situation above and suggest he phones the surgery and sorts it out, then phones me back. The Clown would not have any of this, he thought I was pissed and making it all up.

I eventually lost my temper and told the clown that someone was either lieing or mistaken and it was either dvla or the doctors surgery but it certainly was not me. I then said I was on my way round to see my "Member of Parliament" of which the Clown agreed I was entitled to. He was adamant that he was not going to phone the franchise doctors surgery because he was not allowed to make appointments for me. I said, well "Miss Marple decided she had the power to do just that half hour earlier and she was given the wrong fukin info. NOW its upto you and your own franchise doctors to sort it out and find out who is in the wrong. PLEASE STOP ACCUSING ME OF TELLING LIES. It ended that he would get a supervisor to call me back.

An hour went by, no call from a manager. I call the normal line again, I'm sure they got call recognition because a manager answers the phone after 2 rings. Speaks to me like a human being, apologises for the mistakes agrees that I have in the meantime accepted a cancellation appointment on 5th August.

Im happy, I can sit in my garden and have a few extra beers this weekend:)

Update.

Had cdt test yesterday, feedback has been mentioned on other threads, yesterday and today. If I fail or get another short term licence I intend to appeal.

Keep the feedback coming guys, it really does help others.

Wow have just read the whole thing, what a nightmare. I too have a history of depression but have been off anti depressants for several months. Hopefully the DVLA dont have reason to enquire. Just so you guys know i also had my medical friday 9th of august. No urine test, just blood, must be that CDT test you guys have mentioned. I havent abstained from alcohol as i only drink on a friday or saturday night. I drink pretty much only beer but do get drunk. I dont consider myself to have a problem. Sometimes its once a fortnight. Typically i have been out around 4 times this past month and got drunk on a fri/sat so am rather worried. I had the test on a friday and got drunk the previous friday, so a week off other than 1 can. Wish i paid more attention to all this.I shall keep you posted and eagerly keep an eye on yours, bristol you deserve a break.

Not aware really what's in the kit. I'll ask when it's finally in and I'll update this thread if they tell me. My paperwork is in so it shouldn't be far away. I'd imagine it's just the plastics and paperwork.

I'll be ringing them tomorrow so keep your eyes peeled. Hoping to get a date in july as it's going to require a day off work with the place being 20 odd miles away from home.

Hi hope this helps!

the medical kit is never on time, all that it is is a test tube for your blood but marked with our individual numbers. Not sure if it does contain a urine sample as I did not have one. I had my test on the 8th and on the documentation it has to go to kings lab within two hours. Dvla have your results within a few days. I requested a copy of these which arrive promptly I can confirm you are only tested for alcohol. The percentage is at the bottom mine was <0.5 this seems a little inaccurate as I do drink at weekends obviously not an alcoholic so hopefully they will re issue my license !!

Enter code DRINKDRIVING10 during checkout for 10% off